Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/10/2008 9:50:45 PM EDT
whats the difference between the KAC M4 RAS and M4 RIS? I know one has a slotted screw and the other a hex screw but what elles?
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The way they connect to the rifle and the barrel profile they will fit on... Dont quote me but I believe the RIS wont fit on heavy contour rifles...
Link Posted: 4/10/2008 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#2]
The RAS is designed for M4-type barrels that have a specific contour behind the front sight. I don't remember exactly what the measurement is. It's .830" or so IIRC. The RAS has a clamp that attaches to the barrel nut.

The RIS works with most barrel profiles. It clamps onto the handguard cap.

The RAS is a newer, better design. IMO the only reason to get a RIS is if you have a barrel that the RAS won't fit on.
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 2:07:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't overlook the ease of installation of the KAC RAS II....

Very decent set-up requiring no FSB or FS removal and quite solid w/ excellent mounting point for the Aimpoint/ARMS #22M68 combo.

mike
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 3:23:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I went KAC RAS for my Defender 2000 M4 14.5

Bought it from OPERATIONPARTS.COM
Good service

The rail handGuard is EASY to install and is ROCK SOLID

wich is the main reason I bought the RAS!

I really cant see putting a Free Float rail on a SHTF M4 Carbine
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 3:24:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The RAS is designed for M4-type barrels that have a specific contour behind the front sight. I don't remember exactly what the measurement is. It's .830" or so IIRC. The RAS has a clamp that attaches to the barrel nut.

The RIS works with most barrel profiles. It clamps onto the handguard cap.

The RAS is a newer, better design. IMO the only reason to get a RIS is if you have a barrel that the RAS won't fit on.

I thought the RAS came First then RIS
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top