Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/4/2004 2:02:28 PM EDT
I have a Maadi AKM with that crappy thumbhole stock. Will it be legal to replace it with a standard stock and pistol grip after the AWB sunsets?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:07:53 PM EDT
you can change it now if you replace a certain amount of US made parts. go to the AK section on this site to find out exactly what you need to do.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:11:22 PM EDT
Thanks but I would like to keep the original parts. Just replace the stock and pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:28:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:54:19 PM EDT
Yeah that's what I figured. I thought that something like that would be covered in the AWB, but I was wrong. One of these days I will change some parts and get rid of that stock. As it is, it shoots okay. Just hate that stock!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:56:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yankee56:
Thanks but I would like to keep the original parts. Just replace the stock and pistol grip.

just do it!

nobody said you had to get rid of the original parts. i'd rather have something i enjoy than something all original. i've modified every gun i own except for a couple.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:35:50 PM EDT
Replace the hammer, trigger, and sear with ones from tapco (G2), get a US made pistol grip and gas piston from KVAR. Actually, I think tapco has a whole package with all five parts as well. If you want a wood stock, get one from ironwooddesigns.com, if you want synthetic, go kvar. Buttstocks and handguards count as US parts also. Keep it legal. A highcap AK type rifle with a stamped receiver can have only 10 foreign parts. So, five must be US, 6 if you use a muzzle device. This is all related to the '89 Import Ban. Apparently the ATF is of the opinion that a handful of parts makes a rifle domestic instead of imported. Dumb, but what the hell.
Top Top