Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 6:44:07 PM EDT
I found a Japanese Arisaka in a pawn shop. It looks to be in very good condition, with a bright bore and good rifling. Everything looks like it belongs- sights, etc. The barrel is 25" long and the Japanese characters on the receiver are across rather than vertical.
Type 99 short rifle?

It was $89.95. Does that sound good?
Jim
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Do the numbers match? have the aircraft sights ( lil wings that flip out to the sides of the site ladder) cleanning rod and all?  Most importantly does it have the mum?   90 bucks sounds good if it does.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:33:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a Type 99 short rifle.  The easiest way to remember a type 99 from the 38 is that two of the characters below the mum will be the same.

Even if the mum is ground, no numbers match and it's missing parts like the AA wings, $90 is a great price for a Type 99 which probably goes for around $150 in the described condition.

If it has an intact mum and the numbers match, it's worth closer to $250.  I believe an all matching Type 99 will have the last three digits of the serial number stamped on: the bayonet lug, bolt handle, firing pin and safety.

I would think as long as it hasn't been sporterized you can't go wrong for $90.

LL
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:59:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Also check out the bolt handle and the buttplate. If the bolt handle is an oval, and not a small cylinder looking thing, that's a good sign. Also, is the buttplate steel or wood? Cylinder and wood are both signs of a late war or "last ditch" production, and aren't anywhere near as good as the early ones, and a lot can be dangerous to shoot. I agree with what's been said already, just wanted to give two more points to look at.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#4]
That is a GREAT PRICE!  BUY IT NOW!

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:19:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#6]
It does have the wings on the rear sight. I didn't know what they were for.
The bolt handle is a long oval shape.
It has what is describes as a knurles safety knob.
I don't remember what the buttplate is.
It has the mum ground off.
I am not sure if it is all matching, but the parts I looked at seemed to be.
The stock seemed to be in good condition, and the bluing is better than I expected.
I don't remember if it had a cleaning rod.
I don't remember if the characters below where the mum was were the same or not. The pics I looked at on the different models showed the type 38 to have the characters vertically stamped and the type 99 horizontally stamped. Is this always the case?
It is on layaway. They had an M48BO with a dark, frosted bore for $459.00. I think I'll pass on that, but when I saw this. I got so excited at the price I forgot to look for details.
I will post pics when I get it out.
Jim
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#7]
you got a good deal.  Even if non-matching, that's good.

Arisakas a lot of the time go for cheap in gun stores simply because finding ammo for them is a tough challenge, and when you do it's about $1 a round.  Mine only get one range trip a year.  And yet they're my favorite milsurp.

they're not in high demand by shooters, only collectors.

I'm working on a site dedicated to the Arisaka, once you take pics, I'll save them and post them in my gallery I'm making.  Tell me your name so I can accredit the rifle to you.

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
you got a good deal.  Even if non-matching, that's good.

Arisakas a lot of the time go for cheap in gun stores simply because finding ammo for them is a tough challenge, and when you do it's about $1 a round.  Mine only get one range trip a year.  And yet they're my favorite milsurp.

they're not in high demand by shooters, only collectors.

I'm working on a site dedicated to the Arisaka, once you take pics, I'll save them and post them in my gallery I'm making.  Tell me your name so I can accredit the rifle to you.

thanks.

-mark

I didn't think about ammo. I like to shoot what I collect. That might be a problem. I hate safe queens.
Jim
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep, forgot about the ammo part.  7.7 Jap can be a bitch to find.  I think Hornady is currently producing it and it can be had for about $20-25 a box of 20.  Norma is also available but cost more.

LL
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Do you reload? Grafs has 7.7 brass  www.grafs.com   Or make them out of resized 30.06 brass, though it is really time consuming, and you have to buy the reforming die in addition to the 7.7 dies.

surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/srtype99/index.asp  has a good link about making 7.7 brass from 30.06 as well

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:10:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Man, this bites.
From my brief description, and I know I need more and pics to be sure, but does this sound like a typical rifle for a just decent price? Should I buy it anyway, or will I kick myself if I let it go?
Jim
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:08:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Depends if you want a high volume shooter or a WW2 collectable.  I wanted the MBR of each of the WW2 major players, so a T99 was on my list.  I paid 200 for one w/ the mum completely ground off, non matching numbers because it wasn't import marked, had a chrome lined barrel, AA sights, and for me this was a good deal.  I also reload, and and have started to shoot NRA highpower matches with cast bullets.  I only need 60 rounds at a time, so loading 7.7 for the matches isn't a big deal.  If you want a high volume shooter, unless you have either lots of $ or time, a T99 might not be for you. Might be better with a milsurp with cheap ammo, for example an 8mm Mauser.  

