Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2005 12:57:17 PM EDT
I am considering putting an adjustable gas system in my Garand to lessen the blow on the op rod when shooting commercial ammuntion. I was thinking of the Schuster system, but I have a few questions first.

1) How difficult is an adjustable gas plug to install?

2) How much adjustment is required after installation and is this adjustment difficult?

3) Is there any problem with them working their way loose through normal use?

4) What are the tools that are needed to install it?

5)  Is the gas system actually effective or is it a waste of money?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/9/2005 4:56:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Clint Fowler has an adjustable gas system that's easy to adjust.
He's in Orange, Va, and does great work.

http://m1-m1a-ar15.com/index.html
Link Posted: 10/9/2005 7:46:47 AM EDT
[#2]
I use the Mc Cann units since they have a port type screw that you change out to adjust the bleed off (comes with 5 different size port).

The other type uses a allen screw that you have to slowly back out to get the right setting.  The downfall to this type is if you do need to pull the gas plug off, you have to screw around and figure out the correct setting again, where as the Mc Cann you just put the found gas port bleed valve back in after reinstall (read one time test for that ammo being used).

Low down to the install is use your combo tool and unscrew the old gas plus, thenscrew back the new gas plug in it's place.  The gas plug is the nut on the end of the gas cyclinder (looks like a X just under the muzzle).

From there, you just try from largest bleed off port to the smalliest to figure out what port is needed for the unneccery gas bleed off.

www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1538&title=M1+GARAND+ADJUSTABLE+GAS+SYSTEM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top