Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2012 12:43:55 PM EDT
does anybody sell a dummy/deactivated 870 barrel? or is there guidelines to making one? as in drilling holes/welding a plug/etc.?? thanks..
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 12:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

does anybody sell a dummy/deactivated 870 barrel? or is there guidelines to making one? as in drilling holes/welding a plug/etc.?? thanks..

what are you trying to do?

Link Posted: 4/27/2012 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are making a safe training or display gun, that's one thing, but it will still be a "firearm" even with a dummy barrel.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#4]
i need the sbs look/feel with out actually sbs'n it...ive seen barrels like this one for the uzi

http://www.robertrtg.com/uzismgdummy.html

while its still a firearm..its not a functioning barrel..
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 12:38:27 PM EDT
[#5]
You could convert a real barrel by getting a hardened steel rod that's a slip fit in the chamber and grinding both ends to a point, then securely welding the plug into the chamber.
The pointed ends prevents easily drilling the plug out.

Then drill large diameter holes in the bottom of the barrel in front of the chamber and cut them out to large ovals about 1/3 the diameter of the barrel.
By drilling large holes then cutting or filing them to connect them into large slot-like holes, there's no way the gun could be fired even if the plug were removed.
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]
what about cutting a slot out along the entire bottom of the barrel? from chamber up to barrel ring...is there no atf standards for such a thing?
Link Posted: 4/28/2012 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#7]
IF you just want the LOOK, here is an airsoft replica (TOY)
replica

Even a non functioning firearm is a firearm.  No worth the risk when playing with ATF and SBS rules.  IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 9:26:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I agree even with a non functional barrel you are playing with the ATF rules and IMO not worth it. Otherwise get a dummy gun, and cut and paint, the color you want.
Link Posted: 4/29/2012 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I agree even with a non functional barrel you are playing with the ATF rules and IMO not worth it. Otherwise get a dummy gun, and cut and paint, the color you want.

so what about that uzi barrel??  and also ive been looking for the ATF regulations on such a thing with no luck..just like 80% receivers, im sure theres a point where its not a barrel and there for the nfa rules dont apply..
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Disclaimer:  I am not a lawyer and BATF&E is not known for being reasonable or consistent but...

I think you would be fine if you wanted to go to the expense of pinning and welding a full length metal bar into a <18" barrel to the extent that no ammunition could be chambered and that the work was permanent and could not be readily or practically converted back. The 870 would still be a "firearm" but the faux barrel would not make it an SBS. I am basing this on my experience with the semi-auto UZI imports from IMI back in the 90's. They cam with a "legal" 16" barrel for shooting AND a solid 10" barrel with no bore for display. I have never heard a peep from ATF that they were not Kosher.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#11]
If you can wait, why don't you send a letter describing what you want to do to the BATF&E Technical Branch for an official determination. Be very specific about what and how you propose to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top