Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2010 9:23:34 AM EDT
So my Del-Ton kit probably arrived and I'm wondering what tools I should buy.
I read the guide and I don't think I need all of that.
Roll pin punches I hear are basically a necessity so which place sells the set that comes with the free brass hammer?
On the guide it says some roll pin holders or something? Are those needed?
I have a bench vise and vise grips and most likely a wood block that will work so I "don't bend the ears".
What else? The vise block that goes in the mag well obviously.. Suggestions on the cheapest there?
I probably won't build another one for quite a few years (not cause I won't get hooked)

Thanks a lot

P.S. Anyone know anything of Dane Armory?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:26:14 AM EDT
And ill also do a proper first build thread once I get back to the states! Adios!
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 10:30:34 AM EDT
If you don't wanna spend a ton on punch sets, etc., just get one of these: RLR350's EE ad

Building the lower only requires some patience, ingenuity, and a couple of punches. For an upper build, you'll need additional stuff.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:11:59 AM EDT
The first lower I did I didn't have any of the proper tools ... substituted small modelling files I had and drill bits for the punches. I got the lower together but did scratch it and scuff it in a couple of places. The two biggest issues I had were the bolt catch and trigger guard roll pins ... be careful with them. When I started the second one I started buying the tools and by the time I was on the forth one I had all the tools to do it correctly and what breeze it was with the proper tools. Good luck
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:29:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ARJJ:
If you don't wanna spend a ton on punch sets, etc., just get one of these: RLR350's EE ad

Building the lower only requires some patience, ingenuity, and a couple of punches. For an upper build, you'll need additional stuff.

I forgot about those!! I remember seeing those a while back and bookmarking them.
Can that plastic block go in the mag well for use in the bench vise?
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 3:23:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By azgunz:
Originally Posted By ARJJ:

I forgot about those!! I remember seeing those a while back and bookmarking them.
Can that plastic block go in the mag well for use in the bench vise?

No it won't, AFAIK. It's not large/thick enough. Truth be told, you don't need the lower in a vise to build it. I built mine on the kitchen counter, holding it between my legs for a few portions. A vise would be helpful, but is not necessary.

The trickiest part for me was the front takedown pin/detent/spring. I kept launching the spring and detent into the ARFCom-approved plastic bag. Using a razor blade to hold the detent down did the trick.

The fragile area is the triggerguard pin, or more specifically the ears on the lower. I used a Coke bottle cap under the bottom ear, and lightly tapped the pin with a small hammer until everything was seated. Then I used a nail set for the last couple of taps.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 11:01:46 PM EDT
Alright yeah f it. Ill just order the basic kit eh? You think those extra screws are needed
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 6:57:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2010 6:58:27 AM EDT by Cochise82]
I just used a tack hammer and duct tape. you may need something flat like a utility blade to hold some detents and springs down at times. It took me 3 hours, but that's while watching American Idol (don't judge me)
Link Posted: 3/11/2010 10:36:12 AM EDT
The basic kit is all you need unless you plan on tapping the rear takedown spring hole for a set screw.

Mine took about 2 hours and three beers.
Top Top