Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2011 1:48:30 PM EDT
I have found another reason why the Giraud is so awesome.

I have found that if you neck size, you may still need to trim. In some instances, the case grew to above spec after shooting a full-sized and trimmed case.

Not just that, but even after trimming, I have found about 1/4th of my cases from a certain batch were "sticking" in the Giraud when I trimmed them. Regardless, I still used 4 of these cases and proceeded to reload with them, and sure enough I got "sticky bolts" when firing all 4 of these reloaded cases. Weird part is all 4 of these cases were well within spec according to my Dillion Case Gauge.

So that is another reason to get a Giraud! It lets you know when your fireform/neck sized cases will need a full size again.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:19:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 10:30:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/29/2011 10:30:57 PM EDT by Recoil737]
Found the same thing when I was reloading .308. I ran a batch of about 50 then resized them. Put them through the trimmer and had them stick a little.

I only loaded a couple to see if they would chamber and sure enough some of them wouldn't. I then went and made sure my full length resizer was all the way down and ran the rest through again. The cause was the machine gun brass that I used sprung back ever so slightly after the resize so I just put the rest through the die twice and that seemed to do the trick.

If the Giraud didn't start sticking then I probably wouldn't have caught it until I had reloaded most of the rounds.

I now know if they don't slide easily into and out of the die on the trimmer that something is up.
Top Top