Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2005 8:21:42 PM EDT
can the barrels be swapped on these?

The 870 can handle 3" and the Wingmaster is only 2 3/4"

Looking at Brownells, the barrels they list don't mention shell length.

At Remingtons site it says this

NOTE: Model 870 Extra Barrels with 3" chambers will fit Super Magnum, Magnum, and 2-3/4" receivers.  These barrels will handle both 2-3/4" and 3" shells when used on Magnum receivers.  Use only 2-3/4" shells when these barrels are used on 2-3/4" receivers.

So is the shell length determined by the reciever?

I'm asking because I'm thinking of trading the 20" barrel from my 870 for the 18" barrel that is on a police trade-in that was built on from Wingmaster.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]
An 870 receiver can be cut to convert it for 3" shells.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

So the barrels are the same for both? The difference is in the reciever?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 8:45:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So the barrels are the same for both? The difference is in the reciever?

Correct. I believe the difference is the ejector. Whether I am right or wrong, I know the reciever determines the shells you should use.

Wilson Combat is one place that can do the mods to turn your 2 3/4 inch receiver into a 3 inch receiver.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Call Hans Vang at Vang Comp. Great guy, great service, awesome product.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the deal on Remington receivers and barrels:

Remington's older guns were for 2 3/4" shells.
The newer guns are set up for 3" shells, and the receivers are marked "Magnum".

Except for a very few odd models, ALL Remington barrels will fit ANY receiver.
There is no real difference between a Wingmaster barrel and a Police barrel.
For all intents and purposes, the Police model is just a Wingmaster with a dull finish and a few other minor changes.

The only difference between a 2 3/4" receiver and a 3" Magnum receiver, is the ejector assembly.
The older guns have a short ejector, and although you can fire 3" shells, they can't eject due to the shorter ejector.

A gunsmith can remove the short ejector, and rivet in a new 3" Magnum ejector assembly.

So, you can shoot 2 3/4" shells through any 870, including 3" Magnum guns.
You can fire 3" shells in a non-Magnum receiver, as long as it's fitted with a 3" chambered barrel, BUT they won't eject.

If you have an older non-Magnum gun you can go ahead and put a 3" barrel on it, but unless you have the ejector replaced, you can only shoot 2 3/4" shells.

No great loss, since recoil on the 3" Magnum ammo is HEAVY, and most people never shoot it anyway.
Many people are going the other way, and using the reduced recoil ammo, that's just as effective but has less recoil and muzzle blast.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:55:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for clearing that up guys.

No great loss, since recoil on the 3" Magnum ammo is HEAVY, and most people never shoot it anyway.
Many people are going the other way, and using the reduced recoil ammo, that's just as effective but has less recoil and muzzle blast.

I'm pretty sure I'll never fire a 3" in my 870P for all the reason you stated, I just wanted to avoid on other problems

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:22:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Bug, yours is marked like mine right? Remington 870 Police Magnum.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:37:10 AM EDT
[#8]
yes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top