Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2003 12:06:47 PM EDT

I purchased 1943 production M1 at a gunshow about four weeks ago, and have since fired 32 rounds on two separate occasions.  

Not a single one of the 32 rounds has ejected from the weapon, and I have to manually charge it each time.  Do I need to replace some parts, or what?  Thanks for your help in advance.
Link Posted: 9/15/2003 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Did the operating rod cycle, or just sit there like a turnip?  Partially cycling?

What ammo?  USGI M2 Ball?  Bubba's Reloads?

Rifle was cleaned and lubed prior to firing?

Pull the gas cylinder off the rifle and grab a 5/64 twist drill.  The gas port should be .0785" and this drill is .078125 diameter, so it should slide in the port easily.  If not gently spin in between your fingers and clean out the crud in the port.

Also check the piston on the tip of the op rod, it should be no smaller than .525".  A worn piston is common.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 3:33:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Avengr15,

What Chuck said....  

After doing all those things FIRST, do a test....

Load ONE round into the rifle, being careful NOT to allow the bolt to slam home from the fully open position.  Fire the round.

Q1:  Does the bolt lock open all the way back???

Q2:  Is the brass case attached to the face of the bolt, or does it stay in the chamber when the bolt comes back??

Best regards,
Swampy

Garands forever
Link Posted: 9/16/2003 10:25:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, after Chuck and Swampy there isn't much more I could say.

Please keep us informed. We'll help you out all we can.

Glad to see you aboard Swampy.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#4]
make sure the gas cylinder screw is tight- I have often seen this and when you tighten the screw it goes away. But I have also seen bent operating rods do the same thing, as well as out of spec(worn) gas cylinders.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
You need to be more descriptive as to what you are doing "manually charging it". I can't tell if you are having a gas cycling or extractor problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top