Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/1/2010 10:54:56 AM EDT
(Moving much of this from GD and will continue to post updates here...)

Decided to try and cut my own stock.  Anyone ever try this?  Any advice?  Yes, I know it is for an SKS, but seems pretty straight forward cutting the action.  The rest of the stock will look nothing like the original.  The wood I had laying around the shop, so it'll be fun to experiment with it.

Basing the back half of the stock roughly on a Savage 110 (borrowed from a buddy).  This is what will assist me in figuring out where to start cutting the action in.

Figured out where to start the action

Now, before I start cutting, time to sharpen the chisels!

Link Posted: 1/1/2010 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
tag for updates!
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Outstanding!  Now I have someone to bug when I get into a bind!  
Link Posted: 1/1/2010 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Outstanding!  Now I have someone to bug when I get into a bind!  

Absolutely. I'll help out where I can

Great lookin' piece of wood there.
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 12:47:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn, this wood has a lot of stress in it!  Ah, well, nothing I can't work around.
Link Posted: 1/2/2010 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm discovering the benefits of machining tools.  Usually don't need this much precision, but I'm finding I'm just not happy with the chisels.

Link Posted: 1/2/2010 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'm discovering the benefits of machining tools.  Usually don't need this much precision, but I'm finding I'm just not happy with the chisels.

http://www.99tarbox.com/images/shooting/stock9.JPG

milling on a drill press... ballsy

Link Posted: 1/2/2010 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

He will be ok with wood.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 5:54:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Guerrilla machining at its finest !
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 6:06:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I was going to go with the router but thought I'd have more control with a mill setup.  I like the mill better.  Wouldn't cut metal this way, but it's working well on wood.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 6:33:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice...........I look forward to the pics as you progress.

My experience with wood is simple gun racks , shelves and honey-doo projects. As far as gun related , the only thing I've done is a grip for my first AK build ( I loved it but it looked a little out of place )

I really enjoy working with wood , almost as much as I enjoy metal crafting ..........but lack of space and equipment (like many here) is my biggest hold-back.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 7:27:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Space I could commandeer.  I could steal both sides of our garage.  Cash flow.  Now that's the real problem!  :)  I don't do either as a profession, so no reason I could give to SWMBO to justify the expense.  Of course, with both metal and wood working tools, I'd still run outa room in a hurry.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
................. so no reason I could give to SWMBO to justify the expense............

I havent heard that term in years ........not since I was hanging out on the FAL Files.

Link Posted: 1/3/2010 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Picked it up in the Woodworking lists back in the days before forums.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 2:59:28 PM EDT
[#15]
It's gettin there.  I need a round nosed router bit now...  Made a couple of mistakes, but nothing I couldn't recover from.  That's what I get for not doing some drawings before diving in.

Fits the space nicely.  Very tight.

Link Posted: 1/3/2010 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Needs more inlet black
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Ordering some tonight.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ordering some tonight.

It is messy stuff, but it is needed. You can get close with the mill, but without the inlet black you will work harder and worse results. Looking good so far.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 5:48:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Used a sharpie earlier.  Not nearly as good...  

Grrrrrrr, no one makes an 11/16 round nose bit.  Gonna have to use a 5/8 and sand into where I need to be.
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Used a sharpie earlier.  Not nearly as good...  

LOL
Link Posted: 1/3/2010 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Mmmmm  11/16 barrel bedding tool.   Tasty

Link Posted: 1/3/2010 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/l_364700900_1.jpg

wht the...

Link Posted: 1/3/2010 7:12:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/l_364700900_1.jpg

I have a set of these, in two sizes. They are awesome and will really make your job easier. Highly recommended. Getting the barrel channel right without them would be hard as hell. They leave an amazingly smooth finish
Link Posted: 1/4/2010 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Seeing this really makes me wish I could mill... I now want a set of AK wood with a Monte Carlo style rear stock... and I have absolutely ZERO need of one!

This is looking really, really good.  I'd love to see how it turns out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I have to say, inletting black is, well, black...and gets everywhere!  Man, am I tired.  In the woods this morning freezing my ass off, then into the shop the rest of the day.  Time for a break.  Oh!  The right tool for the job is a timesaver!  That barrel inlet tool is a dream!

Link Posted: 1/9/2010 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#26]

p2 unknown pwn eta
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 1:30:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I use a small acid brush to put the inlet black on. The stuff goes a long way and I've never had to dip back into the bottle after my first light coat of the stuff. I didn't brush it I dabbed it on with a little twist.

There were a couple of guys at school that would have black hand prints everywhere at the end of the day, shirt, face, door, etc. And if you felt like messing with somebody you would put some on his vise handle.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 5:28:36 AM EDT
[#28]

We used to smear a little Prussian blue on our boss' telephone receiver from time to time .
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Gettin there!  A little wood at a time.  I'm sure this is ugly as sin to the pros, but I'm having fun!

