Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2012 1:22:44 PM EDT
been out of town a few days and just looked at subguns and what do I see. Two colt M16A1's up for sale at $26K each both from the same person.  WTF??? are they smoking crack or something?

Here is a link to one of the ads: http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=20308&query=retrieval
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Also why 2 stamps?
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Also why 2 stamps?

Because they both have a XM177 moderator, which is classified as a Silencer by the ATF and hence requires a stamp also.
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#4]
If they're factory original with matching factory original moderators, they command quite a premium over a vanilla M16A1 for rarity and collectibility.

IIRC, the originals are rollmarked M16, not M16A1.  The one I handled the transfer for was, at any rate.
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If they're factory original with matching factory original moderators, they command quite a premium over a vanilla M16A1 for rarity and collectibility.

IIRC, the originals are rollmarked M16, not M16A1.  The one I handled the transfer for was, at any rate.

Either way, its fishing at best. I might consider $19k for a 639 with moderator, but that is a crispy crispy rifle.
Link Posted: 2/29/2012 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Either way, its fishing at best. I might consider $19k for a 639 with moderator, but that is a crispy crispy rifle.

Yea, I saw those M16s yesturday.  That is a lot of money for them IMO.  I'd love to get a real M16 someday instead of just RDIAS, but their prices seem to be climbing really fast......atleast asking prices are climbing.  Who knows if people are actually buying.

Out of curiosity, since you know this game a lot better than I, how much is just a registered receiver for an M16A2 going for now days?  No matching upper, and preferably used.  It'll be a shooter like my RDIAS, but I'd like to be able to say I own an ACTUAL M16, and not just 2 pieces of metal and a spring .  I'm new to the MG game, and prices are all over it seems like.
Link Posted: 3/1/2012 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#8]
When I see something priced really high, I always assume there's someone pulling the strings, as in sell that thing or else....

With the owner stating that they are advertised, and have idea why nobody is buying??
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 8:52:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, since you know this game a lot better than I, how much is just a registered receiver for an M16A2 going for now days?  No matching upper, and preferably used.  It'll be a shooter like my RDIAS, but I'd like to be able to say I own an ACTUAL M16, and not just 2 pieces of metal and a spring .  I'm new to the MG game, and prices are all over it seems like.

FWIW ... I've been monitoring the market pretty closely since the early/mid 1990s ... and in all that time, I have never, ever seen an M16A2 receiver offered for sale without an upper.

There are only 2,000 transferable A2s, and they either (A) have their original uppers, or (B) have been converted to A2 Commandos and are being passed off at a considerable premium above A2 rifles.

Now, some may have actually been sold, but I have never seen one for sale, nor have ever heard of one being sold.

You can very occasionally find a factory Colt A1 lower without an upper ... in market price, they tend to run about $500 less than a complete A1. I wouldn't buy one, because the entire difference in market value between a Colt M16A1 and, say, a Sendra conversion RR is that they are a collectible Colt ... and losing the upper seriously damages that collector value and premium.

YMMV.

Thatnk you.  That makes sense.  I assume RRs are a lot more common than RIDASs right?  I see RRs everywhere, but don't see RDIASs almost ever.  I feel lucky getting mine. I think I will take your advice and just get a complete A1 or A2.  Thanks again.

Link Posted: 3/2/2012 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, I saw those M16s yesturday.  That is a lot of money for them IMO.  I'd love to get a real M16 someday instead of just RDIAS, but their prices seem to be climbing really fast......atleast asking prices are climbing.  Who knows if people are actually buying.

Like tony said, there is very rarely a stripped lower that once was an A2. Only time I've seen an A2 stripped was a reweld. Nothing wrong with it, but the big thing with the A2's is they were the rarest of the colts, so most collectors want them as they left colt. I've seen a built lower or two of colts come up, but again, like tony said, maybe $500 less then what a built gun goes for. One of the ones I have seen was refinished as well, so yet another knock from the collect ability of it. If you are looking for a shooter, I'd say grab a RR like a sendra. Or if you must have a colt, get an M16. Still a colt, but they go for less money then the A1's or A2's. I wouldn't get a conversion of an SP1, because while still a colt host, it was converted after the fact, so at that point you might as well get a sendra.
Link Posted: 3/3/2012 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My educated guess is that as transferables go, there are about 10 RRs for every RDIAS in the NFA Registry.

Interesting

Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top