The T99's have one of the strongest bolt actions ever, and if it was in decent shape I'd jump at one for $89.

my 2 cents
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Depends if you want a high volume shooter or a WW2 collectable.  I wanted the MBR of each of the WW2 major players, so a T99 was on my list.  I paid 200 for one w/ the mum completely ground off, non matching numbers because it wasn't import marked, had a chrome lined barrel, AA sights, and for me this was a good deal.  I also reload, and and have started to shoot NRA highpower matches with cast bullets.  I only need 60 rounds at a time, so loading 7.7 for the matches isn't a big deal.  If you want a high volume shooter, unless you have either lots of $ or time, a T99 might not be for you. Might be better with a milsurp with cheap ammo, for example an 8mm Mauser.  

The T99's have one of the strongest bolt actions ever, and if it was in decent shape I'd jump at one for $89.

my 2 cents

I do handload, now I'll need another set of dies I guess.
I don't usually shoot a high volume with one rifle. I have a Yugo 98k, a Turk M38 that is really sporter fodder, my babies- A Swede M38 and a Swiss K31, a Yugo 59/66 that is made for high volume shooting, my Colt HBAR that is too, pistols, a Ruger 10/22 and a Mossberg 835.  don't have time to shoot a lot out of just 1, but I do get to let the barrel cool on each when I take more than one out.

So, do you consider $89.95 for one in good shape reason enough to jump on it, even if it doesn't get shot much?
Jim
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:56:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't usually shoot a high volume with one rifle. I have a Yugo 98k, a Turk M38 that is really sporter fodder, my babies- A Swede M38 and a Swiss K31, a Yugo 59/66 that is made for high volume shooting, my Colt HBAR that is too, pistols, a Ruger 10/22 and a Mossberg 835.  don't have time to shoot a lot out of just 1, but I do get to let the barrel cool on each when I take more than one out.

So, do you consider $89.95 for one in good shape reason enough to jump on it, even if it doesn't get shot much?
Jim

IF it is in shootable shape, and safe, and you've ever wanted a WW2 Arisaka, I'd jump on it.  (I'd be hard pressed to turn a nice $89 T99 if I found one, as my personal belief is that the T99's will be the next rifle that goes up in $$.  No real basis for this belief however). What part of TX are you in?  I have a buddy who has bought a few T99s from the Houston gun shows, but I think the cheapest he has gotten is $130, so you may be looking good at $89.

All about your own cost/benefit analysis - My K31 dies cost 1/2 of my K31, and 7.7 dies would cost bout the same if you get a 3 die set!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim

IF it is in shootable shape, and safe, and you've ever wanted a WW2 Arisaka, I'd jump on it.  (I'd be hard pressed to turn a nice $89 T99 if I found one, as my personal belief is that the T99's will be the next rifle that goes up in $$.  No real basis for this belief however). What part of TX are you in?  I have a buddy who has bought a few T99s from the Houston gun shows, but I think the cheapest he has gotten is $130, so you may be looking good at $89.

All about your own cost/benefit analysis - My K31 dies cost 1/2 of my K31, and 7.7 dies would cost bout the same if you get a 3 die set!!

It looked to be in shootable condition, but I have never looked an Aridaka over before. The bore was nice and shiny with clear rifling and clean.

I am in the DFW area, and for that price I will go ahead and get it and deal with the ammo issue.
I only hesitated since I would rather spend money on something I can play with but that is a good price.

When I pick it up I will take and post pics. I will probably have a lot more questions too. There are probably questions I don't know to ask, so prompting will be helpful- tell me what to look for.
Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#16]
The few times I shoot them, I do shoot Hornady.  About $20 a box.  www.sportsmansguide.com has them.

other than that I keep them for the collecting factor.  I think they're amazing rifles, and good to show off to friends, especially if you have the long bayonet that goes with them.

I would not pass up $89 on an arisaka of any grade.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:13:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The few times I shoot them, I do shoot Hornady.  About $20 a box.  www.sportsmansguide.com has them.

other than that I keep them for the collecting factor.  I think they're amazing rifles, and good to show off to friends, especially if you have the long bayonet that goes with them.

I would not pass up $89 on an arisaka of any grade.

$20.00 per box isn't too bad for Hornady ammo. I wouldn't want to spend that on S&B or Wolf thouh.
How is accuracy, generally, with these rifles?
Jim
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#19]
If I am not mistaken the 7.7 type 99 has a chrome lined bore and will usually be in great shape.  They are great to shoot and very accurate.  You can't  go wrong with the price.
Top Top