Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 7:47:01 PM EDT
 There is an 870 express magnum at a pawn shop. Its the combo with synthetic furniture, a 26 inch vent ribbed barrel and the owner said a 20'' slug deer barrel. my question is, will the deer barrel shoot buckshot and other shells besides slugs and can i cut it off to 18'' if i wanted to? Also is 200 a good price for the rifle with both barrels?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
 There is an 870 express magnum at a pawn shop. Its the combo with synthetic furniture, a 26 inch vent ribbed barrel and the owner said a 20'' slug deer barrel. my question is, will the deer barrel shoot buckshot and other shells besides slugs and can i cut it off to 18'' if i wanted to? Also is 200 a good price for the rifle with both barrels?

Good price yes.  If its a smooth bore slug barrel you can shoot rifled slugs or buckshot.  If its a rifled slug barrel sabot slugs are best, buckshot would probably open up way TOO FAST as it would be spinning upon exiting the barrel.  You can cut it to 18" but why?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on which deer barrel it is.  The combo's have shipped with both imp cyl and fully rifled deer barrels, usually with rifle sites.

I just checked my dealers site (thru davidson's).  They are selling 870 combo's for $365-$399 depending on what you get.

I would say, if you want it and the gun looks safe and servicable, buy it.

You can always cut the barrel if you want, but I wouldn't.  Not for 2"

Bottom line:   nationwide sez "Buy!"
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#3]
You can shoot buck out of a slug barrel as long as the barrel is not rifled. I imagine for that price it is not so you should not have to worry. The slug barrel is probably 18 or 20 inches from the factory so you would not have to worry about cutting it down. A new home defense version Remington express,
18 inch barrel, synthetic funiture will run you  in the 250 dollar range. A 26 in barrel will add anothe 100 or so dollars so it is probably not a bad deal. It will be worth more if it has factory rifle sights on the slug barrel. The only problem with the express series is that if you want to add an extended magazine tube those pesky dent in the feed tube will have to be remove. I know several smiths in okla
do that but am not sure of what they charge.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#4]
 How could I remove the dents myself? Ive done small jobs on some rifles before.If its a job for a dremel i could do it no problem.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:08:02 AM EDT
[#5]
You can drill through the dents, then deburr the holes as best you can.  My 870 express is one of the oldest ones and doesn't have the dents.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#6]
YES $200 is a GREAT price for the 870 with two bbls!!!

DON'T cut that 20" bbl down!!  Remington makes magazine extensions for both the 18" and the 20" bbl.

The 20" bbl give you an extra round, and in tactical drills you will NEVER notice the difference (unless you ride in extremely tight condtions like an Armored Personal Carrier in which case you need a folder stock)  

Keep it as it is, hunt with the long bbl, and leave it with the slug bbl and mag extension during the rest of the year and you have a TRUE all purpose do everything shotgun!

"Bigger Hammer"
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:29:14 AM EDT
[#7]
^^^^^^^^^
+1  Wife got me the setup for my birthday years back.

The 20" smoothbore with rifle sights and the mag extension only comes off if I know I'm going duck hunting.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top