Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 2:38:04 PM EDT

what's different about the 2 and how can you tell them apart?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The Mil-spec CAR buffer tubes like Colt, LMT, CMT/ Stag Arms and Vltor have a smaller outside diameter than the non Mil-spec tubes.

The Mil-spec CAR/ M4 buttstocks will not fit a non Mil-spec tubes but a non Mil-spec buttstocks will fit Mil-spec tubes but with a very loose fit.

"Mil Spec" Receiver Extension/ Stock Tube - Which is Which? thread link

REF: Choosing the Best Collapsible Stock for "You" thread link
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:09:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have no idea how there came to be two different dimension tubes. Anyone else know?

Mil-spec tubes have the threads rolled in and then the outside diameter of the tube are machined, but the non-spec threads are cut and the outside diameter are not machined thus the larger diameter.

Rolled process makes stronger threads and prefered by the military, no material are removed in the process.

Non-spec tubes are easier and cost less to make.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I dont know any way to tell them apart just by looking at them, if someone knows, please chime in. the difference in them is their overall diameter. Milspec size tubes are a smaller diameter than non milspec tubes.

Stocks meant to fit on milspec size tubes, like Vltor, LMT Sopmod stock and others, will not slide on to the larger tubes.

I have no idea how there came to be two different dimension tubes. Anyone else know?

9 out of 10 times and as long as it's in person I can usally tell if one is mil spec or not.  I don't know how I can do it I just can.

the reasons I hear why there are 2 different tubes is because it is more of a millling process to take off the extra material on the non spec ones which would add up to more money/time.  I don't know if this is true or if I even beleive it but it is a theory I heard and I got it from the internet so take it for what it's worth
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mil-spec tubes have the threads rolled in and then the outside diameter of the tube are machined, but the non-spec threads are cut and the outside diameter are not machined thus the larger diameter.

Rolled process makes stronger threads and prefered by the military, no material are removed in the process.

INTERESTING

WRONG, BUT INTERESTING

OW
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#6]
OverWatch, please explain how it is .
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:19:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

INTERESTING

WRONG, BUT INTERESTING

OW

expaination
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

INTERESTING

WRONG, BUT INTERESTING

OW

expaination

He just threw a turd in the punchbowl!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Milspec = 1.15" OD, rolled threads = stronger

Aftermarket = 1.17" OD, cut threads = weaker
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top