Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2002 9:37:20 AM EDT
I own a pre-ban sporter which has a blocked lower - it's the little steel kind with "colt" stamped on it and pinned in.  

Is it legal to remove the block?  

thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2002 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

I've done this for several customers.
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 3:33:49 AM EDT
[#3]
It is perfectly legal. Only Colt did this and it was NEVER mandated by law.

Be aware that it can be a bit of a PITA. Colt used several different ways to secure these with most being secured with a roll pin and a blind hardened steel pin. You will also end up with an extra hole in the side of the lower, but you can fill it in.
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#4]
How did you approach the removal without touching the receiver?
Link Posted: 12/9/2002 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Be aware that it can be a bit of a PITA. Colt used several different ways to secure these with most being secured with a roll pin and a blind hardened steel pin. You will also end up with an extra hole in the side of the lower, but you can fill it in.
View Quote

Match HBAR blocks use 3 hardened steel pins.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 1:38:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Just curious if you know WHY you want to remove it?  I have owned many blocked lowers and they have never caused me problems....

If you want to use a 9mm upper, you MAY need to file DOWN the upper part of the block and the same MAY be necessary for the lower to work with some 22-conversions.

Otherwise, I have used my blocked lowers with just about anything else I ever wanted to!  If you have a rLL or rDIAS just buy yourself a Post-ban Bushmaster and leave the block in place as your Colt will be worth more as it is....

Oh well, I guess this is off topic....  YEA you can legaly remove it it you want!!!  Just be warned that the value of your lower will drop significantly due to it's removal.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Match HBAR blocks use 3 hardened steel pins.
View Quote

Interesting, my Match HBAR just has two pins securing the sear block. One is a hardened steel pin coming in through the right side of the lower and the other just a roll pin coming into the block from the top.

I think this just goes to show that Colt used several different ways to secure them, and there is no rhyme or reason to it. A friend of mine's lower had his block secured still different than mine.
Link Posted: 12/10/2002 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep - crazy colt patchwork quilt of models, features and changes.  The securing method is probably based on date of manufacture instead of model.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Why remove it?  I can think of one reason: I can't put two stage triggers (neither RRA or Jewell) in my Colt blocked reciever [:|]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why remove it?  I can think of one reason: I can't put two stage triggers (neither RRA or Jewell) in my Colt blocked reciever [:|]
View Quote

IIRC, the reason you can not use the RRA trigger because it is only made for milspec small trigger/hammer pin lowers.  Colt lowers with a sear block are all large trigger/hammer pin.  Knowing Colt though, there might have been a few exceptions to this.  Jewell triggers come in both small and large pin and [b]can[/b] be used on a blocked lower.  CLE triggers did require the removal of the block.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:18:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is most certainly a Jewell two stage in my Colt with the sear block still in there.

As was just previously stated, the only two stage trigger that does require the sear block to be removed is the CLE/Bushmaster two stage. Neither of these triggers are really that good, the Jewell and Rock River are MUCH better and more reliable.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 3:53:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree with rebel_rifle... I have used the same Jewell triggers in many of my blocked Colts and they have ALWAYS fit!  I have both small and large trigger pin lowers and the Jewels work just fine!

Good Luck, but I don't and wouldn't remove the block from my lowers!
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Colt is owned by morons.

Only morons would impose gun laws on themselves when we have as many as we do allready. (talk about complacent they would be happy to let the government roll over our rights.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top