Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/25/2010 1:41:51 PM EDT
I have some mil brass Im trying to deprime. I have a Lee universal deprimer thats suppose to be.......unbreakable.
Well I set it up like a normal die, and on the first pull I break the pin.
Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing a step or something, I dont think the pin should have broke that like.

Any advice is appreciated!
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Shine a light down into the case.  You should see a single centered hole for the primer.  If you see two holes, you have Berdan primed brass which isn't reloadable with normal reloading equipment.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Shine a light down into the case.  You should see a single centered hole for the primer.  If you see two holes, you have Berdan primed brass which isn't reloadable with normal reloading equipment.

Its lake city. So boxer primed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 3:56:15 PM EDT
[#3]
should just set up like a normal sizing die and have at it. maybe the decapping pin got bent somehow and was hitting the casehead instead of the flash hole?
I have done lots of 5.56 and .30-06 mill brass without issue.
if you have the spare pin in now, try running it down on a one without a primer in it and make sure it is centering correctly. should see the pin pop out the bottom of the flash hole without and hangups.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't reload 556, but I do 30-06. I mostly use Korean surplus that does have the mil crimp. I tried using the decapping pin that Lee has in their full-length resizing die, but it kept slipping out the top.

I now use: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=636747 for my brass that needs to be de-primed. A lot faster, one or two hits with a hammer and GTG.

For 556: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=297408

Cheap, fast, and works great.

Craig
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I use both lee FL sizing dies and universal decapping dies to deprime my 5.56 mil brass.  I have never had a problem.

Something else was wrong there.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I use both lee FL sizing dies and universal decapping dies to deprime my 5.56 mil brass.  I have never had a problem.

Something else was wrong there.

Ive used my hornady FL die with no problem. Maybe the pin is not lining up with the flash hole. I will have to check when I get the new pin.
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Everytime I have broken a decapping pin, the culprit has been either a Berdan primed case or off center flash hole
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#9]
My Lee Univ. Decapping Die broke recently (for the second time) while punching primers from crimped Lake City brass.

The problem I've had with this die is the spindle/pin thingie that's held in the collet is not real straight. I don't know if it's the spindle that's bad or the collet. But whenever I used it, I had to go REAL slow to keep the pin from banging on the side of the flash hole or, worse yet, to keep the spindle from colliding with the case neck.

The original pin/spindle did that and the replacement I bought did that. I'm not going to buy a third one.

Been decapping crimped primers lately with either my RCBS sizing die or my Forster resizing die... without any problems or broken pins.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the help guys!
Im getting a new pin sent out to me, I think it was not lining up with the flash hole.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the help guys!
Im getting a new pin sent out to me, I think it was not lining up with the flash hole.

Sir, FWIW I've bent a few decapping pins over the years myself.  The last time I checked the RCBS web site they offer a bag of five.  I still have at least three in the bag which I keep with other small parts.  AFAIK there are two different diameters.  While the actual dimensions are unknown until I go home and actually take some measurements, the larger diameter pins won't work in some .223 brass which have small primer flash holes.  That may be your problem, check the diameter of the decapping pin of your universal decapping die and compare it to the flash hole diameter of the brass you have deprimed with your other dies.  If you find the pin to be oversize, you'll need to order smaller diameter replacement pins.  HTH, 7zero1.

Link Posted: 10/26/2010 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My Lee Univ. Decapping Die broke recently (for the second time) while punching primers from crimped Lake City brass.

The problem I've had with this die is the spindle/pin thingie that's held in the collet is not real straight. I don't know if it's the spindle that's bad or the collet. But whenever I used it, I had to go REAL slow to keep the pin from banging on the side of the flash hole or, worse yet, to keep the spindle from colliding with the case neck.

The original pin/spindle did that and the replacement I bought did that. I'm not going to buy a third one.

Been decapping crimped primers lately with either my RCBS sizing die or my Forster resizing die... without any problems or broken pins.

Remove the spindle from the decapping die and chuck it it a drill. Spin it at high speed whille applying a file to the blunt end at a 45 to 60 degree angle. This will align the spindle with the case mouth and guide it through if it doesn't start out perfectly. The 90 degree angle as they come from the factory is what causes this problem

For the OP. When your parts arrive place a deprimed case in the shell holder that has a perfectly centered flash hole. When you adjust decapping depth and tighten the spindle it should be perfectly centered from there on. BTW - perform the filing trick I outlined above, followed by some polishing with emery cloth. A problem prevented is a problem solved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top