Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2003 6:01:12 PM EDT
I have an Colt SP-1 in very good condition. The bolt carrier has a "c" near the front of it so I assume it is a Colt carrier. The bolt appears to be in excellent condition. The problem is after I load and fire the first round it fails to pick-up the next round. I tried several different magazines but it did the exact same thing with each mag. I then replaced the bolt and carrier with a generic one out of my kit and the rifle proceeded to function flawlessly with any mag.
I purchased the rifle second hand and the reciever appears to have been refinished. Although done quite nicely, a close insp will reveal minor imperfections in the body of the reciever. What I'm wondering is maybe the bolt has also been refinished after severe use and is actually worn-out even though it appears to be in good cond?

What other reason can you see that would lead to this malfunction?

thanks for your input, jp
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you checked the gaps on the gas rings on the back of the bolt?  Make sure they're staggered, it's easy to miss. Also check the gas key (tube on top of the bolt carrier) and ensure it is secure.  HTH
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 9:07:20 PM EDT
[#2]
^^^What he said^^^

Also, you could just swap gas rings on the bolts & give that a try. If it works then pick up a couple extra sets. I like the McFarland Gas Rings myself, check them out here:

www.armalite.com/sales/catalog/components/boltassembly.htm

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top