BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/5/2007 4:34:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf]
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 8:37:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach1] [#1]
Thanks for the info. The .22 rifle (and pistol) are invaluable tools. I never tire of shooting them.

Question: How did you separate the buttplate from the OEM plastic stock? Did you just pry it off? Use a Dremel tool?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 1:45:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: raf] [#2]
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#3]
www.rwva.org/yabbse/index.php?topic=1149.0

Looks like you have to register to go directly to the link, but if you go home, I think you can get there.

TXL

BTW, thanks for the post RAF,  now, learn to hotlink, you're Site Staff for goodness sakes!

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/22/2007 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not finding that link

Is it something that can be cut and pasted here?
Link Posted: 6/22/2007 1:17:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/25/2007 4:51:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you have any pics of your rifle? Or of a rifle similarly modified?
Link Posted: 6/25/2007 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/30/2007 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#9]
great post.

I've heard good things about the sights you mention.  Will give 'em a shot.
Link Posted: 7/1/2007 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/3/2007 5:18:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: monkeyman] [#11]
Just a suggestion. I have all kinds of magazines for my 10/22s including the Butler Creek mags. I even have some old Ramline hi cap mags from the 1980s.

For target shooting however, I find the Eagle 10 round mags work well. They are easier to insert and take out than the factory mags and are more compact than the hi cap mags. They are also reliable, fairly cheap, and they clip together.  Eagle makes 30 round mags that sometimes work, but I've found the 10 rounders to be very reliable and easy to use at the range.

Link Posted: 7/3/2007 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/24/2007 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Great write up raf!

I've been waiting forever to do this to an extra 10/22 that I own.   The advice you give in this article is great!    Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:16:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah I am glad someone is thinking what I have been thinking...

My buddy argues that getting a 10/22 would be pointless... but I can't afford .223 and 7.62 as often as I'd like to shoot... And practice is practice... he thinks shooting a 10/22 would'nt build up skills at all vs. an AK or an AR... but I beg to differ...

I think shooting a 10/22 with the proper set up can prove to be very good at developing skills with rifles.

I am actually going to use it not only for long range skill developement but also for one shot tactical shooting... since the recoil factor would'nt allow me to simulate re-aquisition of targets... but we have a small course we made ourselves in the feild... and im gonna have one 10/22 to mimic the style of shooting my AR carbine and my AK and just fire one shot into each of the targets... and I will get another 10/22 to practive long range with. Not the best simulation but better then nothing without putting holes in my wallet.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/18/2007 5:51:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kengrant] [#16]
Raf, I would like to know how you mounted your scope along with the Tech Sights.
The rear sight uses the rear screw holes on the 10/22 and all the scope mounts I have seen use them as well.
I did cut a Weaver TO-9 base off to fit in front of the Tech sight and only used the front screw holes for the base. I then mounted a cheap Red Dot on it.
I have several old Weavers that I would like to try but can't think of a way to mount them and still keep the Tech Sights.
                             Thanks
                              Ken

OOPS, went back and re-read your post. you didn't say you used the scope along with the sights.
Link Posted: 8/18/2007 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, I don't have a 10/22 but I do have a conversion unit for my AR15 and 1911.  The advantage being that I'm using the same controls and firearm, only the caliber and recoil is different.  I generally shoot at 25yrds with them.  I also have some of Fred's 25yard mil type targets.  Shooting at the 400 yard silhouette is a real challenge.  I think I've shot more .22lr in the past few months that I have in the last 10 years.
Link Posted: 8/18/2007 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/25/2007 9:21:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BWPerdue] [#19]
Here's my "Liberty rifle."  I have a Butler Creek extended mag release, an auto bolt release, a Volquartsen hammer in it to lower the trigger pull and a VQ extractor, as well, left over from when I had it set up with a tight-chambered bull barrel.  I have the TSR-200 TechSights, plus a flash hider (just for looks to make it look a little more M14-ish).  I put sling swivels on it so I can loop up properly.

I've only taken it out once so far in this configuration, but the sights are great, it shoots well even with Remington golden bullets.  I should be able to achieve "Rifleman" with it if I ever get out to practice more.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v187/bwperdue/1022-1.jpg
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 3:41:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#21]
No, I don't travel much to begin with, let alone with my rifles...

I think the  Tech Sights are the best thing to happen to non-"ultimate" 10/22s.  They are so much better than anything else out there.
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Didn't Ruger come out with a 10/22 rifle that had a longer stock and barrel than the standard carbine?  If so, that would probably be the one to build a "Liberty Rifle" out of.
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes, longer barrel and no front band.  There is also the "Walmart special" that is very similar to the regular production rifle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2007 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By raf:
6) Installed TechSights iron sights on the rifle. Simply the ONLY way to go. Front sight accepts all AR-style posts, and the rear base with stock A1 AR-style aperture will accept any AR-style flip apertute and is also configurable to suit the operator. Mimics the OEM sight picture on the AR/M1/M1A/FAL, and is of top-notch quality. Installed on-hand conventional scope and rings, plus QD cheek riser to compensate for height of scope over OEM iron sights.

