Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 5:18:05 PM EDT
ok so i wanted to build my own AR for the first time. but i dont want to hunt for all the parts and all i want is your basic run of the mill AR. something short and something that'll be fun for plinkin at the range. I came across this site and from what i can gather, its the whole kit minus the stripped lower. and i'm seein them go on here for like 75-90 bucks. any of you guys ever done this? are they any good just for toyin around? give me some feedback guys!!!

http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=KMC102M&storeid=1&image=com11prem16.gif&CFID=3552902&CFTOKEN=37813848
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#1]
10.25" upper..... is that the right link?    If so, then I'd better get started on the SBR paperwork before building.....  Anything less then a 16" barrel is concidered a 'short barreled rifle' and requires special paper work (aka approval).

Just order the 16" upper and you'll be fine.  M1S, lots of people have used them, some like, some don't.  But most all agree, the price is in their 'like-able' range.

Doesn't NY have a ban?

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
ok so i wanted to build my own AR for the first time. but i dont want to hunt for all the parts and all i want is your basic run of the mill AR. something short and something that'll be fun for plinkin at the range. I came across this site and from what i can gather, its the whole kit minus the stripped lower. and i'm seein them go on here for like 75-90 bucks. any of you guys ever done this? are they any good just for toyin around? give me some feedback guys!!!

http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=KMC102M&storeid=1&image=com11prem16.gif&CFID=3552902&CFTOKEN=37813848

You should hunt for all the parts.  You will understand the rifle better.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#3]
lol, aww crap i posted the wrong link. same thing only the typical CAR style with a 16" barrel. how does the ban in NY work with regular CAR AR's ???
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:42:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Of the two kits that I've purchased from Model 1 Sales, BOTH of them had misaligned front sights.  I repaired the misalignment, but I shouldn't have had to. It was cheaper to repair them than to ship them back for replacement and take a chance on getting more misaligned barrels/sights.

I'm sticking with Bushmaster
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you ck'ed out J&T ? www.jtdistributing.com/  

Edited to say-------Sorry i forgot there site is down for construction .
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I think you will be ok with an M1S kit, they are not the best, but there not overly expensive either. The last time I built an M1S kit the roll pin for the bolt catch was a little big and I had to Dremel it down a bit and the spring for the front take down pin had to lose a few coils. Study up on the stuff in the build it yourself section of this web site. Also you might want to get the tool for installing the front pivot pin spring and detent.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Make sure it is ban compliant or you'll have a problem, unless you are exempt (IE LEO).

Mike
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:41:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Of the two kits that I've purchased from Model 1 Sales, BOTH of them had misaligned front sights.  I repaired the misalignment, but I shouldn't have had to. It was cheaper to repair them than to ship them back for replacement and take a chance on getting more misaligned barrels/sights.

I'm sticking with Bushmaster

You have not heard of Bushmasters famous (canted) sight!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#9]
You also might look at Del-Ton for a kit.  I am also looking at a 16" CAR build and from the posts I have read have a pretty good reputation.  I belive their basic kit starts at $455, only $20 more than the M1S.

Good luck and have fun!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
lol, aww crap i posted the wrong link. same thing only the typical CAR style with a 16" barrel. how does the ban in NY work with regular CAR AR's ???

I'm not sure about NY state or if it's the city of NY..... I bet someone will chime in from that state.  Sad though.... most of NY state is still open country...but NY city destroys it for the rest of the state....

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top