Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2002 2:03:36 PM EDT
Are any of these worth the ~$130 they're asking for them? I've seen them made by different companies like Henry, Charter Arms, Armalite, etc. Is the offering by any particular manufacturer better than any others?
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#1]
jarhead_22,
ArmaLite designed this rifle so I would buy a used ArmaLite - in fact I would pay as much for a used ArmaLite AR-7 as I would for a new any of the others.
(Designed in 1960 and made by ArmaLite until 1973.  The designer was James Sullivan the same guy who designed the original AR-15.)  
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Henry seem to be the worst of the lot. I've heard enough bad things about all of them to stay well clear. Poor reliability and only fair accuracy. To bad, it is a neat concept. Have you considered a Marlin Pappose? They are accurate and reliable. More expensive, though.

Link Posted: 2/24/2002 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The Armalite is the way to go.. Early ones were distinguished by their almost orange stocks..Later Armalites have a brown/black/green swirled cycolac stock..

Charter's version is not bad, but the finishes were frequently a poor second to the origional..

The later versions I have little regard for, as they got away from the steel tube/aluminimum outer jaket barrel construction..

The BIG problem with ANY autoloading.22 is the magazine, and the hoardes of absolute junk AR-7 mags have done much to sour many shooters on these neat little rifles..Personally, for the two AR-7's I have gone through eleven magazines, just to have two absolutely reliable mags per rifle..
Once some good mags are obtained, these are very reliable, and reasonably accurate little rifles..

I found an Armalite early production, very good to excellent condition in the box with papers, and three mags for 125.00 at the Phoenix SAR show.. A little legwork on these will save you a LOT of swearing later..

Good luck-

Meplat-
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Survival Arms variant that eats only the cheapest, lube-covered .22's I can find.  The Remington UMC plain yellow box stuff, wildcats, and PMC zapper stuff works great in it.  The Federal stuff that comes in the 550 round boxes shoots great in everything I have except the AR-7.  I think it has something to do with the copper-coating and the bullet's shape.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:17:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I did a few days worth of internet research on the AR-7 and from what I read, the Henry version was just as good if not better than other Mfgs. Earlier Henry versions of the AR-7 were known for feed problems and that was corrected.

I cannot comment personally on the function of my AR-7 because I only put about 20rnds through the gun. Im not sure why I bought it, kind of a novelty, I guess. I keep it with my camping equipment however, when camping I always carry a .45 and pack either my Mark II or 10/22 folder anyway.
If I owned a boat, I probably store it there:)

I paid about $150 for mine. It has been my only Walmart purchased rifle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#6]

I have an early Charter Arms.

It works pretty well but is ammo sensitive. It requires fairly hot ammo, and won't feet hollow points.

It is a fun little plinker.

Cheers,
Chris
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 11:18:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Henry.  I bought it because when I was a kid my dad wouldn't let me buy one - then I grew up (though some will debate that statement) and needed a cheapo .22 for plinking and bought it.  It worked great and accuracy was much better than expected - until I tried running some Aguila(sp) sub-sonic through it.  I fired exactly 5 rounds of sub-sonic through it just to see how quiet it was and they ran without a hitch.

The problem started when I tried running normal ammo back through it.  Now it fails to eject.  Might as well be a bolt action that jams a lot.  Thinking of taking it to a gunsmith but hate to spend the money on a gun that is so cheap to begin with.  Any ideas out there?  I have been through it piece by piece 3 times with little improvement.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
until I tried running some Aguila(sp) sub-sonic through it.  I fired exactly 5 rounds of sub-sonic through it just to see how quiet it was and they ran without a hitch.

The problem started when I tried running normal ammo back through it.  

If the Aguila is shorter than standard .22LR the problem could be there is a lead build up at the front of the chamber.   ANy cleaning you done did not remove all of it and its causing the .22LR cases to get held in by the extra friction.  (same thing can happen if you shoot lots of .38 lead nose in your .357 magnum).

Just requires lots of cleaning of the chamber (and visually inspect to insure all the lead is out).  HTH!
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I have two AR-7's.  One is a Charter Arms that I bought back in the early 80's and the other is an Armalite Middle Eastern military surplus that I bought a few years ago. The Charter Arms is just your typical AR-7 with a black stock.  I haven't shot it for about 15 years, but I do remember I thought the sites were kind of cheaply made.   The Military surplus AR-7 is a whole different animal.  It has a telescoping wire stock with a built in holder for two magazines.  The gun came with three magazines.  It is in excellent to new condition.  I figure it spent many years sitting in some pilots emergency survival kit. Unused and maybe unfired.

Larry
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 5:39:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought an Armalite at the gun show on Sat.  It had the orange stock.  The owner, who is a trustworthy friend, said it was accurate up to 150 yds.  It was in very good shape and I bought it for $100.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:09:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a new ar-7 from Henry.

