Posted: 9/20/2017 10:05:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard you can file down individual teeth
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:18:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:40:39 PM EDT
[#3]
There are o-rings you can install behind the threads of the muzzle device that will keep it from moving. They are heat resistant and hold up very well. I bought a bag of 20 and used them before enough carbon built up on the MD to where I didn't need them any longer. In fact, getting the can off is the difficult part for me now.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:29:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Why don't you just send it to AAC for them to replace the latch?
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:39:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:42:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is that the fix?
View Quote
It's pretty well known that the latch is a wear item. I'd start as GP suggested and send it in. Then consider sanding/filing the shoulder on the mount.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:33:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You file the angled shoulder, you don't file the teeth.

I had two mounts that locked up nice and tight and one I had to do a little filing on.  Once I polished the angle a little and it allowed the can to slip over that last tooth, it has stayed tight every time I use it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The problem isn't the latch, the problem is the angled surface on the mount stopping the can from going on far enough that the latch lands in the middle of one of the teeth instead of on top of it.  Unless the latch is damaged, replacing it won't change anything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why don't you just send it to AAC for them to replace the latch?
The problem isn't the latch, the problem is the angled surface on the mount stopping the can from going on far enough that the latch lands in the middle of one of the teeth instead of on top of it.  Unless the latch is damaged, replacing it won't change anything.
If his can is backing off the mount and he has to duct tape it to the rifle, that latch is worn out and needs replaced.

If OP is concerned about the can being tightened and being "between" two teeth, that's an intrinsic idiosyncracy of the design.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#16]
yeah the sdn6 latch sucks and most everyone knows it by now.AAC could have released a new latch out of stronger metal and saved themselves the trouble of replacing the latch on the same can multiple times ,but that would be too efficient.Its easier to tell the customer that their marketing video is outdated and their intended used for the do all can isn't ideal.

From now on when you screw the can on hold the latch down instead of letting it make that super high speed operator ratchet noise.Its going to keep the teeth from getting worn down as fast and its going to extend the time before you have to send it back for this again.

also if you want to know if its the latch or not just put the can on tight and then release the latch.Once the can is seated just turn it the opposite way and see if the latch holds the can on.If the latch teeth are good its going keep you from unscrewing the can which is the purpose of them while you fire.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an SDN6 and I really like it. I use it mostly on my AAC 300 black out handi rifle. Works great.

My NFA dealer has a personal one and hated the latching system so much he pinned and welded it to the mount. Now it's just a direct thread can lol.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#19]
It is in between teeth then. I've had to do this to every.single.fucking.mount I have for all my rifles.

Pull the mount, and chuck it up in either a lathe (if you have access) or I've whittled down a  section of dowel as well. Spin it up in a drill, and polish the shoulders until the can latches securely. Then repeat for every.fucking.mount you have. (Sorry, it was a great design, 20 years ago)

My SDN-6 has become a dedicated can on my SBR for the express reason that I will never buy another AAC 51t can.  

I'm serious, I've given my NFA dealer explicit instructions to kick my square in the twig and berries if I ever try to buy another.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow, that might be the sorriest excuse for a customer support response I've ever seen, that wasn't on a joke site like FML! AAC basically said that they designed the can for POI shift and fast attach applications at CQB ranges. Definitely not how the SDN6 was marketed way back when.

OP, sorry to hear about your troubles. I would probably go for the file method as many have reported success going this route.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Yeah I had the same issues with my SDN-6 when used with my bolt action 308 for long range precision work. Ended up getting a thread on suppressor for my bolt action rifle. The SDN-6 is awesome for full-auto short barrel guns for close range shooting. I use it mostly on my shorty 5.56mm and 300BLK guns. And my 308 battle rifles like my FAL and HK91. It can handle a lot of abuse. But yeah it's not a precision sniper rifle type suppressor at all. Thread on can is much more accurate. 
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Wow, that might be the sorriest excuse for a customer support response I've ever seen, that wasn't on a joke site like FML! AAC basically said that they designed the can for POI shift and fast attach applications at CQB ranges. Definitely not how the SDN6 was marketed way back when.

OP, sorry to hear about your troubles. I would probably go for the file method as many have reported success going this route.
View Quote
I think the new AAC is a lot more honest than the old AAC. The really sorry customer service comes from 8 years ago when AAC was pimping 51T as a precision mounting system.

If anyone is going for the tiniest of tiny groups, any mounting system which intrinsically allows a lock-up of anything less than absolute is not the best choice. OP does not have the correct can for his intended application. It's time to either change the application, change his expectations, or buy another can, unfortunately for him.

