Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2002 4:25:44 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting a Savage Arms Bolt-action in .308 or .223.  It comes with a Harris bi-pod and a Tasco 10-40x50mm scope.  Its going for about $650... is this a good deal?  Any experience with these rifles?  Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the Savage rifles.  I think that price you are getting quoted is a little high.

This guy a couple for a great price.

I really want to by them both, But I am just a little cash poor with other projects..

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=119740
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I own quite a few Savages in hunting and tactical versions. I have a Savage 110FP Tactical in .223, 25-06, .308 and 300 Win Mag.
And just the plain ole 110 in .243, .270, & .300 Win mag. I have never been disappointed by their performance. Only complaint I have about them is the lousy factory trigger. I've purchased a Timney or Sharpshooter trigger for each of them. I've got other Mfg's & models in the these and several other calibers but, still like the Savage. As a matter of fact new, straight out of the box my 110FP in .300 Win mag. out performed a friend of mine's Rem M700 in .308 competition rifle that he has almost $5000.00 in to make it as accurate as it can be. He was the one shooting it to make the comparison, I'm a good shot but, he is an excellent shot. It made him sick to his stomach when he did better w/the Savage than with his highly modified Rem.

Oops, forgot to mention I paid only $405.00 new for the Savage 110FP Tactical in .300 Win Mag., you might want to check some other dealers.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I purchased a Savage model 10 in .308.  It's the "Tactical" model.  It has a synthetic stock and a Tasco Varmint/Tactical 2.5-10x44 scope.  I think I spent about $500.00 for both including tax.  The rifle is great!  It shoots consistently at about 1 1/2 inches @100yds with just regular hunting ammo.  (I haven't shot any match ammo with it)  With handloads it shoots consistently at around an inch @100yds and I have shot three shot groups that a nickel can cover.  (Not to say that I can do that every time!!)  

The only negative that I have seen is that the stock is rather flexible in the front end.  I attached a Harris bipod but ended up taking it off since the stock was flexing under recoil and hitting the barrel thus opening up the groups.  It needs to be bedded or maybe I will just replace the stock all together.  

I'm not sure where the criticism of the trigger is based on.  The rifle that I have has a fully adjustible trigger.  I polished the sear surfaces and adjusted it until it was very light.  Maybe not all Savages are able to be adjusted as light as mine is.  I'm not sure but I do know that the trigger on my rifle is fantastic.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 7:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is on of my Savage Tacticals in 308 with a McMillian stock, Leupold 6.5 x 20 x 50 long range.

I had Weapon Works take care of the trigger.

It is a nice rifle.

Link Posted: 5/30/2002 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#5]
They are the best buy IMO.  I almost wish I hadn't spent the money getting my remington to shoot, I should have just bought a Savage instead. My sav 223 shoots as good as my rem with the douglas barrel and fajen stock. And yes that mildly pisses me off.
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Savage 10FP .308 20" barrel & it's juat as accurate as my dad's Remington LTR.

Not quite as polished but a lot less $$
Link Posted: 5/30/2002 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#7]
im not big on charts, numbers and graphs. but my buddy got a 300$ savage striker .223, hopped outa my truck, went prone, and took the head of a crow at 200 yds. for a 300 $ gun and a cheap scope, i think that speaks far better than MOA jibberish (yes, i do understand MOA, and all that ballistic crap)
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 5:24:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Friend bought a used 308 Tactical.  With his reloads he can consistently get one half MOA.  Occasionally better.  I think he has about $450 wrapped up in the entire rig.  

Guns will definitely shoot.

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 9:59:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Best "BANG" for the buck.........especially when you can get them for 299 from wally-mart......
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm thinking about getting a Savage Arms Bolt-action in .308 or .223.  It comes with a Harris bi-pod and a Tasco 10-40x50mm scope.  Its going for about $650... is this a good deal?  Any experience with these rifles?  Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance

You will be hard pressed to find a better value in any firearm.

These are groups that have been shot with my Savage 12BVSS topped with a Sightron 10X40X42 scope.

I have used this same rifle to shoot 100-10X at 300 yards on a 600 yard reduced target. Measured groups at that distance are typically in the 1.5-2" range.

I shoot 40 through 80 grainers through the 9 twist barrel with no noticable accuracy decrease regardless of bullet weight. I did have to invest a bit more time than usual to get loads for the 80 grainers but when pushed fast enough they shot as well as any other bullet I have used. The groups pictured show 80 grainers used with BLC-2 and RE-15.

BlackHills ammo shot very well through this rifle and American Eagle 50gr HPFB was sub MOA for those who don't care to reload.

You don't mention the model of the rifle that you are asking about, if it a 12BVSS that is not a bad price, a tad high but not bad. If it is the 10FP model then I would pass on the deal.

www.snipershide.com/

Snipers hide has a project going on with Savage rifles where they have been able to achieve some amazing results. Look in the forums under Project Ghost Dancer.

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Speaking of Savage rifles in Wally World, I was in a WalMart over the weekend and saw one with a stainless barrel that was in a Choate Varminter stock.  I don't remember what the price was, but I do remember that it was very low, about what I'd expect for a new Savage in the normal flimsy stock.