It was a jam-o-matic nightmare.  I was luck enough that the gun store gave me a full credit towards a Ruger 10/22.  I threw on a folding stock and was good to go with my survival kit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:19:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The Military surplus AR-7 is a whole different animal.  It has a telescoping wire stock with a built in holder for two magazines.  The gun came with three magazines.  It is in excellent to new condition.  I figure it spent many years sitting in some pilots emergency survival kit. Unused and maybe unfired.

Larry

Larry,
what you have is an ArmaLite AR-7 made for the Israeli Air Force.
As you stated, telescoping wire stock, an "FN" pistol grip with probably a rubber sleeve protecting the bottom, barrel is probably ported and may or may not have a flash-suppressor.
Most likely the receiver has been sanitized to remove both ArmaLite and Israeli markings.  The barrel likely is still marked "ArmaLite AR-7 Explorer.
Probably has an Israeli olive drab sling strung through a thin olive drab shoulder pad.
Serial number should still be  on the forward, right side of the trigger housing just behind an inserted magazine.
Rear sight is a peep-hole and the front shrouded.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 8:27:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I bought an Armalite at the gun show on Sat.  It had the orange stock.  The owner, who is a trustworthy friend, said it was accurate up to 150 yds.  It was in very good shape and I bought it for $100.  

Did you purchase a .22 cal Armalite or the .223?
150yrds is quite excessive for any .22 rimfire rifle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Military surplus AR-7 is a whole different animal.  It has a telescoping wire stock with a built in holder for two magazines.  The gun came with three magazines.  It is in excellent to new condition.  I figure it spent many years sitting in some pilots emergency survival kit. Unused and maybe unfired.

Larry

Larry,
what you have is an ArmaLite AR-7 made for the Israeli Air Force.
As you stated, telescoping wire stock, an "FN" pistol grip with probably a rubber sleeve protecting the bottom, barrel is probably ported and may or may not have a flash-suppressor.
Most likely the receiver has been sanitized to remove both ArmaLite and Israeli markings.  The barrel likely is still marked "ArmaLite AR-7 Explorer.
Probably has an Israeli olive drab sling strung through a thin olive drab shoulder pad.
Serial number should still be  on the forward, right side of the trigger housing just behind an inserted magazine.
Rear sight is a peep-hole and the front shrouded.

Larry, just a quick add - I suspect you knew all of the above but wanted to mention you're the 'ONLY' person I know that got all three mags !!
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#16]
5subslr5
Your right on about my AR-7.  The only writing on the receiver is the word safe right above the safety.  There are some markings on the trigger guard.  The number "78" The serial number and what looks like a backward "k" and a "n" on it's side inside an oval. The same marking/stamp is on the stock release. the barrel is ported and has:
"ArmaLite AR-7 EXPLORER. Cal. .22 LR
COSTA MESA. CA. MADE IN U.S.A.
B.T.C. S.E.M. CA." and the serial number inscribed near the front sling swivel.
Included with the AR-7 was a four page guide, a new cleaning kit, a new but cheap looking canvas sling and a new still wraped in plastic rubber grip base cover.  

Larry
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:24:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Larry, does your AR-7 have a flash suppressor ??

(Sounds like you have an almost pristine rifle !)
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 11:31:03 AM EDT
[#18]
5subslr5
There are a couple of holes drilled into the top of the barrel in front of the front sight.  I guess they act more like porting than a flash suppressor.  I've never fired the gun so I can't say. In fact it's only been out of the box four times including last night when I looked at the markings. I was in my "buy a gun a month" phase and picked up a lot of guns back then just because I could.  I still have about half a dozen that have never been shot. Those were the days. The gun is in nice condition and the documentation says it's new, but the finish is uneven in spots on the barrel and I suspect it  may have been refinished.  Then again the markings on the barrel are clean silver in color and show no signs of wear.  The barrel is black.  Maybe part of the barrel was refinished?  Or maybe that's just the way they came from the factory.  

Larry
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#19]
LarryinCA
you wanna sell it? I remember those little rifles, neat little buggers.
BrenLover
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#20]
SorryOciffer
Thanks for the offer, but I've only sold two weapons in my life a pre-ban HK91 and a pre-ban bushy. I still wake up in the middle of the night thinking about them.  If I were to sell another gun, I might never be able to sleep again.

Larry
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I just bought one (a few hours ago!)
It's an Henry Arms AR-7 U.S. Survival Rifle.What a cool weapon! It's super lightweight,and very practical.Have not fired it yet,but I've been getting to know it.Very nice,with Real-Tree Mossy-Oak break-up camoflauge.Looks really neat.I hope I don't set it down in the woods and lose track of it:)
Mags work fine,it came with two,and they feed perfectly.The assembly is so easy,once it it completely tightened up,it feels like a very solid rifle.Floats when assembled and when stowed!
Only gripe so far? the extra magazine rattles inside it's compartment in the stock.But,I've decided to just keep the extra mags in my pockets or something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top