Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2012 2:56:16 AM EDT
This has probably been asked before but i could not find it so imma ask it. Can you guys tell me about the difference of quality in the Spr 1903, Rem 1903 and the Smith Corona 1903. Also why some 1903a3s I see are $300 while others are $900. Are there reproductions? There is a smith Corona I believe or might be a Remington for $300 at a local shop and I was thinking of getting it for a shooter. I should check the rifling next time I am in. I wanna get a Springfield for my collection to go with the M1 Garand and 1911 when I have the extra cash for a collectors piece.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 3:02:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Also National Ordnance, what is the story on these guys? They make orginials or used just USGI parts in the 60's? I found one on GB for $375 and was wondering.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 7:03:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Getting into the mispurp area can be tricky. The basic levels are - original as issued condition, original but needing restoration, shooters (non restorable) and copies of originals. An original as issued 1903A3 can run from $500 up to whatever someone will pay. An original but needing restoration will bring whatever someone is willing to pay to restore it. A decent price would be $250-$300.  A non restorable (barrel cut, drilled, permanent alterations) is $150-$200. A replica as is the National Ordnance is in the non restorable area. Recommend stay away from them unless you reload. Condition and originality are everything. Accessories (sling, bayonet, cleaning items, muzzel covers) also add value. $300 for a shooter is alright but not a killer deal.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Getting into the mispurp area can be tricky. The basic levels are - original as issued condition, original but needing restoration, shooters (non restorable) and copies of originals. An original as issued 1903A3 can run from $500 up to whatever someone will pay. An original but needing restoration will bring whatever someone is willing to pay to restore it. A decent price would be $250-$300.  A non restorable (barrel cut, drilled, permanent alterations) is $150-$200. A replica as is the National Ordnance is in the non restorable area. Recommend stay away from them unless you reload. Condition and originality are everything. Accessories (sling, bayonet, cleaning items, muzzel covers) also add value. $300 for a shooter is alright but not a killer deal.

Yeah cause I was wondering, the rifle is set at $299 and I have always wanted one. I am young so I want one to shoot and eventually I will get a really nice one.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 9:58:07 PM EDT
[#4]
what shop is it? the smith corona and Remington are ww2 usually having two grove barrels instead of 4,  people will pay more for a Springfield specially if it is a actual m1903.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Check the serial nr. if the rifle is an 03 low sn. rifles are unsafe to shoot and usually bring lower prices.
I don't have the ranges here.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#6]
The govt contracted Remington to make M1903's in the 30's IIRC.  With Springfield making Garands, Remignton kept making M1903s after the war started.  Remington figured out a way to make the rifle cheaper and faster, and that became the M1903A3.  M1903A3's were made by Remington and Smith Corona.

Govt rifles were made by Springfield, Rock Island, Remington, and Smith-Corona.  It says which right on the receiver.  It's recommended to not fire the low number Springfields (under 800,000 for Springfield and under 286,506 for Rock Island) because of the way they did the heat treating resulted in some KB's.  They changed the heat treating at those serial numbers.  Later guns are considered "high number" and safe to shoot.  Remington and Smith-Corona came well after any of the heat treatment problems and are safe to shoot.

I'd avoid any rifle with a receiver made by anyone other than the four USGI makes.  They are all cast, and some are just OK and some suck.  Either way, they are just parts guns built on questionable receivers and usually aren't worth the asking price.  For all practical purposes, the civillian/aftermarket made guns are just a parts kit.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The govt contracted Remington to make M1903's in the 30's IIRC.  With Springfield making Garands, Remignton kept making M1903s after the war started.  Remington figured out a way to make the rifle cheaper and faster, and that became the M1903A3.  M1903A3's were made by Remington and Smith Corona.

Govt rifles were made by Springfield, Rock Island, Remington, and Smith-Corona.  It says which right on the receiver.  It's recommended to not fire the low number Springfields (under 800,000 for Springfield and under 286,506 for Rock Island) because of the way they did the heat treating resulted in some KB's.  They changed the heat treating at those serial numbers.  Later guns are considered "high number" and safe to shoot.  Remington and Smith-Corona came well after any of the heat treatment problems and are safe to shoot.

I'd avoid any rifle with a receiver made by anyone other than the four USGI makes.  They are all cast, and some are just OK and some suck.  Either way, they are just parts guns built on questionable receivers and usually aren't worth the asking price.  For all practical purposes, the civillian/aftermarket made guns are just a parts kit.

What you just posted and what I consider to be better combat sights are why I prefer the 03A3 to the 03.

I love my Remington 03A3.  It appears to be all original and probably never saw many rounds downrange.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 4:32:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
what shop is it? the smith corona and Remington are ww2 usually having two grove barrels instead of 4,  people will pay more for a Springfield specially if it is a actual m1903.

I was mistaken, the rifle was a National Ordanace, in which I somehow turned the end of the bolt 180 degrees and got it stuck when I pulled it back. It's at AJI in Apache Junction.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 5:56:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was mistaken, the rifle was a National Ordanace, in which I somehow turned the end of the bolt 180 degrees and got it stuck when I pulled it back. It's at AJI in Apache Junction.

Not knowing much about National Ordnance 03A3s, I did a little searching:

http://m14forum.com/steel-wood/82773-ra-national-ordinance-1903-a3.html

http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=16494

Not USGI.

Read those links and make up your own mind.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top