Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2010 4:44:28 PM EDT
Just bought this Marlin, have yet to receive it.  Any ideas on what t may be worth?  Im told its a 1906, original wood, half octagonal, half round barrel.  Im looking to do a full restoration on it but dont want to if its pretty rare or worth a lot as is.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:04:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Judging it from the outside condition alone, your looking at $300 to $400 dollars.  If the bore is a sewer pipe, your looking at less.  You do however have 1 special order feature which is the half oct/ half round barrel.  The front sight also happens to look like a Rocky Mountain blade.  If she still shoots straight, I would leave it alone.  I good restoration (done right) would run you around $1K for metal and wood.  If the bore needs to be relined, your looking at another couple hundred.  If its complete and still shoots, I would say leave it alone and enjoy the character of it.  You have alot of histroy in your hands.  If you feel like dropping some coin into it, I would suggest Doug Turnbull or Hunter Restorations.  I had Hunter do a 76 Win for me and he is good and affordable.  If you choose to go another route on a restoration, DO YOUR HOMEWORK.    Too many people out there that will look cheap, but do a shit job.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  Pretty much on par with what im hearing on other sites.  Im looking to do most of the work myself, with the exception of bluing, color case hardening.  That alone wont be cheap to have it done well.  Granted Im not on par with those guys but it should turn out pretty well and will be a lot more satisfying for me.  Bought it for a project gun.  I personally HATE the look of the half octagon barrel but will probably keep it because of its scarcity or re barrel it.  Looking at The Firing Pin for case hardening and slow rust bluing.  Not cheap but seems to have good reviews and I like how his CCH turns out.  Should make a great companion to my new 1897 Cowboy, but with a lot more character.

The Firing Pin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top