Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 12:51:09 PM EDT
I bought a 10/22 rifle.  I put on a butler creek carbon wrapped barrel. I put it in a bell & carlson anshultz target stock.  When I put the action and barrel in the stock it would not free float.  I opened up the barrel channel a little bit, but it was very apparent that it would take alot of cutting to get it to free float.  I didn't want to cut that much, so I put a shim between the action and the stock.  With the shim in, it shoots about 2 foot low at 25 yards with the scope elevation maxed out.  With the shim out it still only has about 6 inches of hieght adjustment left.  The pressure of the stock on barrel oviously makes it shoot higher.  When I put the barrel on, I took care not to over tighten the bolts.  I checked the barrel-receiver fit, it looked fine.  So, the question is:  Is the reciever face not square or is the indexing face of the barrle maybe a little off?  I can't seem to figure out why it is shooting so low.  I tried a different scope and had the same results.  
Can someone help before I break this thing into a million pieces!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#1]
you need to inlet the stock, if that dosent work then you have a fubar barrel
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#2]
where did you buy the bbl.?  See if you can send it back for a replacement.  How do your rings and base look?  Something isnt right.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:25:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I've tried different size bases and rings, with different hieghts.  It didn't make much difference.  I'm using a power custom base and leupold rings with a burus target scope. I put a leupold scope on it also, still did the same thing.  I got the barrel from midway.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#4]
the BC "carbon" barrels are notorious for not holding POI.  get a GM.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#5]
is the scope you are using a .22 rimfire scope?

most scopes if not for .22 have parallax set for 100yds. which could be your problem. i have a simmons 44mag on mine and had the same problem. what i did was order a set of burris signature zees and the insert kit. with these rings you will never damage your scope by putting ring marks on it and with the inserts you can offeset the scope which ever way to remedy your moa cant problem.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#6]
You need one of these.  I put 3 round in the same hole at 25 yards with my Volquartsen.
~Dg84

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I called michaels of oregon today to talk to them about the barrel.  I tried to talk to the guy about the problem I was having with the barrel, and before I could finish he started saying "it's not the barrel",  "its not the barrel".  He said that the only way it could be the barrel if it was not shooting consisently.  I've been around guns along time both personally and professionally, and I know that almost nobody can diagnois a problem over the phone in about 25 seconds.  They wouldn't even consider that it could be the barrel.  Which after talking to several people today and checking a couple things, I know its the barrel.  The guy said that I should shim the mounts.  If a gun is out of whack by 3 feet at 25 yards with the scope maxed out, it seems that there is a problem that requires a solution a little bit greater than just shimming the mounts. What I got was a load of horses**t.  I CAN SAY THAT I WON'T BE BUYING ANYMORE BUTLER CREEK PRODUCTS.  Their a bunch of Jackoffs.

I am just going to get a volquartsen or a lilja and be done with it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I am just going to get a volquartsen...  and be done with it.

And that my friend, will be the answer!
~Dg84
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#9]
This might sound silly, but are you adjusting the scope the right way?

Before you get pissed at me for suggesting this, I should tell you that I have at least two scopes that have the adjustments marked the WRONG way on them (from the factory). Cranking in more UP adjustment puts the shot lower and lower, and vice versa.

Wouldn't cost you anything to run the scope adjustment back the other way and see what happens, just for shits and giggles.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:42:55 AM EDT
[#10]
wanna sell the bbl to me cheap?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I am going to get another barrel. But before I do I'm going to perform some ameature gunsmithing on this one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top