The SDN-6 is a pretty badass can with an outdated mounting system, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The SDN-6 is a pretty badass can with an outdated mounting system, in my opinion.
View Quote
Fair point. I've been trying to figure out a way to chop the ratchet mount off and use a QD style like the DeadAir mount or something similar.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Fair point. I've been trying to figure out a way to chop the ratchet mount off and use a QD style like the DeadAir mount or something similar.
View Quote
Someone with a SOT and more money than sense should definitely do it
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Lol @AAC

Guy's getting POI shift @ 100 yards on a bolt gun because his can is coming loose and that's "not what the can was designed for".

That's customer service, explain how your can was designed for easy removal by those HSLD types, hence the reason it's coming off.

It's so good as coming off it does it on it's own!

OP, I GAVE my SDN6 and 556SD to separate buddies. Free, and they paid the stamp. Each got 4 mounts.

All parties involved knew the issues, and all including myself felt like they got a sweet deal.

Never looked back.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Very happy with my 762-SDN6.  I take a little care with the release to reduce the wear on the teeth.  Tension hook up is not an issue...no wobble.

My application was always intended to be used on a carbine, works like a champ.

Sorry OP, you may need to purchase a different "can" setup for the precision application.  Although, hats off to AAC offering to address the latch if a repair was necessary.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:32:13 PM EDT
[#27]
OP, grab a pack of these.  We have 7 rifles with 51T cans and used the o-rings until the 51T mounts built up enough carbon to keep the cans secured without the o-rings. Even under heaving shooting they held up just fine and didn't move out of position or cause concentricity issues.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:34:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:42:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I realize now after reading all of the headaches associated with the 51t mount that it's not the best mount for long range use. Direct thread is king in that market.

What tweaks me is how it was originally marketed, how each mount is different, how it works awesome when tight but easily loosens up, and aac's inability to fess up.

If I wasn't so invested in mounts on all of my guns for this can I would look at getting a surefire. Their mounting system is awesome.

I guess I will have to start filling the mount to get it to lock up tight. Like how it should have come from aac.
View Quote
TB has been arguing for their brake mount recently iirc
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

TB has been arguing for their brake mount recently iirc
View Quote
TB as well as others are solid and repeatable. My Rugged Surge always has the same poi across multiple rifles. There's a video on YouTube of Ray from TB removing the can between shots at 5-600 yards and it held sub moa, this is one reason I just bought one as well as the light weight. I would'nt buy any AAC can unless it was for a cqb rifle I was going to beat to hell and don't want to worry about. Nothing against their cans/mounts but they are not precision oriented unless you modify the mb like already mentioned.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:22:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Thunder Beast
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#34]
I used my SDN6 on a precision rifle for a while. Even though I didn’t have any problems with the mount and didn’t notice any effect on my group size I eventually switched to another manufacturer for my precision guns. 

For me it it was the weight of the can and the POI shift between can on/can off. 

Been using cans with a taper mount and couldn’t be happier. 
The SDN6 lives on a 556 carbine now. 
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:43:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

@AAC What do you think?
View Quote
Is your suppressor getting looser as you shoot on the precision rifle? Or is it staying in the same position that you would have originally set it at?

I find it fascinating that AC is changing its position five years later. I have lots of trust clients that shoot these on their Precision rifles and have good luck with him. The sad thing is it really boils down to luck as to whether or not you have an issue.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#39]
TOTHEMAX, I have a question. How much is the can loosening? You say you were shooting at 700 yards and it threw you off target. Are we talking a little play, or was it enough to rotate 5-10 degrees?

AAC is saying that your issue is (POSSIBLY) normal to the 51t system. But I think (depending on your answer) this could be warranty issue. Could you maybe make a video showing the play? Or at least describe it thoroughly and see what aac says. It is entirely possible that simply sending the can back could fix this.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#40]
I recently almost bought an AAC can, but passed for another brand due to the mounting inconsistencies with the 51t mount. AAC seems slow to adapt/innovate...they have been passed by other brands and are not making significant strides to catch up.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I recently almost bought an AAC can, but passed for another brand due to the mounting inconsistencies with the 51t mount. AAC seems slow to adapt/innovate...they have been passed by other brands and are not making significant strides to catch up.
View Quote
You don't have to reinvent the wheel, just do a taper like Griffin
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 5:21:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 5:25:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:50:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This. I still can't understand if you're saying the can is backing off of the last tooth (which is typical, and polishing the face of the mount can fix), or if it's backing off the mount completely and not catching on any of the teeth. If it's the latter, then the latch is bad and they will repair it for free. If it's just not locking up on the last tooth, then that's pretty much how they all are.