Raf,

How did you mount the scope on top of the TechSights?

Thank you,
Accountant
Link Posted: 8/30/2007 1:32:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/11/2007 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By Accountant30339:

6) Installed TechSights iron sights on the rifle. Simply the ONLY way to go. Front sight accepts all AR-style posts, and the rear base with stock A1 AR-style aperture will accept any AR-style flip apertute and is also configurable to suit the operator. Mimics the OEM sight picture on the AR/M1/M1A/FAL, and is of top-notch quality. Installed on-hand conventional scope and rings, plus QD cheek riser to compensate for height of scope over OEM iron sights.

Raf,

How did you mount the scope on top of the TechSights?

Thank you,
Accountant

I did not do so.  Right now, with the Scout scope mount in the offing, it is an either-or affair with the TechSights and the conventional scope.  One could mount both the TechSights and a conventional scope, but the Scout scope mount will eliminate the hassle of doing so, so why bother?

Once the Scout scope mount becomes available, both it and the TechSights go on for good.

what kind of scout scope are you referring  to? Is there a mount that attaches to the original rear-sight dovetail on the factory barrel?
Link Posted: 9/11/2007 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/11/2007 2:20:36 PM EDT
[#28]

The (hopefully) forthcoming Scout Scope mount will go where all Scout scope mounts are mounted; that is, immediately forward of the receiver/barrel interface.  How it will be attached I don't know, but certainly the OEM rear sight will not be useable.  I'll then be using a TechSight setup for irons.

With Techsights for irons, and a Burris scope mounted in Leupold QRW rings, it'll be a sweet set-up, and a lot like that on my MBRs.

Part of the big picture on this is to configure your Trainer to be as much like your own MBR as possible.  The fewer the differences between the two, the easier and quicker the transition will be between one and another.  Most people agree that the important items are sight system/picture and trigger feel, with the actual style of stock somewhat less important.  YMMV about the stock style, but IMHO the sights and trigger do seem to need to be fairly close, and the closer the better.

Who's making this mount though?
Link Posted: 9/11/2007 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 8:54:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Crowkiller] [#30]
Two cheap quick  options for scout scope mounts are
1) scope rail installed backwards,using the front two mounting holes. Good for a light red dot.

2) An after market barrel with the volquartsen barrel mounted base. I believe you can set this one up backwards as well or more eye relief. Of course, then you have to figure out a front sight.....
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#32]
1.  Bain and Davis, Alhambra, CA will put a forward scope mount on the 10/22 barrel for you.

2.  The 10/22 .22 lr with an Eotech holographic is (colloquially) awesome
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:34:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I actually used the Tech Sight set-up, to train a young lady I know prior to her shipping off to the Army. She went from California born Democrat to rifle-person rather swiftly.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#34]
tag
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#35]
I actually like the new tapco stock setup.  I have the Tech Sights on mine, but I didn't like the small peep sight hole so I bored it out to more of a ghost sight ring size.  Makes it a lot quicker.

I have a cheapo extended mag release, and I can put on my Comp M or Eotech on it with ease utilizing the Tapco forarm picatinny rail.

With this setup, it really closely mimicks both the AR and my Sig 556.  

Mine likes Remington Viper 22s best.
Link Posted: 10/25/2007 1:04:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Wanted to add that my buddies and I went out for some informal shoot and scoot training this weekend at the range.   I brought along my 10/22 in the T6 stock with the Aimpoint clone.   It was by far the most fun gun to shoot all day.  

We were running drills with our tricked out ARs and AKs, but we were just laughing at how much fun the 10/22 was in drills.  My smile was this big everytime we got done with our multiple target "engagements".  

What was so fun was you could keep the dot right on target, even with extreamly fast fire.  Even with me pulling the trigger as fast as I possibly could, I was getting every shot on target in a nice little group.  It was nuts.   We couldn't stop laughing.

It was a lot of fun.  

It's not like we weren't accurate with the ARs, or that it wasn't fun.   It was just that I didn't feel my wallet lighten every time I pulled the trigger of the 10/22.   And, I didn't have to spend quite as long looking for as much empty cases at the end of the session.   Hell, even reloading has gotten expensive for 5.56X45.

Link Posted: 11/11/2007 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#38]
So I know pretty much nothing about 10/22s.  My mom has one, and I'm really interested in getting my own and tweaking it to mimic an M1A for training.  What do I need to know about 10/22s (like disassembly, parts, cleaning, action, etc) to get started in 'em?  Is there a link someone can provide me with?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/29/2007 11:50:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Leatherneck556] [#40]
So Christmas is over and I've secured myself a LTR:

Standard 18" 10/22 Carbine with barrel band.  Mods include:
-Volquartsen Auto Bolt Release
-Volquartsen Hammer Pack Kit
-Bell & Carlson Mag Release
-Tech Sights TSR100 (As pretty much all training is done at 25m, there's not much reason to adjust elevation quickly)
-Uncle Mike's Sling Swivels with a black USGI sling.

