Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2004 2:02:28 PM EDT
I have a Maadi AKM with that crappy thumbhole stock. Will it be legal to  replace it with a standard stock and pistol grip after the AWB sunsets?
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:07:53 PM EDT
[#1]
you can change it now if you replace a certain amount of US made parts.  go to the AK section on this site to find out exactly what you need to do.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:11:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks but I would like to keep the original parts. Just replace the stock and pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:28:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah that's what I figured. I thought that something like that would be covered in the AWB, but I was wrong. One of these days I will change some parts and get rid of that stock. As it is, it shoots okay. Just hate that stock!
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks but I would like to keep the original parts. Just replace the stock and pistol grip.

just do it!  

nobody said you had to get rid of the original parts.  i'd rather have something i enjoy than something all original.  i've modified every gun i own except for a couple.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:35:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Replace the hammer, trigger, and sear with ones from tapco (G2), get a US made pistol grip and gas piston from KVAR.  Actually, I think tapco has a whole package with all five parts as well.  If you want a wood stock, get one from ironwooddesigns.com, if you want synthetic, go kvar.  Buttstocks and handguards count as US parts also.  Keep it legal.  A highcap AK type rifle with a stamped receiver can have only 10 foreign parts.  So, five must be US, 6 if you use a muzzle device.  This is all related to the '89 Import Ban.  Apparently the ATF is of the opinion that a handful of parts makes a rifle domestic instead of imported.  Dumb, but what the hell.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top