Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2006 7:13:06 PM EDT
Buddy of mine that went with me to OFASTS called me up today to tell me his pin hole for his hammer is WAY oversized, he runs it with the KNC pins or whatever they are called and never noticed it till today when he took it apart. Says that the oversized pins he has are loose and fall threw and the stock pins dont even touch. What are his options? reweld, steel inserts? Who does he send it to, to get it done? Does it hold up afterwards? Hes kinda upset and i would be too. Any info is appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 4:04:35 AM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is that either reweld or inserts are acceptable from a functional standpoint.  Those who have had this work and posted results express satisfaction with the quality and durability.  Mike Klos is often recommended over on subguns for reweld work, apparently he will not work on Sendras.  Over on Uzitalk M16 forum is a thread on steel inserts.

But the first question for your buddy is WTF is going on?  Before even considering repair I'd want to know (not think I know) why this has happened.

Sam

Link Posted: 6/29/2006 5:03:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Are the KNC  pins designed to stop this from happening?

Ditto on finding out the why before getting it fixed.
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 10:26:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Any chance he was running a 9mm upper on it?

FWIW, Mike Klos is not taking any work.
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 10:57:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#5]
He ran a 9mm upper for 4 mags, other then that its all 223. He shoots his less then i do mine. He said when he took the KNS hammer pin out it was snapped in half. Which is better, REWELD or BUSHINGS? How much does it cost?
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 2:21:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I bet the pin broke when he was firing 9mm, and he just didn't notice. The straps hold the pin in place, so it just continued to oscillate in the holes until it wallowed them out.

Interesting, but scary.  A stoppage might have saved the RR.  I would think this argues against the use of KNS pins.  

Sam
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I bet the pin broke when he was firing 9mm, and he just didn't notice. The straps hold the pin in place, so it just continued to oscillate in the holes until it wallowed them out.

Interesting, but scary.  A stoppage might have saved the RR.  I would think this argues against the use of KNS pins.  

Sam

I would agree with this assessment.
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Tony, i been waitin for you to get in here with your info. I was sharing the same position with him atOFASTS and i even shot the 16, and it never changed the ROF. Ran non stop, had no reasoin to beleive anything was wrong. I would of noticed if it were mine cause i always switch uppers for .22 and 223, he left his in 9mm.

My question for you Tony is reweld or steel inserts? i emailed M60joe about the procedure and havent got a response yet. Is he the one to go to? I hear lots of good about him.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/29/2006 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you, thats what i have been tryin to get. Ill tell him to check for the commercial sized pin and then if not, go for the inserts.

Thanks Guys.
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 3:44:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Tony;

Gotta disagree with you on the KNS pins.  I have broken several trigger pins (including one SS one) and in every case one half of the broken pin has fallen out, causing the problem to be quickly discovered.  With the KNS pins holding things in place, the damage described above is all too possible.

With all the bazillions of M16s and AR15s in military and government service around the world, you would think that SOME major organization would be using KNS pins if they really did something beneficial.

If you like them on your 16 more power to you, but you won't find them on my rifle.  There's too much of a possibility that they could actually cause the damage you are trying to prevent, as in the original poster's case.
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 6:05:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
With all the bazillions of M16s and AR15s in military and government service around the world, you would think that SOME major organization would be using KNS pins if they really did something beneficial.

Why would they bother with KNS pins when they can just swap out a $50 part and have the gun back in service as good as new?
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would they bother with KNS pins when they can just swap out a $50 part and have the gun back in service as good as new?

Because the soldier or marine using the rifle might not be "as good as new" after his rifle failed.  It's a little tougher to repair a dead trooper.
Link Posted: 6/30/2006 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Gotta disagree with you on the KNS pins.  I have broken several trigger pins (including one SS one) and in every case one half of the broken pin has fallen out, causing the problem to be quickly discovered.  With the KNS pins holding things in place, the damage described above is all too possible.

It was a broken trigger pin that kept firing while wobbling and did not fall out that led me to KNS pins in the first place.

So you switched to a system that is GUARANTEED to hold a broken pin in place?  And hide the problem from you?

And in response to your other post and your conversation with KNS, I will only note that they KNOW OF (and admit to) seven failures.  How many more are there hidden away in rifles that the owners are happily shooting, convinced that they are doing their best to protect their precious receivers?  If KNS didn't think there was a problem, why are they changing the pins?  And I appreciate their selflessness in putting out this product "to save receivers".  Silly me- I thought they were trying to sell stuff and make money!  Then, of course, there's the liability involved if it turns out that they are responsible for damaging hundreds of transferrable receivers, like Gunmachines and their "speed kits" for Thompsons.

Honestly, I hope all you KNS fans are right and they're a good idea.  To me, they are a prime example of an ingenious solution to a nonexistent problem.  Use them and good luck to you!
Link Posted: 7/1/2006 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/1/2006 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was a broken trigger pin that kept firing while wobbling and did not fall out that led me to KNS pins in the first place.

So you switched to a system that is GUARANTEED to hold a broken pin in place?  And hide the problem from you?

And in response to your other post and your conversation with KNS, I will only note that they KNOW OF (and admit to) seven failures.  How many more are there hidden away in rifles that the owners are happily shooting, convinced that they are doing their best to protect their precious receivers?  If KNS didn't think there was a problem, why are they changing the pins?  And I appreciate their selflessness in putting out this product "to save receivers".  Silly me- I thought they were trying to sell stuff and make money!  Then, of course, there's the liability involved if it turns out that they are responsible for damaging hundreds of transferrable receivers, like Gunmachines and their "speed kits" for Thompsons.

Honestly, I hope all you KNS fans are right and they're a good idea.  To me, they are a prime example of an ingenious solution to a nonexistent problem.  Use them and good luck to you!

Bad experience with KNS??
Link Posted: 7/1/2006 5:05:39 PM EDT
[#20]

I would argue it means do not run your RR outside of its designed configuration - 5.56mm. 99% of all breakage I have seen involves shooting something other than 5.56mm MILSPEC. Running it in a caliber it was not designed for is just asking for trouble. If you want to run these non-standard calibers, use an RDIAS and a replaceable receiver.

Probably one of the most intelligent post (and damn good advice!!!) to come out of ARFCOM in a while. I know that COLT manufactured the 9mm SMG, but it was an afterthought, not a design from the ground up based on the 9mm caliber. Plus, the guns Colt were building were geared toward LEO/Military/Gov who can replace a unserviceable receiver without batting an eye.

I refused to use any of my quality R/R receivers with a 9mm setup.

To me 9mm = RDIAS, LL, or Post-Sample

Semper Fi,
M60-E4

RIA M60 W/ US Ordnance E4 Upgrade

Link Posted: 7/2/2006 4:50:07 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bad experience with KNS??

Nope- never had any, never will.  They just never made sense to me.  If I have a broken pin in my rifle, I want to know about it ASAP.  With the KNS system, any such broken pin will be held in place (sorta) and keep damaging your receiver without you knowing anything about it.

A place where the old saying "If it works, don't fix it" applies.

And I also agree with RenegadeX that using the AR15/M16 system outside it's original design parameters is a distinct risk.  Every time you deviate from Gene Stoner's original design, you're in unknown territory.

Not that I'm going to stop- I just accept the risk.  
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top