I also bought some Steel Lips mags and now have only two remaining issues: I need to acquire a rear sight blank somewhere so I can remove the stock rear sight, which is now useless and look a little ridiculous, and I need to fix the front sight.  Due to some... uhh... complications in the installation of the TSR front sight (I have a thread about it in this forum), it is coming loose and obviously won't hold zero.  It was shooting really tight groups (just over 1" from 50 yards in a vice with Remington bulk ammo) before it started coming loose, so I'm otherwise very satisfied.

I've not been doing much scaled-down 25m practice, but I've been working a lot on snapshots at 25 and 50.  I'm getting pretty decent, but I've still got some work to do.
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 4:09:20 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/30/2007 5:44:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 444] [#42]
I put something like this together.
I was trying to get it together for the last Appleseed shoot in Boulder City Nevada but didn't make it.
I have the rifle together and am signed up for the NEXT Appleseed shoot in Boulder City Nevada.

Problem is, I haven't fired the rifle yet. Maybe tomorrow. You don't really need to worry about the price of ammo when you work all the time. Not only are you making more money, you don't have time to shoot anyway.

I owned a number of 10/22 clones prior to putting this one together, but they all had scopes. I also wanted to put a gun together for shooting the Aguila 60 grain ammo. So, I started things out with a Tactical Innovations 1:9 twist barrel. It's threaded for a suppressor but has no iron sights. So, I sent the barrel to Tornado Technologies for him to add a front iron sight. It was really cool how he did it. He took an old factory 10/22 barrel and cut off the portion with the front sight. He then drilled out the bore to a much larger diameter and threaded the inside of it. He threaded my barrel behind the suppressor threading to match the threads on the front sight and screwed it on. Obviously he threaded this so that the front sight ends up being vertical. Very nice work. The gun is in a Hogue stock, and has a GI web sling. Finally, after waiting for what seemed like a year, I got the Tech Sights. I haven't done anything with the trigger or action.
I own a couple of the Tactical Innovations suppressors (the TAC 65 and the Quest) to use with the rifle. The only thing better than having cheap practice is having quiet practice. With the Liberty Rifle, a suppressor, and a safe backstop. You can practice just about anywhere. The suppressor is the next logical step in the whole thought process. The 25 meter targets make finding a range easier and so does the can. You can shoot a lot more places when you arn't making much noise. For a lot of people in the suburbs, semi rural or rural areas the 25 meter AQT targets and the suppressor could easily mean you can keep yourself tuned up right in your own back yard. And, you are exercising another of your gun rights. I realize that not everyone can legally own a suppressor, no need to post that you are one of them. But, there are plenty of people who can own one that don't for whatever reason. It isn't the big deal some people make it out to be. There is nothing to it.

Link Posted: 3/30/2008 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Cool thread...

I've been using a .22lr for drills for a long time. Just go down and pick up a used 10/22 from some pawn shop and start moding it. I installed a Krink kit with a cheap red dot and it's a blast. If you have any questions, check out Rimfirecentral. They also got threads about 10-20 pages containing pictures of Tach style and Sniper style builds that is great for ideas. The best part of all, a 1000 rounds will only run you about 20.00-50.00 bux. That is about 140.00 bux cheaper than a 1000 rounds of 7.62 is for my AKs.
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 1:03:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chucker45] [#44]

9) To-do list: Butler Creek SS folding stock to replicate AR/FAL pistol grip configuration, and Scout scoping the rifle when SS mount becomes available.

FWIW: I was just at a sporting goods store and check out 3 different BC folding stocks.

They displayed a wide difference in fit (craftsmanship)  

One of them wobbled VERY badly when locked in the extended position (both side to side... but really bad up and down).  The second unit was decent, very slight wobble.  The third locked up tight.

Based on what I saw, I'd suggest buying your BC stock from a place where you can pick through a few to get the best sample of the bunch.
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 3:55:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#46]
         I love my 10/22 for what it is (and can be) but for some real training the Ceiner is really a better solution. If you have a AR the cost is cheeper and mags and sights are much better.
         Yes I know they are about impossible to find but sooner or later Ceiner will pop his head out of whatever he has it stuck in and decide to make some. Possibly some other mfg will get on the bandwagon and start kicking out something that works.
          The Ceiner works well,is about as close to shooting a "real"  AR as you can get without breaking out the xm193 and all the sights and control are in the right place. Any add on parts you buy (scopes,red dots,grips ,slings,ect) do double duty as they will work with the 5.56 or the 22 ammo
Link Posted: 5/3/2008 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#48]

Possibly some other mfg will get on the bandwagon and start kicking out something that works.

Spike's Tactical in the Industry forum has done just that. Dedicated .22LR upper for the AR platform and a drop in bolt kit. They use Black Dog 27rnd mags. Very nice setup. So much so that I'm selling one of my 10/22s and getting the Spike's setup.
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 4:18:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 2:07:31 AM EDT
[#50]
For those of you with EOtechs, or other optic which places the centerline about 2.5 inches over the bore (AR height), how does it affect your zero?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top