Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2012 2:16:53 PM EDT
So I purchased a can of xm855 from sgammo last month. I finally hunted down 2 cans shipped for 149.99 each a couple days ago. They came in today and they were both marked "not for duty use" can anyone explain to me the difference? I have read about the different SKUs to increase price but is there a real difference?
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
So the can not marked "not for duty use" is better quality ammo?
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

No, other way around (intuitively enough)!

Prices are up all around because people are starting to frenzy.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I am not sure if you saw but I said the one NOT marked not for duty use is better quality.
I just purchased my first ar-15 and of course get in the game when there is a buying crisis! O well got 3 cans of 420 xm855 so that should last me a while. Found 2 on dsgarms.com for 150 then guessed a coupon code for free shipping. Now they are out of stock and I never expect to pay that little ever again.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am not sure if you saw but I said the one NOT marked not for duty use is better quality.
I just purchased my first ar-15 and of course get in the game when there is a buying crisis! O well got 3 cans of 420 xm855 so that should last me a while. Found 2 on dsgarms.com for 150 then guessed a coupon code for free shipping. Now they are out of stock and I never expect to pay that little ever again.

You're right, I missed the double nots. My bad. Yes, your timing is somewhat bad. But it was like this ~4 years ago as well. I get a feeling prices will come back down again once the hysteria dies back down.
Next year? Depending how the election goes.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 4:27:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A less confusing way of saying it is "the one marked "not for duty use" is lower qaulity.  gotta watch those double nots!
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 5:03:14 AM EDT
[#7]
"not for duty use" means it either failed one of the milspec quality standards or was not tested. It could be missing sealant around the primer or bullet, It could be slightly underloaded and not make minimum velocity for 5.56 or maybe even cosmetic reason. However it does pass all commercial specs so it is safe to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought this was discussed in another thread last week. I thought that someone that would know came on and said it was a lawyer thing the ammo companies came up with to insure that law enforcement didn't use them and they couldn't be liable if they did.

Something about the fact the 855 has a steel core and law enforcement cant use that type of round or maybe it was the military load it has I can't remember. Someone with good search powers ought to be able to find that thread.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 8:30:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought this was discussed in another thread last week. I thought that someone that would know came on and said it was a lawyer thing the ammo companies came up with to insure that law enforcement didn't use them and they couldn't be liable if they did.

Something about the fact the 855 has a steel core and law enforcement cant use that type of round or maybe it was the military load it has I can't remember. Someone with good search powers ought to be able to find that thread.

The 420rnd M855 cases come in both the "not for duty" use and without that marking. 99% sure the "Not for duty use' just didn't meet some military standard, whether it be velocity, bullet tension/setback or whatnot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 5:36:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I posted this in the other thread on this ammo.

"Buy either round. I have shot 1000s of each and never had a problem with either. A couple of weelends ago I went through two of the 420 round cans from Palmetto. The cans were marked "not for duty use". All 840 rounds went bang and gave me no problems. I found six rounds out of 840 that had small dents in the cases just below the necks and they worked just fine in my rifle. It is good ammo."

Nothing wrong with the "not for duty use" 855.
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 3:54:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

"Buy either round. I have shot 1000s of each and never had a problem with either. A couple of weelends ago I went through two of the 420 round cans from Palmetto. The cans were marked "not for duty use". All 840 rounds went bang and gave me no problems. I found six rounds out of 840 that had small dents in the cases just below the necks and they worked just fine in my rifle. It is good ammo."

Thanks was exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I just got two from PSA and neither have any such marking.  Where was it marked on yours?

Link Posted: 4/14/2012 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
"not for duty use" means it either failed one of the milspec quality standards or was not tested. It could be missing sealant around the primer or bullet, It could be slightly underloaded and not make minimum velocity for 5.56 or maybe even cosmetic reason. However it does pass all commercial specs so it is safe to shoot.

exactly!

the same reason ALL xm855 is "NOT FOR DUTY USE" .

Link Posted: 4/14/2012 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#14]
All the XM ammo  is XM for a reason
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 5:47:57 AM EDT
[#15]

it may not work worth a hoot on a haji but it will be the sh!t when the terminator robots come after you...
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

"Buy either round. I have shot 1000s of each and never had a problem with either. A couple of weekends ago I went through two of the 420 round cans from Palmetto. The cans were marked "not for duty use". All 840 rounds went bang and gave me no problems. I found six rounds out of 840 that had small dents in the cases just below the necks and they worked just fine in my rifle. It is good ammo."

I just got two from PSA and neither have any such marking.  Where was it marked on yours?

On the big white sticker on the side of the can and on the sticker on the cardboard things in the can. Not all of the 420 round cans have the "not for duty use" on them.

The cardboard things look like this. No pics of the can sticker because I peel them off,  a green ammo can with a big white sticker on it looks like ass.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top