For the record, I REALLY like my 110FP in .308
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#12]
OK guys...this is the entire deal...is it still overpriced?  

Savage model 10FP with 24" heavy bbl. and synthetic stock. with Harris 6-9" Adj. bipod, Tasco 6-24x42mm or 2.5-10x42 Tactical Varminter rifle scope with Mil Dot Reticle, adj. Obj. and target knobs, Leupold Quick release rings and weaver bases mounted correctly with thread lock. Scope is Bore sighted and ready to go.

What do ya think?

and again...thanks for all the great advice...

Link Posted: 5/31/2002 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
OK guys...this is the entire deal...is it still overpriced?  

Savage model 10FP with 24" heavy bbl. and synthetic stock. with Harris 6-9" Adj. bipod, Tasco 6-24x42mm or 2.5-10x42 Tactical Varminter rifle scope with Mil Dot Reticle, adj. Obj. and target knobs, Leupold Quick release rings and weaver bases mounted correctly with thread lock. Scope is Bore sighted and ready to go.

What do ya think?

Well here in Houston I can buy that bare rifle all day long for $389-399+TT&L  so...

What is the value of the bipod,scope,rings etc.

Is this a new rifle or used??
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:38:17 PM EDT
[#14]
cnatra...the rifle is new
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 2:49:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I got my 10FP with a 20" barrel, Ultimate Varminter stock, and bipod for $450 at a local pawn shop so I would say the price you are refering to is a little high.

Kyle
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#16]
FirearmTom1,

Please tell me how and where you got your Savage into a McMillan stock. I've been trying to get info on McMillan or HS Precision stocks for some time now. I keep hearing they're not ready yet or something to that effect.

BTW, my Savage 10FP .308 has done .375" 3 shot groups several times and .500" 5 shots consistently at 100 yds.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Wiggins...the rifle I'm thinking about is new, has a 24" heavy barrel, is .308 and comes with optics...still overpriced?
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Wiggins...the rifle I'm thinking about is new, has a 24" heavy barrel, is .308 and comes with optics...still overpriced?

Tasco from what I have heard has ceased to exist and quality has been a crapshoot from my experiences. What will you do if the scope takes a shit or is bad out of the box?

If it came with better optics I would say the deal is fine.

If it were me I would pass or ask for different optics.
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks in advance

You will be hard pressed to find a better value in any firearm.

These are groups that have been shot with my Savage 12BVSS topped with a Sightron 10X40X42 scope.

I have used this same rifle to shoot 100-10X at 300 yards on a 600 yard reduced target. Measured groups at that distance are typically in the 1.5-2" range.

I shoot 40 through 80 grainers through the 9 twist barrel with no noticable accuracy decrease regardless of bullet weight. I did have to invest a bit more time than usual to get loads for the 80 grainers but when pushed fast enough they shot as well as any other bullet I have used. The groups pictured show 80 grainers used with BLC-2 and RE-15.

BlackHills ammo shot very well through this rifle and American Eagle 50gr HPFB was sub MOA for those who don't care to reload.

You don't mention the model of the rifle that you are asking about, if it a 12BVSS that is not a bad price, a tad high but not bad. If it is the 10FP model then I would pass on the deal.

www.snipershide.com/

Snipers hide has a project going on with Savage rifles where they have been able to achieve some amazing results. Look in the forums under Project Ghost Dancer.

I gotta agree with you. Savage is a great value for the money!
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I would say yes. The rifle can be had new for $369, or appearantly $299 at Walmart. The Tasco Tactical/Varminter scope costs $70, the bipod can be found for under $50, Weaver bases are another $7 ($15 max), and the Leopuld QR rings another $40. The grand total is between $466 and $544, so I think there are better deals out there.

At $650 you still have to either replace the stock, or work on it a lot to make it usable with a bipod.

If I were you I would find one at a better price and put the savings into either better glass or a better stock (or better yet do both).

Kyle
Link Posted: 5/31/2002 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got a Model 12FV in .223, and a Model 12BVSS in 22-250.  The .22-250 did several 1/2" groups the first day at the range with FACTORY ammo.  I've gotten some 1/3" groups with hand loads, which I'm still playing with.  I put a Weaver Grand Slam 6x20x40 scope on top, and it is a joy to shoot.  

The .223 doesn't seem to be quite as accurate, but I haven't shot it that much (had to send it back to Savage to put the trigger back together after an unfortunate attempt to intall the Sharp Shooter trigger hehehe). I'm headed out to shoot it tomorrow, at a 100 yard range. I've just gotten the SS trigger installed, so that might make a difference too.

You *can* make some small adjustments to the factory trigger, but it's kinda luck of the draw as to the final results.  It made a big difference to the .22-250, but didn't do much at all to the .223, which is why I put the SS trigger in that one.  

Depending on what you want to do with the rifle, I'd suggest the 12BVSS.  It's a little better balanced, as the ones with the synthetic stocks tend to be a little front end heavy, and that will be even worse if you put a bipod on it.  

