Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2002 10:34:02 AM EDT
Which pump action 12 guage do you like better?  Does the 870 have a bayo lug?  I like that about the 590...so evil.  What are some Pros and cons of both?  

I had a plain-jane Moss. 500 but sold it.  The 590 looks a lot better as far as heaftiness(steel reciever?) and finish.

Post pics if ya got em.  thanks
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#1]
The receiver on the 590 and the 500 are exactly the same and yes only the Mossy has a bayo lug.

The 590 is a great gun and cost less. I would only buy the Rem. 870 if you have the money but if you do not the Mossy 590 is an excellent choice with a plethora of add-ons and extras available.

Don't believe the morons who tell you the Mossy is junk, it ain't, I have seen a few that the USMC owned that looked like hell but were sweet as can be both lethal and reliable.

Link Posted: 4/21/2002 11:52:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#3]
 I chose the 590 over the 870. The 590's to look for are parkerized, have great ghost ring sights, (main selling point for me), a heavy barrel, and a speed feed stock. Ya the bayo lug is pretty cool, but the ghost rings are the best feature. And no, the 590 is not cheaper than the 870, not with those features. The plain jane 590 which you don't want, may be cheaper.  If you buy the 870, which by the way is also a great gun, you'll  end up spending a bunch of cash putting those neat  and very important after market  parts on the gun. This is all from a tactical point of view, for simple home defense, it makes no difference which one you buy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I also chose the 590. My decision hinged on the safety button on the Mossy. I am a lefty so the top mounted safety worked well for me as opposed to the more traditional push button on the 870. That is my only complaint on about my Preban Benelli M1 is the safety. I need to switch it around.

But come on... a bayo lug on a shotgun? How cool is that ?!?! It makes so much sense over having a bayo lug on an M4. Here you have a close combat weapon with limited ammo capacity. A bayonet may keep you in the fight even after you run dry on ammo. Not to mention it will stike fear into the heart of even the heartiest of criminals to see that shiny blade on the end of your shotgun.

Hard to see the 590, but it is the second from the top (top is a standard Mossy 500). The SpeedFeed pistol grip is gone and replaced with the original straight stock. The pistol grip made it hard to work the safety and the length of pull was all wrong. I love the side saddle, and ghost ring sights are awesome (I call it the "orange blade of death") Sure fire light was nice, but heavy and has now been moved over to the Mossy 500 with the shorter barrel.

Link Posted: 4/21/2002 4:55:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Go 590, I did.  It's awesome.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 7:55:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I picked the standard, the 870. Its indestructible and has more accessories available than the Mossy.   Nothing the matter with the 590 either.  I would, however, choose either of the above over the 500.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought this one last summer.

Mossy 51668.

Still waiting on this one.

Benelli M4 Super 90. Man, I want one of these bad!
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:29:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll cast my vote for the 590.

I know the Rem is a great shotgun, but I've never owned one. My 590 has never given me one second of grief.
Great weapon.

Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:33:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I had both, but sold the mossy. I had the 590 Marine finish with the 20" barrel 9 shot capacity and bead sight.

I now have a 870P 18" with factory Ghost rings and factory extended tube for 7 shot capacity.

The major differences between the two are the location of the safety and how smooth the action is. I happen to preffer the safety on the 870. The action on my 590, even after 500rnds wasn't even close to being as smooth as the 870's.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I own Mossberg 590A1.  Nice shotgun.  Only problem I encountered was super stiff safety switch.  I fixed that by adding some CLP.  Hehehe, now safety can be engaged and disengaged easily.  I need to buy magazine spring for my 590A1.  Someone please let me know where I can get it.  I'm also thinking about getting Vangcomp system installed to reduce recoil and enhance accuracy.  www.vangcomp.com
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
 I need to buy magazine spring for my 590A1.  Someone please let me know where I can get it.  I'm also thinking about getting Vangcomp system installed to reduce recoil and enhance accuracy.  www.vangcomp.com

I have a 590A1 18" Vang Comp. I like to shoot SG alot and have shot a few 3 gun events. I have seen several "worked" guns by a variety of smiths, Vang does seem to keep the pattern tighter for a greater distance than all of the others that I have seen to date.

The Mossy has held up well too, no broken parts after about 1500 rounds at least half have been full power slugs and buck (I really like to shoot slugs). The GRS has walked around abit, but hey, it has taken a tremdous pounding. The follower spring needs to be replaced too. I think I will contact Wolff Gun Springs www.gunsprings.com/ for a replacement. If I rember correctly, they made some titanium springs that should allow for loaded storage without spring failure.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:16:33 PM EDT
[#14]
590 all the way,how do i get a bayonet lug fitted as mine did'nt come with one?
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#15]
FORD VS CHEVY

I prefer the Remington 870.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like i'm the only one here who has had problems from their Mossberg. I have a 500 .20Ga I got about 12 years ago.  On the first trip out, the link that allows you to work the pump without depressing the button broke which stopped everything with an empty hull in the chamber.  Got that fixed and now the gun reliably jams every time you use it.  To chamber a shell you have to turn the gun upside down and shake a round into position. Maybe I just got the worst gun Mossberg ever made, but I won't buy another one because of it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 4:18:12 AM EDT
[#17]
If you want to talk about smooth actions,, find a High Standard pump.. with empty gun, cycle action, hold with muzzle pointing strait up, push button that allows you to cycle action again, and without touching forearm, the action will cycle.. In the 60's when military was looking for a new shotgun, they set out to test all the U.S. manufactured ones by shooting 10,000 23/4 magnum loads through them... The High Standard was the only one to complete this test,, ALL the others failed long before reaching this goal..In the end the High Standard wasn't selected, because it didn;'t have a quick change barrell, which they thought might present problems in the field in case the bbl got bent or damaged, it would have to be sent back to an armorer.. but this semi-fixed bbl makes it one of the most accurate smooth bores to fire slugs with, it would be very accurate with a modern rifled bbl. there used to be mag extensions, pistol grips etc. made for these, but not anymore,, they can be picked up reasonably cheap,, a lot of police trade ins out there... a great gun for the price, just no modern accessories made for it now, very smoothe and reliable...Ever seen the 10A or B bullpup auto's that they made,, the A had integral flashlite made into an ar-15 style carry handle,,,, way ahead of their time...
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#18]
What do Marine Force Recon, SEALs, Rangers, and SFOD-D have in common? They all use Remington 870s! The USMC has, according to reliable sources, replaced the trigger groups in their 590s several times Marine Corps wide. I have personally seen Mossbergs fail under moderate use. The 870s keep on going forever. If you are getting a Rem 870 get the Police. It has a better receiver, barrel, springs, finish, etc. If you are going to get a Mossberg make sure you get the 590A1.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Which bayonet fits the 590?
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:14:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I know the current USGI bayo fits.

Av.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#21]
I prefer the 870. I have much more experience with the 870 than the 590 and the few 590s I have experience I did not like the feel of the action.  It's just one of those things, to each his own.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 4:42:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I have had a 590 for three years no problems. No problems ever.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 10:52:31 PM EDT
[#24]
The 870 over the 590. Das my choice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top