Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/9/2003 8:47:19 AM EDT
I'm looking for a good, mil-spec flattop upper for my fighting-carbine project. I'll be using a Bushmaster 16" lightweight barrel and considered just having BM install it on one of their V-Match uppers. Bushmaster seems to have an excellent reputation is most circles.

Are there any other uppers I should give a serious look at before buying a BM? I want to keep cost down to a minimum. BM quoted me $520 for a completely assembled upper, with bolt assembly, minus the plastic handguards and flash supressor.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:55:35 AM EDT
I love Bushmaster. I also like Rock River Arms. I will say I like the coating Bushmaster uses inside their uppers. The RRA upper I've got showed light wear inside the upper after only a few range visits. The marks are cosmetic only and are INSIDE the upper. Not like you can see them from the outside. That said, I really don't think you can go wrong with one of the better manufacturers like BM, RRA, Colt, etc. BTW the RRA upper I've got has a BM light-weight 20" gov't profile barrel. I LOVE it. I'm sure the 16" are just as nice. I bought my RRA/BM upper from a friend who had Pete in NH put the whole thing together for him. If you're not willing to tackle putting together an UPPER (the lowers are a piece of cake), I'd suggest getting the whole thing from BM. Otherwise, if there is a problem you have to deal with the guy who assembled it and potentially two other manufacturers. Plus all the shipping costs/time.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:57:36 AM EDT
In my experience, RRA upper recievers are very nice. The Bushmaster upper costs $160, the bolt carrier group is $125 and the charging handle is $25. For RRA, the prices are $90, $105 and $15. The Bushmaster stuff has a little nicer finish, but IMHO it is not worth the price difference. Whichever way you go, I'd stick with the Bushmaster barrel.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:35:02 AM EDT
I have an all Bushmaster gun just becasue I wanted to go all Bushmaster but if I were on a very strict budget I would not hesitate to go with RRA if I had to provided I could check it to make sure the rails were in spec and I could return it if they were not.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 10:48:09 AM EDT
My last was a RRA from Pete-in-NH. Good product and good service.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:09:47 AM EDT
I've been in touch with Matt (sales dept) at BM. He said if I sent my lower to BM they would hand-pick an upper with a good snug fit for no extra charge. Right now there's about a 1 week turn-around time for them and the upper and barrel are in stock. I have shot plenty of RRA 1911's and am really impressed with their qulaity. I would not hesitate to go with them for a complete AR upper based on that alone, but I like the idea of only having to track down one customer rep if something goes wrong. I can also probably get a LE discount from BM which will absorb the shipping charges of sending them my lower. Thanks... I'm finally closing in on the finish line.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:18:07 AM EDT
Keep in mind they will have to send the lower back to you through an FFL. So, you will have to pay a transfer fee (unless you've got some other connections). I'm not sure I'd worry to much about fit. Who made your lower? If its a RRA, it WILL be tight with that BM upper.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:37:14 AM EDT
The FFL is not an issue. Just the extra shipping charges. My lower is a pre-ban PWA (Pack West Arms). RRA used them for quite a while before they started using their own.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:55:36 AM EDT
If you send them YOUR lower for work to be done on it and they return it to you, it doesn't have to go through a FFL. Only if it changes hands. I won a standard BM rifle a few years ago and contacted BM about returning it to them (unused/unfired) for upgrading to a CMP and using the same serial numbered lower. The cost was the difference between the two models. They said fine and I UPS'd it to them. When finished, they sent it back to me. No FFL required since there was no change in the legal owner (me). I did have to have the original rifle sent to me from the match officials through a FFL.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:26:09 PM EDT
Hey thanks... That saved me from having to ask another favor of my FFL buddy.
Top Top