BTW, the .223 was $379 at Galyans, and the the .22-250 was $499 there.  Also, FWIW, I've destroyed a couple of Tasco scopes on one of my FALs, so I don't know if I'd keep that on there if you get it in .308.  

For the money, I don't know how you can do better than the Savage bolt guns, even considering the nasty triggers, which is nothing that you can't cure at Brownell's for $77 plus shipping.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2002 12:48:02 AM EDT
[#22]
My friend HAD an FP-10 Tactile. Crap trigger figure in another 125 bucks for a good one. Then you'll have to get a new stock after you'll see that it's a Flexi-Flier.Then wait for the big KABOOM when your bolt explodes from a primer failure in a factory Remington 150 gr. 308 load. Save yourself the pain & agony. Get a Remington 700 PSS in your choice of caliber- it"ll out shoot the Savage all day long. They can be had for around $650 in the Phoenix area. You'll have that tied up in the Savage when you are done fixing it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 2:52:04 AM EDT
[#23]
I love mine; their barrel riffling is better for sub sonic loads also. John

pub28.bravenet.com/photocenter/view.php?img=22220&usernum=2362560491

Link Posted: 6/1/2002 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Wiggins......the 299 specials were`nt 10 fp`s....BUT....rem adl with beautiful wood for 330..that I bought last year.....a 7400 synthetic 270 for319......savage synthetics for299 and 319....adl synthetics for 309.......these are "closeouts"....you need to find a decent salesperson and ask for them............
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:14:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I paid $599 for my Remy 700VS.  So for about $50 more than that savage you could have the remy, scope, and mounts.  A much better trigger, and you get the HS Precision Stock.
Link Posted: 6/1/2002 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
My friend HAD an FP-10 Tactile. Crap trigger figure in another 125 bucks for a good one. Then you'll have to get a new stock after you'll see that it's a Flexi-Flier.Then wait for the big KABOOM when your bolt explodes from a primer failure in a factory Remington 150 gr. 308 load. Save yourself the pain & agony. Get a Remington 700 PSS in your choice of caliber- it"ll out shoot the Savage all day long. They can be had for around $650 in the Phoenix area. You'll have that tied up in the Savage when you are done fixing it.

A SharpShooter trigger can be had for$89+tax & is a drop in item.  
The stock is definitely wimpy when compared to the H.S. precision stock & you have a valid point on pricing with the PSS or LTR.
 My dad's LTR was $699+tax & my 10FP was $389+tax & add $100 for the trigger.
 I filled the front of the stock with epoxy to stiffen it up.  I figure I saved $200 to put towards a scope.

I've never heard of a bolt failing in a Savage.

Link Posted: 6/3/2002 10:17:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Perhaps I should clarify the bolt thing Cinatra. The bolt didn't TOTALLY self-destruct, the ejector pin was driven back into the bolt jamming it into the spring. The extractor was blown in half, part of it impaling my friends head, part of it jamming the bolt closed until it got to the factory repair shop. Boy, did those guys flip out! "Wow, we never seen one blow up this bad." It took them nearly 2 weeks to fix it and they had all the parts in stock.They almost gave up and were getting ready to give my friend a new rifle. But a torch and a BIG HAMMER finally got it apart. My friend says "never again".
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Get a Remington 700 PSS in your choice of caliber- it"ll out shoot the Savage all day long.

Someone should have told me this before Sunday. I would have just passed on shooting the 200 yard varmint match and saved myself the trouble of beating the 3 Remingtons ,among other rifles, on the line.

Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Pssst....Ruger M77
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#30]
My only experience with Savage was a piece of JUNK. Again this was only one rifle. My mother owns an older wooden stocked Savage and has taken quite a few deer with it.

I personally prefer Ruger M77's. Can't go wrong with a Mauser type action.

I've had 'em in .243, .280, .30-06, and .300 win. mag.

All of which would take the eyes out of deer with good handloads.

You fellows can keep your remingtons.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#31]
The Savage 110s and 112s are fine bolt-action rifles.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#32]
Sniper1az has a very valid point when it comes to the stock.  Although it is a true free-float, the rifle moves around in the stock alot when it is fired.  I have to take issue with him regarding the trigger however.  The factory trigger IS crappy, it breaks pretty clean but it is way too heavy.  However, the trigger design is a set-screw design, if you pull the rifle out of the stock you can greatly improve the trigger by adjusting/locktite-ing the set screws and LIGHTLY polishing the action.  If you remove very much metal at all you will go right through the case hardening and screw it up, and then you will HAVE to buy a drop in trigger.  But I've managed to avoid doing so while still enjoying a good trigger, for about an hour's worth of effort.

Oh yeah, here is my buddy OZ with my 10FP, which I have put into the Choate "John Plaster" stock.  Great stock, very rigid and fully adjustable, but it is very heavy (range queens only) and the only other thing I don't like about it is that is says something stupid on the side like "The Ultimate Super Duper Sniper Stock of Death", which makes you look like a poser at the range.

Shoots incredible groups though, the accuracy of these rifles is not a matter of contention.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top