Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2011 11:38:08 AM EDT
Saw a Brazilian Mauser in 7x57 at the gun show for $275. The bore looked clean, but overall the gun was fairly rough. Kind of been wanting to get a C&R firearm such as a 6.5 Swede, which the seller also had, a K31, or a Mauser. I know the 8mm is more common, but have heard good things about 7x57 too. Anyone have one? What's a good price for a shooter?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:40:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Too much for patina'd brown Fair-Good condition Brazilian 1908 Mauser.

7x57 is a good round but cheap Surplus is long gone for the most part.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]
What you saw was probably a rifle that came out of Springfield Sporters in Pennsylvania some years back. When their gun dealing business went belly up they had an auction on premises. These 1908 that looked ratty were low end that pretty much nobody wanted because you could still find very nice 1908 long rifles reasonably priced.

In 2011 with no current imports of 1908 Brazilian long rifles you pay what the market bears. Seeing that these are rather nice rifles when found in upper condition I'd suggest you shop shop shop until ya drop. Don't settle for a low end junker. The 1908 are DWM rifles (with some made by Mauser). I have one that's "below" average but it came to me in a deal so I have it.

The K31 are most common right now so you should snap one up before prices climb....again. They got down to $90 at one time but that'll never happen again. I think I paid $150 for mine. The K31 is a beautifully made rifle so paying a premium isn't foolish.

And that goes doubly for Swedes. They will never be affordable again. I just looked at one online that someone asked me about. It was a 1900 Oberndorf m/96 for $395. It wasn't overpriced. There are bargains to be found and even bargins on Gunbroker, believe it or not. There have been a couple smokin' deals that snuck under the wire that nobody fought for so the lone bidder won a upper end rifle for a below average price.

Knowledge is power!! Do your research BEFORE you buy. I know it's not as much fun....

Dutch
House of Karlina - Swedish Mausers
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Too much for patina'd brown Fair-Good condition Brazilian 1908 Mauser.

7x57 is a good round but cheap Surplus is long gone for the most part.

Yeah, that's why I passed. As far as ammo, I would just reload as there are plenty of quality 7mm bullets available. I know Mosins and ammo are cheap, but they do nothing for me. Just like Mausers and like the idea of something other than 8mm.

Best

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What you saw was probably a rifle that came out of Springfield Sporters in Pennsylvania some years back. When their gun dealing business went belly up they had an auction on premises. These 1908 that looked ratty were low end that pretty much nobody wanted because you could still find very nice 1908 long rifles reasonably priced.

In 2011 with no current imports of 1908 Brazilian long rifles you pay what the market bears. Seeing that these are rather nice rifles when found in upper condition I'd suggest you shop shop shop until ya drop. Don't settle for a low end junker. The 1908 are DWM rifles (with some made by Mauser). I have one that's "below" average but it came to me in a deal so I have it.

The K31 are most common right now so you should snap one up before prices climb....again. They got down to $90 at one time but that'll never happen again. I think I paid $150 for mine. The K31 is a beautifully made rifle so paying a premium isn't foolish.

And that goes doubly for Swedes. They will never be affordable again. I just looked at one online that someone asked me about. It was a 1900 Oberndorf m/96 for $395. It wasn't overpriced. There are bargains to be found and even bargins on Gunbroker, believe it or not. There have been a couple smokin' deals that snuck under the wire that nobody fought for so the lone bidder won a upper end rifle for a below average price.

Knowledge is power!! Do your research BEFORE you buy. I know it's not as much fun....

Dutch
House of Karlina - Swedish Mausers

Thanks for all the info. A K31 is on my list also and I probably should snag one while I can. The dealer had a nice looking 6.5 Swede, but part of the reason I passed is because I'm working on a deal for a Tikka T3 in 6.5 that a friend has. As far as the 7mm Mauser goes, I'll keep looking

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#5]
There are a few different variants of Brazilian Mausers........some more valuable than others....

DWM made 1908 long rifles and carbines, CZ made 08-34 carbines, FN made 1922 Carbines, 1894's, etc, etc......

Recently, a bunch of Brazilian contract 7mm VZ-24's were imported......mostly rough.......they run about 125 bucks in my neck of the woods

Do you remember which model it was????
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm fairly certain it was a 1908. It definitely was not a VZ. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a 1908 Brazilian back in the days they were plentiful and it is a sweet shooter. The bore was a bit cruddy when I got her, but cleaned up nice and I came in 6th in one of the first postal matches we had on gunboards.

Just like others have said there were some nicer ones, though very rare , and some in vg condition like mine. There was also some junkers as was said and I even remember some refurbed ones that had been parked by some company.

$275 would be a good price for a good to vg 1908. If the 7mm doesnt scare you pick one up you will like it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:30:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Hate to hijack but this might go better here than in a new thread.  I found a 7mm Steyr branded Mauser in a local pawn shop.  The place is dark so I had a hard time trying to find markings on it.  The wood looks good and the metal finish is about  30%.   They want $179 and the only reason I didn't make an offer is that the safety is stuck to the left.  I've tried looking up info on Steyr Mausers without much luck, does anyone here have some input on this rifle?.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:54:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Most Steyr 7mm's are Chilean 1912 Contract guns....Chilean crest...underneath marked "Modelo 1912"....."Waffenfabrik Steyr" on the rail.....That would be a very good price on the short rifle, and a decent price on the long rifle. Many of these were converted to .308 and will be overstamped "Modelo 1912/61"

If it's marked "Steyr-Solothurn" on the rail, and has a Columbian crest, it's a 1929 Columbian Contract gun....and you should buy it right now......
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I bought a 1908 Brazilian back in the days they were plentiful and it is a sweet shooter. The bore was a bit cruddy when I got her, but cleaned up nice and I came in 6th in one of the first postal matches we had on gunboards.

Just like others have said there were some nicer ones, though very rare , and some in vg condition like mine. There was also some junkers as was said and I even remember some refurbed ones that had been parked by some company.

$275 would be a good price for a good to vg 1908. If the 7mm doesnt scare you pick one up you will like it.

I like 7X57 and since I reload, no worries. Thanks for the info.

Best
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top