Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2009 7:50:02 AM EDT
I want to put the ar style sights on the dpms..Do they take the regular type AR sights???  I want some that you can still put a scope..   was looking at the magpuls????   suggestions??

thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:00:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Man, there are so many out there ,it is hard to make a decision , I assume you mean folding type ,you want to mount a scope ,its seems to be the way. Troy,Yankee hill,Midwest and there are a bunch more ,as said Magpul (not to sure I like the new Plastic ones,for weight I guess),Just make sure if you get a set ,they match ,meaning gas block mounted or rail mounted front sight. It makes a diff. . By the way ,I will be going to Midwest's sights on this 308 build , just my choice.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the Magpuls are for same rail height.  I guess it depends on if your trying to use the front rail (have a model equiped with a rail that is same height as raised rail on upper, or are planing to buy one and install, or if you want to use gas block.  Assuming the gas block thing will work, I don't think I've ever actually seen one on a LR-308 installed.  Even if they don't line up there options, like using a set that have a wide adjustment range manybe using a riser on the front.  What I'm doing on mine is attaching a red dot to the scope, so I can turn at a angle and shoot off the dot for aquiring target fast.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:04:30 PM EDT
[#3]
little confused about thes sights,    to mount the front sight on the dpms it only has the rail on the gas block.... Now if I mounted the magpuls on this riifle would they work  or is it a different sight for gas block mounts???  I see some sights that say for gas blocks...   The whole rail down the rifle is  even so I dont see why it manners.??
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Now I got with DPMS, they said scope only on this gun.....   I dont see why iron sights wouldnt work..??  the gun is the lr308t  Hbar 16 inch barrel....  Im thinking , yes it was designed for scope, but I really dont see why them Magpuls wont work...??
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Now I got with DPMS, they said scope only on this gun.....   I dont see why iron sights wouldnt work..??  the gun is the lr308t  Hbar 16 inch barrel....  Im thinking , yes it was designed for scope, but I really dont see why them Magpuls wont work...??

I don't have the magpuls, but I'm pretty sure they need to be at the same level.  Look at your gun, if the front sight post mount is LOWER than the upper rail how would you expect them to line up?  On the AR-15 platform you have BUIS that are designed for mounting at same height, like for all the ARs that railled handguards.  Then you have a versions that are designed to mount to a lower front sight post.  Not sure if this "distance" is the same on a DPMS LR-308 platform.  

Are you trying to mount a magnified scope or a reddot sight as your primary optic?

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:00:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Assuming the gas block thing will work, I don't think I've ever actually seen one on a LR-308 installed.

I can't afford the scope I want right now, and I don't care if this particular rifle has backup sites.
But just to be able to shoot it right now I bought an Armalite AR10 gasblock front sight for my LR308.
I'm running a Arms 40 I had in the spares box for the rear sight.
I had to crank the front sight post all the way down just to get it near the target at 50yds. It's still a bit low.
It's good enough for what I need it for. I just want to get some trigger time with the rifle pointed in a safe direction.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top