Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2010 5:28:48 PM EDT
I am trying to decide what type of magazine pouch to use.

My unit has issued us an OTV with Front/Back plates

I will be probably be issued MTV with Front/Back and side SAPIs prior to deploying to OEF.

Since I have to wear a vest, I have decided against a chest rig and to go with magazine pouches on the vest.
I have narrowed it down to the following types of mag pouches (listed in no particular order)

1.FASTmag Gen 3 Single 5.56 Mag Carrier

2.HSGI Taco Mag Pouch

3.HSGI Modular Open Top Double Pouch

4.HSGI Universal Modular Magazine Double Pouch

5.Tactical Tailor 5.56 Triple Mag Panel

I am a little concerned about magazine security of the open top pouches.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Monk

P.S. I am PRP (Mortuary Affairs) so I won't be going outside the wire except for Search and Recovery missions.
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Reasearch, research, research.

If you're concerned about open tops, either make sure they have a top bungie for security purposes or avoid them.

Check out the websites and youtube. There are some reviews I have seen on some pouches that are on youtubue. (OSOE Rallyman I believe it was)
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If you do decide to go with flap style pouches avoid ones that close with velcro.  If the velcro gets clogged with sand/mud forget about them being secure, and eventually the velcro will wear out and not be all that secure anyways.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 1:37:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never had any issues with velcro, and prefer it to snaps that I've got on some of my pouches.  If you aren't going outside the wire, I honestly would stick with what was issued.  

I did order and receive Esstac Triple M4 Wedge pouches, but haven't put them on my vest yet.  We were issued the OTV, and I haven't quite decided how I want them on it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 1:48:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I run the TACO's and they are very secure.  You can add Velcro to your mags to keep them "more" secure if needed.  The only issue I see with them is the possibility of the tops of the mags getting hooked on something (although they lay pretty flat).  If your jumping in and out of vehicles you may want to consider something with a flap.  I ran the HSGI three mag pouches which had Velcro and/or a buckle.
Stay safe over there!
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 2:35:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 2:37:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I will be probably be issued MTV with Front/Back and side SAPIs prior to deploying to OEF.

No one deploys without the MTV as a minimum anymore, you will get 2 ESAPIs and 2 side ESAPIs.  The issue mag pouches are 2 Eagle 2x2s and depending on which MEF you ILOC out of a Eagle speed load pouch.  I personally use the TAG improved bungee mag pouches on the front for speed loads and HSGI universals on the side.  But that is personnel choice thing.

BDS makes an interesting MTV "upgrade" which is a one piece shingle for the mags and an admin pouch for the chest section.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 4:36:59 AM EDT
[#7]
We have an Adapter Kit (which we include free if you request it) to attach any of out Chest Rigs to your MTV or SPC as quick disconnect options..

I'll post pics later this afternoon.

CXS
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 4:43:23 AM EDT
[#8]
All the mag pouches listed are top notch GTG and all that. Just see what fits with your loadout put since you also are looking at the rest of your gear too, not just your mag pouches. There is nothing wrong with the Eagle pouches that should come with your new kit, as long as you have something to also do a rapid reload if needed. You could just add a FAST pouch to the issue and be in good shape. I'm currently running 1 T.T. triple panel, 1 double mag pouch - "standard conf. with a velcro flap" (I think it's Blackhawk) and a FAST gen3. Overall it's a pretty good combo. It's enough to give me a combat load out and I can move things around as needed. If I need to go a little light I can pull the double mag pouch off and still have 4 mags close at hand.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 4:43:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I run the TACO's and they are very secure.  You can add Velcro to your mags to keep them "more" secure if needed.  The only issue I see with them is the possibility of the tops of the mags getting hooked on something (although they lay pretty flat).  If your jumping in and out of vehicles you may want to consider something with a flap.  I ran the HSGI three mag pouches which had Velcro and/or a buckle.

Stay safe over there!

Also add bungee over the top of the TACO's for extra security...

