Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2002 7:18:21 PM EDT
Please let me know if linkys no workies.  I'm posting an identical post on AR15.com and on assaultweb.net.

Traded an old Remington 1100 shotgun and $400 for this AR15 in .45acp.  Postban Bushy lower with Olyarms upper.  Uses 15-round modified Uzi mags, unfortunately I only have two because they are damn hard to find.

Here is the pic that was sent to me before the deal, actually there were other pics but this was the best one.

The telestock was pinned and epoxied in place to keep it legal.  There were no heat shields in the handguards, and all the furniture in general was, shall we say, less than new.  Children's placemats were not included with the deal.

Initial firing of the gun was a frustrating affair.  Both magazines failed to feed often, putting a .45acp round nose-high into the top of the receiver.  Out came the pliers--with a little "massaging" of the feed lips, the casing was easily positioned level with the line of the barrel and generally higher in relation to the bolt.  After a couple of boxes worth of experimentation, the gun functioned fine but still looked ratty.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#1]
But fear not, my AR15 brethren!  For I live close to Jeff and John Overstreet of CMMG fame!  Time to make like a MasterCard commercial:

Leapers "gooseneck" scope mount from cheaperthandirt.com: $35

M4 handguards/new pistol grip/forward pistol grip and rail/M16A1 stock from CMMG: a bit less than $100

Used Tasco "Pro-Point Plus 5" 45mm red-dot with adjustable dot size and adjustable dot intensity: 3 used USGI 5.56 magazines and $25 to my buddy Sam.

Bushmaster "Ready-Mag" double magazine tactical reload doohicky of death: the back of my closet (had it sitting there for awhile, guess I had to buy an AR15 to attach it to huh?).  Worth about $50.

An M4-gery with a bit of a twist:  PRICELESS

www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p251edf5d3eff825efead3f660bca7c 51/fd856681.jpg.orig.jpg

So, I figure even accounting for the value of the traded Remington shotgun, I still have less than $950 in this thing, even with all the stuff I've hung off it.  Shoots pretty good groups for a .45acp, I'd put it up there against a HK USC carbine or an Auto-Ordnance Thompson for accuracy.

Oh, and as far as reliability, CMMG took a couple of vids of me today playing on the back 40, as it were:
www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p6166f9c4c889e116a6c4e654eabe6b5f/fd8565   7c.mpg
www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p300ab9365b551b2d8b7a09c12d437bc5/fd8564   b7.mpg

That was everyone's favorite .45acp load, steel cased Wolf 230gr. FMJ.  My extractor said "ow!" but the gun is certainly reliable now.  Die you terrorist log, die!

Later on, CMMG put an Eagle Industries Tac sling on it.  Next comes a brass catcher (I reload .45acp for this thing and hate policing my brass in tall grass) and a tactical type charging handle latch (no bolt hold-open feature on the blowback system with the Uzi mags and all, so if I'm going to be Billy Badass with the reloads I'll need to be able to charge the weapon with my left hand).

A Silk Purse, my brethren, a Silk Purse indeed!
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Was that picture taken in a school?  Look at the table.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Guy I bought it from has a couple of kids.  I tried to negotiate for the placemats but couldn't afford them, as they left the manufacturer as a complete set before the 1994 ban...
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Guy I bought it from has a couple of kids.  I tried to negotiate for the placemats but couldn't afford them, as they left the manufacturer as a complete set before the 1994 ban...

I bet those bad boys fetch high dollar.  If you dont mind me asking what was he asking for the set?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:34:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't say how much, except that placemats made after 1994 with letters AND numbers on them are all marked "For Law Enforcement Use Only"....
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 10:11:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 12:20:28 AM EDT
[#9]
I believe there was a recent thread on whether pinning and epoxying a collapsible telestock in the half-way position was  legal.  The concensus was that this does not fly with the ATF.  Your original stock looked like it was pinned in the short position which is a definite no-no.  A fake telestock has an A2 length tube because the ATF required that it be this way.  Your original stock did not.  It was good that you changed it to a fixed stock.
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:31:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Very cool, Branson. I hope you are bringing it to BRC'03
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I believe there was a recent thread on whether pinning and epoxying a collapsible telestock in the half-way position was  legal.  The concensus was that this does not fly with the ATF.  Your original stock looked like it was pinned in the short position which is a definite no-no.  A fake telestock has an A2 length tube because the ATF required that it be this way.  Your original stock did not.  It was good that you changed it to a fixed stock.

It was epoxied in the fully closed position.  Boy was it epoxied good, it didn't even wiggle, he must have just filled it with epoxy.

I was under the impression that as long as the stock does not move it cannot be called a "collapsible or folding stock"... leave it to BATF to call something that is totally fixed in place "collapsible or folding"...  

And the gun still met minimum overall length requirements because of the 16 inch barrel and that phallic Olyarms muzzlebrake (which cannot be removed, I've tried, that brake is the ugliest brake EVER).

Now if I can just find out whether my goatee is in compliance or not--see I left the womb as a complete person well before 1994, so I'm hoping that any additions such as goatees or chest hair are grandfathered in, but I haven't been able to get a ruling. Every time I call I get a different answer!  Oh well, hopefully the "assault persons" ban will sunset...

Anyway, I changed to the A1 stock because the thing was just too short as it was, I couldn't shoulder the gun AND get an iron sight picture.  Also, I hate the look of dried glue on a $900+ weapon.  The A1 stock is just the right length to use the red dot sight and keep both eyes open.  I've got it set up how I like it--in those vids, believe it or not I never lost sight of the dot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top