Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2003 9:25:40 PM EDT
I am starting my 1st build job, and rec'd an upper from M&A Parts.  Since the lower hasn't arrived yet, I put the upper on my complete Bushy lower and went to the range.  I noticed that the charging handle was real tough to work. After each shot, I had to hit the forward assist at least twice!  The bolt & carrier moved fine, up til the last 1/2 inch or so, then got real tight.

I only shot 25 rounds, but had to "assist" it almost every shot.  What gives?  Does it just need more rounds to break-in, or do I need to send it back?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:04:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Your gas tube might be misaligned.  This is a hard problem to catch if you aren't aware of it.

I would look at the gaskey and gastube relationship.  One smith showed me a BADLY beaten up gas key from a customer's gun.  That key must have battered the gastube out the front of the receiver.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:01:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 8:09:45 AM EDT
[#3]
As stated, check the gas key, and the screws to make sure they are tight and staked in place. Loose screws could be dragging against the upper. Also check the cotter pin on the bolt carrier, it can also drag against the upper.

Does the bolt carrier move freely when the upper is removed from the lower?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:13:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, the bolt carrier moves fine, except for the last 1/2 inch or so.  It appears that the lugs are binding/very tight.

However I did go out & shoot another 25 rds and it cycled just fine.  Thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Recheck your gas tube, I just had one that was out a little and did what you are describing.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top