Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2011 5:21:28 AM EDT
Finally got around to sizing the Hornady 6.5cm brass I generated from testing the LMT MWS with its Noveske 6.5cm barrel with factory ammo.  Will load some 120grain Lapuas and TSXs over TAC and Varget I have for 308.  

Also made my first attempts at sizing a PPU 308 case and a couple of Lapua 243 cases into 6.5cm.  Had to adjust the sizing die by nearly another full turn after finishing the Hornady brass to get the 308 and 243 to check out in the 6.5cm case gage (following trimming).  Both versions chambered and ejected fine from my rifle.  

I may set the 243s aside for now because they have donuts in the neck from the thicker shoulder brass getting pushed up into the neck while the remaining neck brass not trimmed away is thinner.  I don't have neck reaming or turning tools and don't want to risk a possible pressure spike.  Might sell off the Lapua 243 brass.  

The 308 brass looks much more uniform and think I will size and load a small batch to try them out.  I had read that sizing from 308 to 6.5cm was a pain relative to 243 but so far don't see hassles or issues with the PPU 308 brass and the Lapua seems more problematic.  

Suggestions / comments welcome.

Factory Hornady 6.5cm, PPU 308 sized and trimmed, Lapua 243 sized and trimmed, Lapua 243 sized, Lapua 243

Link Posted: 7/1/2011 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#2]
The easiest to make 6.5 creedmoor is neck up 22-250 and fire form them, but the ones you are making look nice. Just be sure to check the neck thickness as they may need the necks turned down a bit. Lapua brass is not the best for reforming. It seems to be soft and the cases want to crush when you try to push the shoulder back.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 9:40:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nice pics. What were you using for lube?

Using Lee lube.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The easiest to make 6.5 creedmoor is neck up 22-250 and fire form them, but the ones you are making look nice. Just be sure to check the neck thickness as they may need the necks turned down a bit. Lapua brass is not the best for reforming. It seems to be soft and the cases want to crush when you try to push the shoulder back.

Thanks for the tips.  Guess I will put the 95 Lapua 243s left up on EE.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 10:00:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

In general do you want the cases to be hard when forming them to prevent crushing?  My naive first guess would be that you'd want to anneal the brass before forming.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#6]
You would think softer brass would be easier to form, but I have a .224 vais which is made from 6.5x55 swede casas. Since it is a target rifle i bought lapua brass to make them from. I made twenty cases and crushed seven. I used some remington brass and didn't have any problems. The lapua cases buckled right where the anealing started.
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks.  You learn something every day.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 1:48:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

can't remember if it was april, may or june edition of handloader magizine had a great write up on the creedmore and fire forming 22250 brass using the cream of wheat method.

Link Posted: 7/1/2011 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#9]
With a 6.5 bullet loaded in the reformed 308 brass it is clear that the neck is too thick so unfortunately more work required than I thought yesterday.  How much time might it take after some experience to thin each neck?
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I did an informal writeup on another forum for taking 308 brass and turning them into 243.  Is there any interest in re-posting it here or in a new thread?  I't's kinda long
Link Posted: 7/1/2011 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I did an informal writeup on another forum for taking 308 brass and turning them into 243.  Is there any interest in re-posting it here or in a new thread?  I't's kinda long

I would be interested in reading it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top