Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/26/2012 8:34:29 PM EDT
Well my 18th birthday is coming up just in time for this panic buy I would like to grab a rifle cheap preferably in the $300 and im looking for any suggestions
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#1]
look for a used rifle. good deals still out there for bolt and lever action rifles.
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Semi, bolt action etc..?  Hunting? Just for plinking?

Bolt action- Stevens 200, Marlin X7, used Remington 700 or Savage.

Something cheap to shoot- Marlin 795 or Ruger 10/22

Maybe a Marlin lever action

Yugo or Chinese SKS if you hurry and find one
http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100001072&dir=700%7C701%7C1029
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 10:49:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Go find yourself an SKS. I like the ChiCom ones myself, but the Yugos are downright rugged. You wont be dissapointed
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:44:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep; what do you want to do with it?
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:52:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm an old guy (61) and have been looking down a barrel of some type or another since I was fifteen. Not preaching, not trash talking. If (yeah, I know) I was in your position, and  with all the current political circus going on, I'd consider a lever action 30-30 or preferably a bolt action in .270 or maybe in 30-06. My next goal would be to get a basic reloading set up and stock up on bullets, primers, and powder. Third goal would be a good scope and mounts. By reloading you'd have the light bullet weight option for varmits/coyotes or a heavy bullet weight for deer. This would also give you more control and less at the mercy of the market gyrations such as we are now experiencing. Semi autos are fun. My primary hunting gun is a DPMS LR 308. Its a fantastic rifle. But I also hunt with a 1950s Belgian Mauser in 30-06. Its really not a matter of how many bullets go down range, its can you hit and kill what you are shooting at. So my suggestion for a rifle is to get a good basic gun in a standard caliber, reload for it, and learn to shoot it well. I would definitely look in the used bolt action area.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:53:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Save up more.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:20:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Well is the 300 for just your rifle, or for the entire package?  Because you have to consider the cost of ammo, scopes, mounts, cleaning kit, etc.  I was in your position a few years ago (I am 20) and went with a used TCA venture that I got a great deal on.  My advice for if you are on a budget is something like a mosin nagant, you can grab the 91/30s for 100-115 if you look for deals.  A scope isn't too costly for these and you can buy the surplus 7.62x54r for about 80 bucks per 440 surplus rounds.  If you are just plinking look at some semi auto 22s, think marlin model 60, but if you want something more substantial the eastern bloc rifles are great deals.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 6:55:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I vote for the Mosin M91/30. You get a peice of history and an appreciation of all things wood and steel. Leave the rifle alone and buy ammo with the remainder of the money.

1. Basic rifle mechanics are learned through breaking down the bolt and checking for firing pin protrusion. Simple gunsmith is also learned from tunning the trigger and contact points on the bolt.
2. Maintenance via cleaning cosmoline and corrosive ammo.
3. Low cost of training with cheap surplus 54r.
4. Marksmanship, learning how to use iron sights and properly shouldering the rifle. The recoil of the 54r round is like a Zen master letting you know the rifle isn't properly shouldered through pain.
5. M91/30's teach you how to overcome bad sights, triggers, and recoil. Any quality firearm purchase after the Mosin will be seem like a dream come true.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 7:32:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Go find yourself an SKS. I like the ChiCom ones myself, but the Yugos are downright rugged. You wont be dissapointed

Yup. Yugo SKS was my first rifle and I'm never letting it go. Rugged, smooth action, and there isn't a lot that can break. Plus I like the Yugos better because they balance a little better with the grenade launcher on the front. And they have a rubber butt pad.

Regular pattern SKSs are lighter and a bit more handy, for lack of a better word. Either way, you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#10]
If it were me I would find a used marlin 30-30 lever gun and NEVER LET IT GO.
The value of marlins are going up and 30-30 is at every walmart and mom and pop hardware store that sells ammo.
An SKS is a good choice also if you want a semi blaster and will go up in value also I'm sure.
I guess it depends on your style and what you want to do with it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Did you even read the opening post?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I vote for the Mosin M91/30. You get a peice of history and an appreciation of all things wood and steel. Leave the rifle alone and buy ammo with the remainder of the money.

