Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2002 9:41:13 AM EDT
I have a Oly AR with a 16 inch barrel that I got a couple of months ago.  I finally got it to the range this week and tried to sight it in at about 80-85 yards.
 I got it on paper but I'm afraid that if I raise the front sight enough to get my usual 2-21/2 inch high at 100 yards zero, the front sight is going to unscrew completly.
 Do I need a taller front sight  or can I just keep on unscrewing this one?  It shot great groups(aprox 2in. which with my eyes and iron sights is great).  
I know that this is not the "proper" sighting procedure, but I prefer all my centerfire rifles sighted this way, and I'm comfortable with it.  
Thanks
Frank
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Suggest you check out the Santose method here:
communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/zeroingmethods.msnw

For your rifle the Santose 50 yard method using M193 or M855 will keep your POI within 1.5" out to 300 yards. This is a very popular zeroing method here and one which I employ w/ my personal CQB AR.

Mike
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks very much for the info, that's what I'll do.
Frank  
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Suggest you check out the Santose method here:
communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/zeroingmethods.msnw

For your rifle the Santose 50 yard method using M193 or M855 will keep your POI within 1.5" out to 300 yards.

Uhh its 2" from 8M to 220M.  At 300 yards you are about 4" low, at 100 yards you are roughly 1.5" high...

Yes it is an excellent zeroing method, its the one I use on my AR-15s and recommend it to almost everyone (the only exception being High-Power match shooters).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top