Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 2:38:10 PM EDT
i am going to a show this weekend to hopefully pick up a german 98k. anything i should look for or not look for? any advice would be appreciated. thanks in advance.
-jay
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not the best person to reply but I asked this question about a month ago under the Curios & Relics section and if i remember correctly they suggested purchasing a Yugo Mauser as the cost is about $150, ammo is cheap.

Basically, these are not the most collectable or desirable Mausers but for the money they are great shooters and the 8mm ammo is cheap.

I have been research Mausers getting ready for the next gun show and there are many many many different types.

I actually ended up getting a Swedish Mauser (6.5x55mm ) as I had some printed out information that read..."This Swedish Mauser is in belief one of the finest examples of the Mauser rifle.  The level of craftsmanship  and detail is incredible. If you have an opportunity to purchase one - DO!"

Go to http://www.surplusrifle.com/mauserswedish/index.asp as this will provide information on some types of Mausers, but keep in mind there are many others.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Persians are top grade ($150-230). Yugo's are Nice (100-150). Turkish are dirt cheap (50-75). And stay away from Cechz.  About all I can tell ya. German ones are on a case by case bases, some are woth $1000+, others are worth $50.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Persians are top grade ($150-230). Yugo's are Nice (100-150). Turkish are dirt cheap (50-75). And stay away from Cechz.  About all I can tell ya. German ones are on a case by case bases, some are woth $1000+, others are worth $50.

No, Dont stay away from Czechs.

Persians are Czechs.

Czechs are Czechs too.  

Machining on them is head and shoulders above a Yugo, and very close to or as good as a German gun.  The later German production guns, they were in a hurry and didn't spend as much time on, hence lower quality.

A Swede is generally regarded to be the highest quality, but thats not a 98k.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:24:03 AM EDT
[#4]
i was hoping to get one with the intact german markings. anything about them i should look for or stay away from? -jay
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:17:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, Dont stay away from Czechs.

Persians are Czechs.

Czechs are Czechs too.  

Machining on them is head and shoulders above a Yugo, and very close to or as good as a German gun.  The later German production guns, they were in a hurry and didn't spend as much time on, hence lower quality.

A Swede is generally regarded to be the highest quality, but thats not a 98k.

Ah, then it was Yugo's I was thinking of.

Correction, Buy Czechs, DONT buy YUGOS.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:19:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i was hoping to get one with the intact german markings. anything about them i should look for or stay away from? -jay

Matching Numbers, intact markings German Mauser should run you about $1,000. You can buy a Russian Captured Mauser with intact markings, but they numbers will be changed, as in a line though the orginal stamed number, and another number carved in by hand. These run $200. Yuck. Esthics count as far as I'm concerned and I think the Persians have the best, while I would love a German, I have yet to see a nice one for cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top