Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 9:22:01 AM EDT
Anyone been cranking the South African Stuff through their M1A. If so let me know if its worth the purchase for some plinking ammo.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Didn't know the south africans made .30 carbine ammo.  

But, my M1A seems to like the South African .308

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I shoot the whee out of it in my M1A, Garand[308] and FALs. Good to go stuff. Expect decent accuracy for surplus. There is betterSHOOTING surplus out there but it's much harder to find, and more expensive also.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#3]
My M1A shoots anything I put through it.  The loose-pack LC surplus ball is more accurate, but I can pull very satisfactory combat-accurate groups off a bench (elbow support, not from sandbag) with the SA.

Overall you'd better buy the SA up while it's still plenty available - definitely the best thing out there in quantity, all things considered.  There are a least a couple threads going in the ammo forum about it's availability, so I won't get redundant here.  Suffice to say it's at it's peak for price and availability (about $212-215 per 1260 rd case at my local funshow), and we know how long that typically lasts.  I still kick myself for not buying more of the Aussie - I'd got one unopened 800 rd case, and it'll be saved for that "special occasion"
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:09:30 PM EDT
[#4]
My M1A (TRW barrel) produces between 2 and 3 inch groups with the South African 308. That is shooting from a bench, sand bags, and a scope. It certainly isn't the best performing surplus in my M1A, but I am well pleased with it. I wish that I had 10 more cases of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top