Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 4:46:16 PM EDT
Are the AR uppers for the .223-.243 wssm  any good? Are they worth the money? The performance of the little cartridges are amazing, and it would be cool to convert an AR.Here http://www.impactguns.com/store/OLY-PCR8223WSSM.html and here http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/ar15_conversion.html is where I saw them.

Oh, and this is my first post, so, hello.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:10:41 PM EDT
[#2]
In the west to go from 250 to 300 yds, to 450 & 500 yds when needed makes all the design propaganda fade in light of performance that works. Dont think of it as a replacement for the .223, Its not intended to be, just think for a moment. Lightning was'nt meant for electricity but because of it we now have it. The WSSM line in an AR platform gives you lightning when you want it. The .223 was designed for a purpose, and now that purpose has been expanded, some say beyond its capability.
But it has served its purpose very well. The manufactures study design to exploits of destruction before they can bring products to market. Just because all manufactures have'nt expanded thier current lineup to include the WSSM format does'nt mean they wont. It means they have had other points of intrest for thier R&D departments first, like M-4 production or .308 cal production. Do not be mistaken Winchester did'nt leave any performance out of this case design, and because it fits in a standard size AR, means they will have to look at its merits after all or again be lagging behind in the design curve that fills thier orders.
   One last comment, custom designers have always lead new frontiers best, they are a good place to start your questions of interest. No disrespect intended.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Good for what they are intended for...shooting longer range with a base platform.  Don't discount creativity.  The idea of staying locked into a 5.56/223 platform is very, very small minded.  I'd hate to have seen that thinking when the Stoner came out with it.  Oh wait....it was there.  The rifle has proven itself that thinking outside the box can yield beautiful creations.  And, likewise, thinking beyond the perceived capabilities of a platform can sometimes open up new possibilities.  AR-15 -> AR-10 -> Tubb 2000.  Pretty nice progression.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#5]
This wasnt meant to make anyone mad, just wanted to make a target gun that would shoot the .223-.243 wssm with semi-auto. The ar-15 is a gun the would adapt to do that easily, and I like that I could change back to .223rem quickly. Didnt mean to make anyone angry, just asking a question.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The WSSM line on the AR-15 platform has proven to be very reliable.  Of course it doesn't have the decades of history that the 5.56  does but with the 100 + WSSM uppers that I have put out, reliability has never been an issue.

I don't think the WSSM on the AR-15 platform will ever be wildly popular, but the following it does have is quite loyal.  Big-game hunting, predator hunting and long range varmint hunting is a perfect spot for it.  Flatter shooting , lighter and less expensive than an AR-10 and you can buy the ammunition at Wal-Mart.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top