Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2002 9:17:02 AM EDT
Which one of these creates the least noise or other disruption?

I am planning on picking up a postban bushmaster shorty and am thinking of adding a brake. Do the brakes offer any flash reduction or do they instead add to the flash?

I dont want much added noise or other disruptions but would like to have the ability to have quick follow up shots which the brake would help with.  If it creates too much extra noise, flash, etc I may just order it without any attachment.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't comment specifically on the brakes you mention since I don't have either.  I have an American Spirit Arms 20" with their brake.  It certianly makes the gun more noisy.  As for the flash?  Watching the gun from behind you can see the fire from the ports, kinda cool really.  If I had it to do over again though I'd skip the brake.  The .223 doesn't recoil/climb too much anyhow.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 11:39:21 AM EDT
[#2]
AK is far less obnoxious than the Mini-Y comp.  However Kurts KKF brakes are the least bothersome and the best looking.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been happy with the Wilson brake. As mentioned, Kurt Kustom also offers a nice brake.

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 1:41:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Had both,the ak is by far the best.They both will add to perceived blast to the shooter.Both will increase noise to others shooting around you,but the miniy will increase greatly the noise to you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
The AK-74 brake (the "akey-brakey") looks wierd but it works LIKE YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE.

I launched a few rounds from a braked SAR-2 (5.45mm) and there was literally NO RECOIL.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#6]
The Ak brake is ugly as hell (especially on an AR) but it works great, reduces recoil by like 80%, the mini y works pretty good too and looks alot cooler, but is loud as hell, neither one suppresses flash at all, they actually probibly increase it. I have the mini Y because the ak is just to ugly, they are even unly on an AK-74

That wilson brake is cool, looks like a birdcage, but of course only has a .22 size hole, so it only looks like a hider from the side
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:57:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I find the Mini-Y to be very distracting to shoot with. Not only does everyone else around you feel the blast but it comes back and hits you. It works great but just to annoying for my tastes.

I am also prejudiced because I own one with the AK brake and love it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I've liked the AK brakes more than the Mini-Y or Y-Comp brakes due to the noise.

Until I fired these, I thought the ArmaLite brake was overdone.  It has nothing on these two.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top