Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2003 9:16:24 AM EDT
Finished a XM177 5.5" FH with it. Took a week to cure, but now its hard as a rock. Looks great and should hold up well. I used the Dark Park. grey color, its not as dark as you would think.
I also bought a can of flat black...now I'm looking all over the house for things to paint.
Damn you Mark5pt56...its all your fault.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#1]
My experience with AHII has been very favorable. Don't get in a rush, cause it takes a long time to dry, but hard as nails and very durable when cured. I used black, but I am sure other colors are just as good.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:26:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have to bead blast the parts?
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 5:59:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Bead blasting is reccomended. I have used the stuff and I love it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 8:50:01 PM EDT
[#5]
When I finished my Robar build-up, I sprayed the receiver with Gun-Kote, cooked it, and sprayed everything, except the inside if the receiver, with the dark park gray. I think it turned out very nicely...

Link Posted: 7/21/2003 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#6]
This stuff is pretty good from a cosmetic paint standpoint, but I would not recommend putting it on two surfaces that bear against each other.  This stuff has a nasty way of galling that can slow things down dramatically.  Keep it away from slide rails and bolts.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Slacker the paintmeister!  Grant did all of his paintball stuff also! I just did the float tube and upper on my carbine in OD ,looks great! It has the OD C1 stock and ergo grip.

Mark
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:03:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Grant's paintball stuff came out really good. I think he used Krylon or some other cheap Wal-Mart paint.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
When I finished my Robar build-up, I sprayed the receiver with Gun-Kote, cooked it, and sprayed everything, except the inside if the receiver, with the dark park gray. I think it turned out very nicely...

www.hunt101.com/img/048471.jpg

Very nice Robar!
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Scott, That's right, I forgot he wanted to try the paint out and not be permanent initially. The hardest part is actually painting something-fear of the unknown.

Mark
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Are there any other epoxy-based spray paints out there which are of comprable quality and readily available at your local Home Depot, Lowes, etc?

I have a bit of a project coming up...
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:40:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't know of any that are av through a local store. I'm not sure what your painting. I did a carbine with the Krylon and it's wearing great, it doesn't cook of the barrel, it has the AK brake and it's still on there(the paint)I store it muzzle down and the clp migrates to the outside of it and other than a low sheen, doesn't hurt it. Has a couple nicks here and there, but oh well. I baked the Krylon onalso, 175 or so.

Try the Aluma-Hyde II, you can cut the cure time to a couple days by hanging it in an attic(nice time of year for that)or baking at a lower temp 175-200. What ever you use, insure you degrease it well, especially around the nooks and crannies. Lube creeps out of those places fo rdays on end. repeated degreasing is best.

Mark
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 4:49:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I have consistently heard good things about the high-temp engine paint, especially the stuff with ceramic additives [not the header paint, it is too brittle]. It can be baked on to increase toughness.  

Never tried it myself though.  I'm a Norrell moly resin kind of guy.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#15]
i completely refinished a FAL using the 1200 degree duplicolor at walmart.  i tested it first on two mags.  one unbaked, one baked @ 500 for one and a half hours.  it chips very easily without baking but i actually THREW the baked one onto the concrete and it held up.(3.99 FAL mag from tapco, wasnt worried about it.)  so i did the whole gun with it and im very pleased.

total cost for refinishing = $3.19
i already had the sandpaper and cleaning chemicals for prepping.

check this out:
www.wecsog.org/fal/carbine/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top