Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2009 3:14:06 PM EDT
I've got an option to buy a Winchester M1 Garand locally.  It's a Danish return, has a 57 VAR barrel, SA bolt, and it looks like an original stock.  Has a circle P on it and the serial number is stamped into the bottom of the stock.  The finish is a little warn, I'd say 80-85%.  SA trigger pack.  I'd say it's probably rated at a CMP Service Grade.  This would be my second Garand.  If/once I buy it I'd swap the trigger pack as my Jan 44 production Springer at home has a Winchester trigger pack.... just because.....
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the CMP sold their last batch of Winchester service grade M1s for 800 a piece iirc
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#2]
If it were an all original Winchester it would be worth a few thousand$$$$  I  have seen  them go for as much a $6000.00  
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#3]
He's asking $925 for it.  I know the CMP had them for $800, but they don't anymore.  Good or bad deal?
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
He's asking $925 for it.  I know the CMP had them for $800, but they don't anymore.  Good or bad deal?

Well your paying an extra 300 dollars just for the Winchester name stamped on the receiver. Not a bad deal for a private sale, you can't be sure if the CMP has more or if they will charge more for the next batch if they do. I would love to have a Winchester Garand but I can't justify spending the extra money for a Winchester when I could get a Springfield/HRA Garand that is just as good of quality for much cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#5]
If that VAR barrel gauges about new, say 1.5 or better, then it is not too bad a deal. If it turns out that the stock is Winchester then it is a good deal. Check for stamps on the left side in front of the pistol grip. The Danes often serialized the stocks to the gun. If it is a Dane replacement stock then there is likely a piece of paper glued to the barrel channel that often had windage and elevation setups for the rifle.

My first Garand was a Danish return Service Grade that showed up with a near new VAR barrel, six-digit serial, and lockbar sights. I still have that one and it is my avatar pic.
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#6]
If it were a true Winchester Garand stock with cartouches, the stock alone is worth $1500 to $2000
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I went ahead and got it!  Talked the guy down to $875 and he threw in 40 rounds of Greek on clips that he had left.  I'll snap some pics and get them up tonight or tomorrow.

It's an April of '43 production.  Rear site is BME, trigger pack is Springfield as is the Bolt.  Barrel is a VAR '57 and gauges at less than 1 for ME and TE.  I will probably see about swapping my trigger packs as I said before.  Heck, it's not even home yet.  Still out in my truck.  Picked it up on my lunch break.....
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:40:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If it were a true Winchester Garand stock with cartouches, the stock alone is worth $1500 to $2000

Whaaaaat??????? Not sure where you buy Garand parts but you need to go somewhere else
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top