Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2006 4:34:53 PM EDT
Anyone from SC here that owns NFA weapons ? I am currently waiting to hear if I got a job in the Rock Hill area and am planning on moving there in the next 6 or so weeks if all goes well. I had my heart set on Knoxville TN but after 4 weeks of not hearing anything I am guessing someone else got the job. I know my company is slow but that would be super slow...

I have had conflicting reports from both SC Statutes, the NRA-ILA web site and other web sites. The SC statutes I saw stated now private ownership, the NRA site was basicly a copy of the state laws but then some people state it's OK and I heard about somthing that was revised in 2001 in the laws that may explain the confusion. The NFA FAQ also states that everything is good to go in SC. I like to go by the statutes but so many conflicts and that little thing about a revision gives me a glimmer of hope.

So what's the bottom line for MG, SBR's and supressors ? If the law allows it do the local CLEO's give you a hard time like here in FL ? If so can people use a revocable trust to purchase the weapons as we do here in FL ?

Also any state laws about shooting on your own property ? I got my eye on 20+ acres in York county and would love to dump a few truck loads of dirt out in the back and be able to shoot with my son. TN has a law nothing within 100 yards of another persons residence and if you are in city limits you are bound by city ordnances, and in FL it depends from county to county.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:41:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The info that I found states that in 2001 South Carolina law was changed to permit all federally registered items.

You might ask around in the Carolinas Forum for more specific details.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:28:28 PM EDT
[#2]
That is what I saw but all I saw was a change was made, then the statutes I got from the NRA web site stated NO, not sure what changes were made.

I posted on the Carolina Forum and got one reply that yes it was OK since they have seen them at gun shows, not exactly what I would call fact.

Same thing goes for New Jersey of all places, if you look! Got news for you, a state that does not allow ownership of a AR or M1A is sure as heck not going to allow a M76, Uzi, or H&K for that matter.  All of these listings that show what states will accept and which ones will not I take with a grain of salt. I live in Florida which is listed as NFA friendly but 50% or more of the CLEO's will not sign off, if you want one you need to do a LLC or a trust then good luck finding a place which will ley you shoot it!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#3]
While living in myrtle beach, sc I owned MG, SBR, and Suppressors, yes it's legal 100%
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top