Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2003 10:06:39 AM EDT
is it alright to switch bolts and bolt carriers between uppers? I have had people tell me not to do it and people tell me that its alright.

My brother just purchased a well used pre-ban AR with a 20" upper on it, and he wants to put a M4 style upper in its place. Would it be alright for  him to use the bolt and carrier from the previous upper and put it in the M4 upper (ie. saving about 200 bucks)

I haven't looked at the bolt carrier to see what condition itis in, so I can't give any information about that.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Only a headspace guage can tell you for sure, but I wouldn't personally put a "well used" bolt in a new upper. Kinda like putting old tires on a new car--might work for a while but might blow out the first trip around the block.

I'd recommend he just sell the old upper and bolt etc and put the money into a complete new upper, bolt and carrier.

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#2]
replace the barrel and change the bolt or keep the same barrel and replace the bolt.There sholdnt be a problem with changing carriers.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top