Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 12:08:53 PM EDT
I want to get an ar for coyotes and was thinking of a Rock river Arms varmint this will be my first AR. Should I buy a whole gun or the upper and lower seperate. Does barrel length have a big effect on accuracy and velocity? I  was thinking of a 18 or 20 inch barrel. Should I get EOP. Just need some suggestions trying to stay near the $1000.00 range.Thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:23:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Having no experience w/ the RRA Varminter all I can throw at you is this:

If I were looking for a set-up for Coyotes, my choice would be a 20" Bushmaster V-match.  I prefer the chrome lining over non-chrome and the V-match has the Chrome bore.  I've had the V-match as well as the 24" Bushmaster Varminter. (The Varminter is not chrome lined)  Both were exceptionally accurate.  I traded the V-match to my brother after using it to much satisfaction for ~ a couple years on P-dogs and yotes.  It's on my list of firearms to replace.  The Varminter was too long and cumbersome for my tastes although it looked very nifty.  On top of that, the V-match is less expensive than the Varminter as the Varminter also has the BFI 2-stage trigger, which again- I didn't care for either.

As to your accuracy question, shorter barrels can be just as accurate as the long ones IMO, it's just that the long ones lend themselves to be more forgiving... It's always the shooter more-so than the firearm when accuracy is the question.  While long/bull barrels help w/ settling the weapon for a steady shot, I don't care for a rifle too heavy to be carried.  When hunting, carrying is usually a necessity.

Purchasing the lower and upper seperate, doesn't seem like much of an advantage IMO.  If you're wanting to save money, the best way would be to build from scratch.  Further, if you purchase complete, it'll have a warranty which is sometimes comforting but I expect weapons in this price range to be perfect from the beginning.  (On the Bushmaster Varmint/V-match they'll always get the front sight on w/ no cant.... Since there isn't a front sight on it!)

HTH, and if not, free BTT for you.  Welcome to ARFcom rjh34.

Sly
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I would look on guns america.  I was in your shoes 2 weeks ago and I found a slightly used 16" DPMS flat top gun for $650.  It also came with a case and scope mounts and the guns looks brand new.  I know it is not a bushmaster but it will serve my needs.  You might have to wait for a month or so I think think it is worth it.

Jason
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top