Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2017 11:45:01 AM EDT
Been using 70gr Speer soft points, but they don't seem to be expanding any.  Does anyone make a softer skinned jacketed bullet that might expand?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for that.. I may try casting some lead ones as I do cast for 45ACP so would only need a new mold assuming wheel weights would work..  but would have to do a lot of research.  Not sure about gas checks at that speed, and DO NOT want any lead fouling in my AR.

Also found this company that makes solid copper .224 bullets they say expand at subsonic speed.. Maker bullets, choices are 55gr and 77gr.. would prefer the 77gr, but my AR is 1/8 twist and they recommend 1/7 for that bullet, also may be an issue loading to mag length with copper bullets (not sure on that).
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:03:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Been using 70gr Speer soft points, but they don't seem to be expanding any.  Does anyone make a softer skinned jacketed bullet that might expand?
View Quote

Might try the Hornady SX bullets............ they are extremely thin skinned.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't have experience with what you are trying to do but have an idea

I ran into a rep at a LGS open house for Fort Scott munitions

They make solid brass and solid copper projectials and loaded ammo.  While talking to the guy I learned their ammo does not so much expand but tumble on impact, causing a huge cavity in the target.

I had to call direct to work out a way to buy just the projectiles (at the time, not listed on the site for sale), but I was able to get some.

Here is their site if you want to learn more.
https://www.velocitytactics.com/

No affiliation with anyone mentioned, just a customer.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:21:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Depending on what you want dead, you might consider casting and waterdropping one of the hollowpoint designs available out there. They won't expand of course, but you could probably get them to fragment nicely.

You could also cast a soft gaschecked hollowpoint if you really need the expansion.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered some of the Maker Ammo all copper bullets, they are supposed to pedal out at subsonic speeds.. see what happens.

Plan is to use them on pest control like rabbits, coons, etc. If the Maker bullets don't perform well enough then I may try the cast bullet route.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 4:18:29 AM EDT
[#7]
That may be your best option. (The copper bullets)

I'm just starting to cast 22 caliber (I saw your post above) I think wheel weights may be a little too hard for good expansion at sub-sonic velocity.

I'm currently using 12bhn alloy and powder coating. I use this same hardness and powder coating for all my sub-sonic loads and some super sonic pistol loads. I haven't found the need to gas check any of them. Before powder coating I was having issues with lead spray in the muzzle brake of my 500 S&W (gas cutting base as bullets leave the barrel) but the PC stopped this.

I'd be willing to bet that a cast bullet that was around 10 BHN and powder coated would do what you want. You may even get away with softer alloy than 10 BHN.

I'm not sure what moulds are available but a heavy flat tip would be best. I may do a little experimenting with the Lee 55gr maybe cast some soft and flat point them.

Motor
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:31:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Maker Bullets makes subsonic 55gr and 75gr copper bullets that expand at subsonic velocity.

Based on this test of a 55gr Subsonic 5.7x28, they work great - 1,009 fps, 12"+ expansion, .765" expansion!

Gel Test
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Motor1: Thanks for the info. I forgot about the lead spray at the muzzle, also def don't want my can getting gunked up (only have 1 unfortunately). So far I cast for 45ACP and 380ACP and use the 45/45/10 lube, haven't tried powder coating yet.  I have a decent supply of pure lead and ww, but no way of testing hardness. I was thinking a good flat base mould too, and look in to how to hollow point it a little (or just score the top).

Thanks Spydercomonkey for the video... I hadn't seen that one yet, but did see one someone else put out on the Maker bullet (for 300BO though).  Don't think they are made by the same company, but same concept.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That may be your best option. (The copper bullets)

I'm just starting to cast 22 caliber (I saw your post above) I think wheel weights may be a little too hard for good expansion at sub-sonic velocity.

I'm currently using 12bhn alloy and powder coating. I use this same hardness and powder coating for all my sub-sonic loads and some super sonic pistol loads. I haven't found the need to gas check any of them. Before powder coating I was having issues with lead spray in the muzzle brake of my 500 S&W (gas cutting base as bullets leave the barrel) but the PC stopped this.

I'd be willing to bet that a cast bullet that was around 10 BHN and powder coated would do what you want. You may even get away with softer alloy than 10 BHN.

I'm not sure what moulds are available but a heavy flat tip would be best. I may do a little experimenting with the Lee 55gr maybe cast some soft and flat point them.

Motor
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 1:08:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Motor1: Thanks for the info. I forgot about the lead spray at the muzzle, also def don't want my can getting gunked up (only have 1 unfortunately). So far I cast for 45ACP and 380ACP and use the 45/45/10 lube, haven't tried powder coating yet.  I have a decent supply of pure lead and ww, but no way of testing hardness. I was thinking a good flat base mould too, and look in to how to hollow point it a little (or just score the top).

Thanks Spydercomonkey for the video... I hadn't seen that one yet, but did see one someone else put out on the Maker bullet (for 300BO though).  Don't think they are made by the same company, but same concept.
View Quote

The 5.7 test is with the Maker Bullet, just loaded by a boutique ammo maker who designs high end 5.7x28 ammo. You should be g2g using them, and the price ($32 per 50) is not that outrageous for a CNC made specialty bullet - especially a .224 that expands like a 9mm HST at subsonic speeds.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:32:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had very good look with swaged bullets make out of 22lr that expand at sub speeds only thing is making them.  They don't mushroom they explode very similar to a vmax pattern when shot into gel.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:16:25 AM EDT
[#12]
spydercomonkey - yeah, I did a quick look and didn't see that Maker made those, good info.  Order came to $40/50 so even $.80/pop isn't bad for the amount I'll be using as long as they work.

stumpy2cool - Just looked up swaging 22lr shells.. wow, what a process!
Top Top