Via our Bungee Replacement Kit..

CXS

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:39:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I would love to have a yard sale with all the pouches I tried on my deployment (08-09)

I settled on open top pouches with retention straps...Tactical Tailor, HSGI, TAG and even the issue 3 magazine pouch shingle was fine...
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:47:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree with all the guys here, any one of the choices you had up top will work for you. So will the issued gear you get from the Marines. After seeing the new stuff they came in with in theater I'm sure that they're happy with it. All boils down to what you want and need for your particular mission. If you're not going to be a shooter then you probably dont need to worry about all the fancy mag pouches  and the USGI stuff will work just fine. If you are a shooter then you might be happy with what you get issued or not...

Preferribly, when I'm in a shooter role I open up my mag pouches and I'm putting together a chest rig to handle that. Normally I use what Uncle gives me and pull the velcro up and tuck it down but I'm tired of that. Plus, more lo-vis deployments are in my future so I need smaller rigs and plate carriers than an Army issued IOTV.

But to answer your earlier question, you'll likely be satisfied with Uncle's issued gear if you won't be in a continuous shooting role.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 10:33:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

We have an Adapter Kit (which we include free if you request it) to attach any of out Chest Rigs to your MTV or SPC as quick disconnect options..

CXS

Here is the MTV with the Warlord V2

Here is the SPC with the DACH

Any of Our Chest Rigs Can be worn on either Carrier.

CXS

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 12:15:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I use only fastmags, no regrets, even upside down. If you've got worries about mag retention, I'd mount em right side up, I drop a mag every once and a while I'm planning on putting a paracord loop around each carrier so its at least a little harder to drop a mag, not that its a constant problem, in all honesty, its mostly the mag's fault, the tan ones fit weird in there, but the black ones are fine, they only fall out if I'm either trying to put the top one back in or if I put it in wrong... or if its like the 1 in 40 chance they just come out.

yes, I'm down a fastmag, I broke it going prone on asphalt, but it was the oldest of the 6 (got it when they first came out) so its seen action, and I plan to replace it, plus, I only run 6 because that's all I need/will fit since that open MOLLE space is usually full

Link Posted: 3/4/2010 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

CXS

Here is the MTV with the Warlord V2

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/DSCF4682.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/DSCF4683.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/DSCF4684.jpg

Here is the SPC with the DACH

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/DSCF4685.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/DSCF4686.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k160/topher63/DSCF4687.jpg

Any of Our Chest Rigs Can be worn on either Carrier.

CXS

man that looks sweet, i wish i had that on my first deployment
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#16]
My chest rig (TT two piece mav) was secured over the back of the gunners hatch when I was gunning, I could reach everything on it...did not like attaching to the vest... The Esstac boar or bush boar is the bomb....
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for all the responses

Holy smokes...every time I think I have done enough research to narrow my choices, I discover more options
I probably should have stated in my original post that I am looking for some thing that will work well with the MTV (issued at ILOC), OTV (issued at Reserve Unit) and civilian courses.
One thing I learned from my OIF deployment in 08 was to start getting my stuff together earlier.

Shooting Table 2, Table 3 as well as some civie carbines course I discovered I wasn't happy with how long it took to retrieve mags from the standard pouches.
The PITA thing about selecting gear is that we go through rifle quals with the OTV prior to getting picked up by an active duty unit where the CIF issues us the MTV.

I had ruled out a chest rig over my MTV/OTV because they look like too complicated to take off or put on in a hurry.
Based on the number of responses here, I need to reconsider running a chest rig.

Again I really appreciate all the informative responses.

Monk
Link Posted: 3/5/2010 12:31:28 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm a fan of the HSGI UMPs.  I had two on my left side with the IFAK behind them.  

That said, I'm not primarily a shooter, so those were a good way to carry 6 mags that were fairly accessible if I needed them.  If you're looking for quicker access you might want to get some shingles on the front flap and the left side.  Stacking works too, however things get bulky quickly when you stack.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top