1. Basic rifle mechanics are learned through breaking down the bolt and checking for firing pin protrusion. Simple gunsmith is also learned from tunning the trigger and contact points on the bolt.
2. Maintenance via cleaning cosmoline and corrosive ammo.
3. Low cost of training with cheap surplus 54r.
4. Marksmanship, learning how to use iron sights and properly shouldering the rifle. The recoil of the 54r round is like a Zen master letting you know the rifle isn't properly shouldered through pain.
5. M91/30's teach you how to overcome bad sights, triggers, and recoil. Any quality firearm purchase after the Mosin will be seem like a dream come true.

No, and dear God, no. There hundreds of guns out there in this price range that will do any and everything better than these. If he turns out weird later on, and likes this crap, it will still be there.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:50:51 PM EDT
[#14]
What other guns are semiauto, fast reloading, in a decent cheap caliber that are as cheap as a SKS (under 300)?  

Romanian AKM maybe back a few years ago.  Doubt you can find them for cheap anymore, even used.

As far as Mosins go, what other guns are out there that you can get the rifle and 800+ rounds for well under 300 other than .22s?  Though a 22 would be a great rifle to learn on.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#15]
SKS and clips.  Ammo too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

neither did the guy who thinks you can still get a SKS for $300. AIM sold out of those $229 ones in a heartbeat.

10/22, sling, BX25 mag, 2 bricks of federal ammo. Tech sights if you can swing that much cash
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What other guns are semiauto, fast reloading, in a decent cheap caliber that are as cheap as a SKS (under 300)?  

Romanian AKM maybe back a few years ago.  Doubt you can find them for cheap anymore, even used.

As far as Mosins go, what other guns are out there that you can get the rifle and 800+ rounds for well under 300 other than .22s?  Though a 22 would be a great rifle to learn on.

The terrible rifle of a mosin makes it worth the extra money to save or spend on a quality rifle. Quantity (mosin) VERY rarely beats quality(everythig else).
OP look at a good used marlin 336 or quality AMERICAN bolt gun.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

neither did the guy who thinks you can still get a SKS for $300. AIM sold out of those $229 ones in a heartbeat.

10/22, sling, BX25 mag, 2 bricks of federal ammo. Tech sights if you can swing that much cash

Back on the 26th, Wideners still had SKSs in stock for less than 300.
Samco Global looks to still have some M59/66 Yugos in stock
A 10/22 or malin 795, plus tech sights would be a great training rifle.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The terrible rifle of a mosin makes it worth the extra money to save or spend on a quality rifle. Quantity (mosin) VERY rarely beats quality(everythig else).
OP look at a good used marlin 336 or quality AMERICAN bolt gun.

Im glad I am not the only one who thinks this.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 7:58:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What are some other guns in his price range with as of affordable ammo other than a .22?  Not saying a mosin is a great rifle, but it is cheap to learn basics on and holds its value when he decides to sell it down the road once he has more money for a new rifle and ammo.

Of course we are are speculating since we don't really know what the OP really wants to get out of this rifle.  So maybe he only wants to shoot a few time a year and hunt, where a cheap deer rifle or used lever action would be a great choice.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are some other guns in his price range with as of affordable ammo other than a .22?  Not saying a mosin is a great rifle, but it is cheap to learn basics on and holds its value when he decides to sell it down the road once he has more money for a new rifle and ammo.

Of course we are are speculating since we don't really know what the OP really wants to get out of this rifle.  So maybe he only wants to shoot a few time a year and hunt, where a cheap deer rifle or used lever action would be a great choice.

There arent many. Even with that, I would rather have a cheap, quality commercial bolt gun in a decent caliber that I could shoot a little, than a Mosin. Something like a Stevens 200 in .223 would be perfect.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:36:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Damn good suggestion.  I would also consider a marlin X7

It all comes down to if he wants to shoot a ton or just a fair amount (though he could shoot a bunch of cheap .223 through it)
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:41:35 PM EDT
[#23]
How about a nice bolt action or semi auto .22LR, get one for a little over a hundred and spend the rest on ammo.

That's what I would do.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 4:44:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Ruger 10/22

Then save more money and buy an AR15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top