Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2011 1:48:30 PM EDT
I have found another reason why the Giraud is so awesome.  

I have found that if you neck size, you may still need to trim.  In some instances, the case grew to above spec after shooting a full-sized and trimmed case.

Not just that, but even after trimming, I have found about 1/4th of my cases from a certain batch were "sticking" in the Giraud when I trimmed them. Regardless, I still used 4 of these cases and proceeded to reload with them, and sure enough I got "sticky bolts" when firing all 4 of these reloaded cases.  Weird part is all 4 of these cases were well within spec according to my Dillion Case Gauge.

So that is another reason to get a Giraud!  It lets you know when your fireform/neck sized cases will need a full size again.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:30:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Found the same thing when I was reloading .308. I ran a batch of about 50 then resized them. Put them through the trimmer and had them stick a little.

I only loaded a couple to see if they would chamber and sure enough some of them wouldn't. I then went and made sure my full length resizer was all the way down and ran the rest through again. The cause was the machine gun brass that I used sprung back ever so slightly after the resize so I just put the rest through the die twice and that seemed to do the trick.

If the Giraud didn't start sticking then I probably wouldn't have caught it until I had reloaded most of the rounds.

I now know if they don't slide easily into and out of the die on the trimmer that something is up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top