Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/21/2016 7:04:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 7:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Do you have a link to the original pic or a better copy?

Also, it is a pic of a reenactor and not a vintage 'Nam era photo.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It was posted here Person claims it was in the photos from his grandfather that was in vietnam .

Looking through photos my grandfather took in vietnam I found this picture of a soldier and a shotgun. I'm having a hard time figuring out what it is. The reciever looks super short compared to a "normal" shotgun
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Winchester 1897 you can see the hammer in front of his thumb
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I lean towards the 1897 riot gun, too.  It looks like the ejection port rolls over to the top of the receiver (a characteristic of the 1897).

John Thomas
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I agree with the smart guys above.

Winchester 97.

Not sure but it looks like a take down model based on the front of the receiver.

Here's a non-take down shotty.

And the take down model.

See how it's got more meat in front of the receiver?

My money's on a take down version.

Crappy picture though.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I was leaning towards 1912 takedown. I was having a hard time seeing the hammer on the rear.

Looking at the reciever cutout closer it definitely looks like the 97.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was posted here Person claims it was in the photos from his grandfather that was in vietnam .

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Looking through photos my grandfather took in vietnam I found this picture of a soldier and a shotgun. I'm having a hard time figuring out what it is. The reciever looks super short compared to a "normal" shotgun

BS

The flashlight has ears around the switch, those did not come out until the early 1980's.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 3:29:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

BS

The flashlight has ears around the switch, those did not come out until the early 1980's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BS

They added the switch guard in 1973 actually.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I actually think it's a Marlin 42 Pump rather than a Winchester 1897.  Certainly something that existed at the time, and might have made it there in a duffle bag or even locally procured.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#10]
That is a civilian shotgun. No bayonet lug and no heat shield.

Not to say it isn't government property, just not militarized.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I "qualified" on the shotgun. 1991 or 92. USNavy SeaBees.
I have no idea what the shotguns were. If I had to guess. Ithaca, Rem model 10 or Win model 12.
They did not have heat shields or bayonet lugs.
And FYI all are gear was old. No camo uniforms and M16A1 rifles.

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BS

I'll have to take you word for it. I have purchased several new old stock GT Price with boxes dated into the late 1970's without the switchguard.

Combat troops were withdrawn from SVN by the end of March 1973.

I still think this was a staged photo intentionally made to appear like a grainy older pic.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'll have to take you word for it. I have purchased several new old stock GT Price with boxes dated into the late 1970's without the switchguard.

I still think this was a staged photo intentionally made to appear like a grainy older pic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BS

I concur.  The helmet cover in woodland?  Doesn't look like ERDL to me.  The uniform doesn't look limp enough to have been broken in.  

Note the crease going all the way from the shoulder down to the cuff of the left arm.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BS

I was referring to Fulton.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#15]
another comment from the OP

He served late 65 to 68, I found another photo with an 1897 in it so his guys definitely had them. This just didn't look like one to me for some reason
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Government issued shotguns are found both with and without the shroud/bayonet adapter.  The ones with the shroud are identified as "trench" guns, the ones without are "riot" guns.  

John Thomas
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top