Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2021 11:50:20 AM EDT
All braced micro-roni & variants are apparently now SBRs per ATF's twisted logic. This includes MCKs, if the same logic is applied.

TL;DR:  Because braces are (only and exclusively?) for stabilizing big and heavy pistols for one handed shooting, and the inserted pistol isn't big and heavy (ATF apparently ignoring people with disabilities), it's automatically an SBR in all configurations. Period.

Ammoland article

Act accordingly.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn’t take long after the new emperor  arrived.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:42:48 PM EDT
[#2]
old news. that letter was written 2 years ago.

Take the thumb rest off and it will go a long way NOT being a SBR
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
old news. that letter was written 2 years ago.

Take the thumb rest off and it will go a long way NOT being a SBR
View Quote

The determination was apparently just released to the public.  Unless you were the original recipient of the determination letter, it's not old news.

Please read the determination carefully. The thumb rests were almost an afterthought in the determination.  It's the weight of the Glock/whatever pistol going inside the braced chassis that is the real "problem". That can't be changed.

It looks like removing the brace from the chassis would be the only way to make it "not an SBR", but then it may still be an AOW using their twisted logic.   This is not legal advice, I am not a lawyer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 1:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I stopped reading or worrying about the ATF opinion letters.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]
And just a month ago, other pistols where too big and heavy to be considered pistols and therefore SBRs.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I stopped reading or worrying about the ATF opinion letters.
View Quote

This. There are too many pistols in circulation anyways.

I didn't know anyone who owned a bump stock, but a federal judge threw away this charge because it is not against any laws.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 6:56:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I sbred my G17 for the Gen 3 sbr kit, love it, very compact and very lightweight, tremendous fun with 33 rd mag.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#9]
This was kind of what I was predicting when I saw what they came out with last month.

One of the things I wonder about is braced AOW's.  If you have a FPG, than it's now re-designed to use both hands.  But a brace is for only using one hand.  Wasn't the ATF saying braced pistols should be AOW's at one point?
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 11:06:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
This was kind of what I was predicting when I saw what they came out with last month.

One of the things I wonder about is braced AOW's.  If you have a FPG, than it's now re-designed to use both hands.  But a brace is for only using one hand.  Wasn't the ATF saying braced pistols should be AOW's at one point?
View Quote

ATF has said everything at some point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top