Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 5:05:04 AM EDT
I was looking at Total Silence inc. and saw some "moderators", where they...........and are some of them nfa regulated? they look like my 5.5 inch FH. please explain................ stickman, you out there?????

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:12:11 AM EDT
[#1]
The original moderater reduces the sound level by a decibel or two, so the BATF considers them suppressors.

The originals were also only 4.5" not 5.5"

I'm not sure what makes total silence's moderators nfa only.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#2]
are you serious........1 or 2 decibals you cannot even notice that at all............... dupes
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:20:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Since when has the BATFE been about preserving gun rights?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:21:16 AM EDT
[#4]
The "moderators" were designed to reduce the flash and noise level of the 10-11 inch barrelled carbine to a more "user friendly" level, similar to the 20 inch rifles. Soince this was a "diminishing" of thw report of a portable firearm, BATF ruled them to be silencers or supressors, if you will, and subject to registration.

24) The terms “firearm silencer” and “firearm muffler” mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication.

From United States Code TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 921 DEFINITIONS

Lonny
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:29:47 AM EDT
[#5]
donovan,

I would look at it as two different way to do it.  The first way would be the easy way, which is what I have done.  The barrels that come from the factory (Bushie for chrome lined and OA for SS etc etc), with the FS already in place, are the easiest way to do it. There is no question that they are setup correctly.

The second way is to use an existing barrel, get it sized and cut down to fit the XM style FS.

Bushmaster lists a few different variations HERE...........

Here is what I started with on my last build

Here is how it has ended up so far
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:11:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The moderators Total Silence Inc manufacturers are not the same as the Bushmaster copies. The Bushmaster copies and copies made by various manufacturers were not made to the same specs as the original XM607 and XM177 moderators. The moderators manufactured by Total Silence Inc are classified as flash-suppressors or muzzle-breaks (depending on the model) and are not NFA regulated. Total Silence Inc also manufactures reproduction NFA moderators for the XM607 and XM177 firearms, which are classified as sound-suppressors.

Sammy

Now here's a good ne for ya:

What kind of noise reduction does your repro offer?

What if... someone redesigned it, so that you had the same look, but better supression? that woudl definitly be something that would interest me (if i could find a class 3 dealer in ND)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top