Link Posted: 1/14/2010 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#30]
It's looking good. Make sure you completely cover the receiver and barrel with inlet black, try to go straight up and down when you put it in (hard to do with the SKS design) and remove every spot that has black on it every time, if you rock it it can lead to gaps, and keep your chisels sharp. When I went to school the stock making instructor wouldn't even talk to you about wood until you spent 2-3 DAYS sharpening your chisels, and you were expected to keep them sharp as you go. I would spend 5 minutes getting my chisels ready everyday, sometimes it didn't take that long because I really only used 2 or 3 chisels most of the time.

Shaping is the really fun part, I wish I could shape stocks all day everyday.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I've already got a few gaps unfortunately.  A) Curly wood doesn't cut well and likes to dive, no matter how sharp the chisels are (I do keep em sharp ) and B) I've made a few mistakes.  That's OK.  I'm learning and it isn't anything that will affect anything other than my pride (I hope!).  Of course, with the SKS you have to rock the action into the stock with the mid-barrel as the pivot.  Sucks, but no way around it.  Thank you for the comments and if you see anything I'm doing wrong, please let me know.  The problem with self learning is you don't have the experiance over your shoulder saying "What in the hell do you think you are doing!!!!!"  
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 3:27:47 PM EDT
[#32]
No, you are doing good,  I was just giving general advice and encouragement.  Those were things that I personally had trouble doing right.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Link Posted: 1/14/2010 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No, you are doing good,  I was just giving general advice and encouragement.  Those were things that I personally had trouble doing right.

I definately appreciate your comments, especially since you've done this before.  I do need to add more black.  Got most of it covered, but not all.  That crap gets on everything!  The wife doesn't much like the stuff...already got on one of my good sweaters.  Had to hear the "why are you wearing nice clothes in the shop" speeches again...
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Got the main inletting done.  Walnut doesn't allow as exact match as I would like, especially on tight areas.  It certainly doesn't take as nice a cut as hard maple.  I plan on glass bedding in a couple of spots, so that will strengthen the wood and make it more of an exact match.  Now I have to inlet the trigger assembly.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2010 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Got the trigger assembly just about in.  I'll get pics in a bit.  Things I've learned about cutting a stock.

1) Inletting ain't easy.
2) This stock will win no awards.  I might qualify for a Wiley E Coyote gunsmithing certificate, but I doubt it.
3) Inletting ain’t easy…did I mention that?
4) No matter how bad a job I do, it is 100% better than the Chinese stock
5) Inletting ain’t easy, especially on the trigger…no, wait…everything.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Got the trigger assembly just about in.  I'll get pics in a bit.  Things I've learned about cutting a stock.

1) Inletting ain't easy.
2) This stock will win no awards.  I might qualify for a Wiley E Coyote gunsmithing certificate, but I doubt it.
3) Inletting ain’t easy…did I mention that?
4) No matter how bad a job I do, it is 100% better than the Chinese stock
5) Inletting ain’t easy, especially on the trigger…no, wait…everything.

Inletting is not easy, I don't know if you mentioned that yet or not. It takes patience. The shaping is the really fun part.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 1/17/2010 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Nice

Link Posted: 1/17/2010 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Really cool.  Good work.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 4:55:15 PM EDT
[#41]
The action is preliminarily let.  Once I get the stock shaped and I get close to the finish stage I’ll touch up and bed the action with glass.  It is VERY tight, but doesn’t interfere with the workings at all.  I do not need a spring to get the trigger assembly out it is set in so tight.  That sucker isn’t moving anywhere.  I do not like the design of the SKS in that you have to cut the channel the complete length of the action.  I tried several things to keep a bridge of wood across the span, but none worked out.  When you get to the full length of the channel, it is really hard to clamp the stock in the milling setup I have and still be on solid wood.  Guess that’s why they have the metal bolt that spans the distance.  Don’t think I’ll need it as the wood is a bit thicker than the original, and I plan to keep it that way.

Link Posted: 1/17/2010 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Looking good.
Link Posted: 1/22/2010 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Adding a Arizona Ironwood forearm detail before I start shaping.  Got that added tonight, so the shaping begins tomorrow.  That Ironwood is a VERY solid hunk of wood!  It is quite oily as well.  It looks like it already has finish on it, and that is with a light sanding.  This will be a nice detail to the front of the firearm.  I'm planning on inletting a brass strip between the two woods once I get the shaping in.  

Link Posted: 1/22/2010 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Nice figure on the tip wood

ETA: Did you save a chunk to make a grip cap out of?
Link Posted: 1/22/2010 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a whole other chunk for that.  The grain is darker, but should look pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/22/2010 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I have a whole other chunk for that.  The grain is darker, but should look pretty good.

Awesome, shaping the grip/grip cap area is my favorite part.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#47]
OK, all the hardware is set and installed.  Now I have no excuses.  I'm more nervous about shaping the stock than I was about inletting!

Link Posted: 1/23/2010 10:37:35 AM EDT
[#48]
I was absolutely terrified to start the shaping on my first one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2010 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#49]
looking good..

you can sub in printers ink for doing touch transfers.. and it needs to be a light coat almost dry brush it on..

and remember if you make a booboo you can cover it with a bit of accuragel with brown die added..

and go slow when inletting/shapping..

Link Posted: 1/23/2010 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Wow.  What an awesome looking stock for an SKS.  I cant wait to see more.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top