In my experience, the POI shift with a 51T mount isn't as bad as the internet makes it out to be. I usually crank them on until they stop and then let it fall back to the previous notch so that it locks in properly. Don't try to force it to click into the next notch. If you're shooting for benchrest groups, then the 51T isn't ideal, but it's not like it will start shifting several MOA just because of a little play. They're still a good all-around 762 can, just not the newest and greatest thing on the market. If you're seeing a huge POI shift, then either the latch is bad or you have another problem.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
TOTHEMAX, I have a question. How much is the can loosening? You say you were shooting at 700 yards and it threw you off target. Are we talking a little play, or was it enough to rotate 5-10 degrees?
This. I still can't understand if you're saying the can is backing off of the last tooth (which is typical, and polishing the face of the mount can fix), or if it's backing off the mount completely and not catching on any of the teeth. If it's the latter, then the latch is bad and they will repair it for free. If it's just not locking up on the last tooth, then that's pretty much how they all are.

In my experience, the POI shift with a 51T mount isn't as bad as the internet makes it out to be. I usually crank them on until they stop and then let it fall back to the previous notch so that it locks in properly. Don't try to force it to click into the next notch. If you're shooting for benchrest groups, then the 51T isn't ideal, but it's not like it will start shifting several MOA just because of a little play. They're still a good all-around 762 can, just not the newest and greatest thing on the market. If you're seeing a huge POI shift, then either the latch is bad or you have another problem.
Exactly this post.

Don't try to get it onto that very last notch and not have it properly engaged. Put it on the last notch it will fully seat into. The can/mounts do not have a "problem." The design securely retains the can, and intrinsically allows the can to rotate a small amount back and forth when you sit there and wiggle it back and forth.

It's a hard use can. I have, to my knowledge, the first approved transferred SDN-6. Mine has seen plenty of full auto on a 10.5" 5.56 and 16" 6.8 SPC. Thousands more rounds on 5.56 SBRs and .308 precision rifles. I've cooked the finish off and the can still works good as new. My issue with the 51T is that the latch is a wear item, but can't be replaced by the end user. The "wobble" is a non-issue.

AAC will replace the latch for you. I don't know what you expect beyond that, they don't have a time machine.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#45]
I use o-rings on both of mine. I haven't had any issues with or without the o-rings.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I used my SDN6 on a precision rifle for a while. Even though I didn’t have any problems with the mount and didn’t notice any effect on my group size I eventually switched to another manufacturer for my precision guns. 

For me it it was the weight of the can and the POI shift between can on/can off. 

Been using cans with a taper mount and couldn’t be happier. 
The SDN6 lives on a 556 carbine now.

View Quote
This is exactly my experience, from start to finish.  I have put several thousand rounds through my SDN-6, at least 30% of which were at 600 yd.  It was always on, it never came loose, but it is not a precision rifle can.  I don't remember it being marketed as a precision rifle silencer though, more of a super tough multi-cal can designed for 300 BLK.  

So, when you say it comes loose after firing, you mean it pops off the last tooth it was half engaged on and is caught by the next tooth right?  If so, that is what it is designed to do.  If the can is actually rotating to where it is loosening and backing off of the mount (ie. either the latch or mount teeth or both are worn/out of spec) then that is definitely an issue.  I bought my SDN-6 before getting into precision rifles, now I have a Rugged Surge for that application.  IMHO it is better in every single aspect than the SDN-6, but it is of course several years newer.  The Rugged dual taper mount is incredible, I don't know where I would improve upon it...  SOLID no wiggle lockup, absolutely repeatable, installs and removes QUICKLY and EASILY every single time, silent.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I thought I described it properly above but I will try and take a video tomorrow.

It does not completely screw off. It loosens up and the latch sits between two teeth on the mount. It just rattles. If I filed the shoulder, which I will, it will fix the issue.

Just frustrating that that is the solution and that aac says buy multiple mounts, pick one and pay to ship the rest back. Great option.
View Quote
*Caveat*

I sent my SDN6 back to have the latch replaced. After filing all of my mounts for proper lockup. When I got it back, surprise surprise, it was in between teeth on every single one.  Hence my decision to never buy another AAC 51t can. Honestly, the very second the SHARE/HPA/whatever it gets named passes (if it ever does) this thing will be out the door so fast the ink won't even be dry on the bill of sale before I'm dropping cash on something from DeadAir.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#49]
I had an early SDN-6 I bought back in 2012. After a few thousand rounds of .308 on my SCAR 17, the welds holding the first blast baffle in place came loose and the baffle became canted inside the tube. The next round bulged the tube, and the suppressor was destroyed.

AAC took care of me and paid for the can (not the transfer tax or sales tax though). I bought a surefire 300SPS with the money (which Im still waiting for ). Much better mounting system.

I fitted all the 51T mounts to my suppressor so that they locked up tight with no play at all, and had great results till the suppressor blew up. BUT... I just don't think you should have to do that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 9:27:13 AM EDT
[#50]
I have filed exactly zero mounts and have never had an issue with my SDN. But I also understand from a simple glance at the design that it's designed to have play in it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top