Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2012 7:13:46 PM EDT
a guy comes into my shop today looking to sell or trade this for a 223 savage 110 rifle i had in the store just so happened the rifle was mine and i was trying to sell it in the store.
i had picked up the rifle for $200 about 6 moths ago and wanted to sell it to fund a ar build.
needless to say i happily traded and am now the proud owner of this frankengun.
ive shot it and its pretty accurate and functions flawlessly all in all im pretty happy
the question is this ...
any idea what kind of upper this is?? it has a 3 prong flash suppressor a and what appears to be a chrome bcg
no markings on barrel or bolt
any info would help
thanks

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it just me or did he bore out a cav arms lower to fit a Colt big pin upper?
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

That's what I thought when I first saw the pictures....i'm no expert though
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I thought when I first saw the pictures....i'm no expert though

+1
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#4]
pig pin upper??
i was unaware there was such a thing
here are some more pics

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Is your pivot pin the same size as your takedown pin? or is the pivot pin larger (Colt big pin/big hole)

The pivot pin is the front pin.
the take down pin is the rear pin.

ETA the BCG looks like a RRA chrome shrouded semi-auto BCG
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#6]
yup pivot is larger in diameter than takedown

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
yup pivot is larger in diameter than takedown

Your upper is a Colt upper likely made between 1989 & 1993.

What markings are there on the brl at the 12 o'clock position between the front sight base and the flash supressor?
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#8]
no markings on barrel whatsoever
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
no markings on barrel whatsoever

Thats strange. May have started life as a heavier profile and someone turned it down to make a "lightweight" build which was common with those lowers. any manufacturers marking would have been removed in the process. unfortunate.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#10]
i did find this under the handguards
it seems like a letter m

also rifle is quite light
also a mark that looks like a upside down t near the take down pin
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#11]
did colt use a forge code A like that. I dought the upper is a colt. but I'm not a expert. no marks on barrel sagest not a colt. receiver doesn't have a forge code iv ever seen on a colt and werent the large front pivit pins all flat head screws
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
did colt use a forge code A like that. I dought the upper is a colt. but I'm not a expert. no marks on barrel sagest not a colt. receiver doesn't have a forge code iv ever seen on a colt and werent the large front pivit pins all flat head screws

"A" is alcala forge. They provide raw forgings to many companies. It doesnt tell you who finish machined the upper.

Big Hole Colts came with a double screw pivot pin but there are aftermarket pins for converting them to a push pin like function.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 11:03:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
i did find this under the handguards
it seems like a letter m

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-rKtrO8bIm38/TzSjdT-OpMI/AAAAAAAABbg/bYro65HT42I/s800/100_0128.JPG

also rifle is quite light
also a mark that looks like a upside down t near the take down pin

Model-One-Sales has used the "M1S" marking on barrells before.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"A" is alcala forge. They provide raw forgings to many companies. It doesnt tell you who finish machined the upper.

Big Hole Colts came with a double screw pivot pin but there are aftermarket pins for converting them to a push pin like function.

Alcoa is AF and Colt Alco is C AF, the splintered A is Anchor Harvey as far as I know.  That's what's on that upper, it's called a "splintered A". The companies that use the splintered A uppers are Stag, Wilson Combat and LWRC (maybe Olympic Arms too?).  There might be more now, but I've never seen a Colt that had a splintered A on it.  I could be wrong here, but my bet is Stag upper.

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 11:34:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alcoa is AF and Colt Alco is C AF, the splintered A is Anchor Harvey as far as I know.  The companies that use the splintered A uppers are Stag, Wilson Combat and LWRC (maybe Olympic Arms too?).  There might be more now, but I've never seen a Colt that had a splintered A on it.  I could be wrong here, but my bet is Stag upper.

Thanks for the correction of the forge mark.

But AFAIK Stag never made a large hole upper. Daniel Defense made a few flat top uppers that way but its Colt thats known for them.

I checked one of my Colt A2 uppers and it has an "MMA" forge mark. The other is in the back of the safe so i didnt check it. The only upper I found with the "splintered A" is an LMT flat top. I don't think forge marks are a reliable way to determine who finish machined a forging into a funtional upper.

Link Posted: 2/9/2012 11:39:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I missed the part where he confirmed that the pivot pin was larger than the take down pin.  I thought maybe it was just the angle or a glare.

Oly ever make a big pivot pin upper?
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Oly ever make a big pivot pin upper?

I've never seen one and I bought a lot of stuff from Oly before i knew better.
Link Posted: 2/9/2012 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#18]
are you sure the pivot pin is larger?  it may look larger in the pic b/c that's the head of the "speed pins" that cavalry arms used due to it not having a captured spring/detent.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 5:27:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Alcoa is AF and Colt Alco is C AF, the splintered A is Anchor Harvey as far as I know.  That's what's on that upper, it's called a "splintered A". The companies that use the splintered A uppers are Stag, Wilson Combat and LWRC (maybe Olympic Arms too?).  There might be more now, but I've never seen a Colt that had a splintered A on it.  I could be wrong here, but my bet is Stag upper.

my mismatch Palmetto's upper had an Anchor Harvey logo on it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#20]
idk i guess i will need to mtest it with a milpec upper
Link Posted: 2/10/2012 12:47:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
idk i guess i will need to mtest it with a milpec upper

I'd just put it back in the rack and sell it off.
Keep building value and you'll have a Noveske in no time !

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 5:51:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Is the barrel the same diameter all the way down?  Almost looks .750 from FSB rearward but I'm blind.  Any way you look at it for $200 you stole it.  Has a $125 BCG in it and a $10 or more FH on it.  Doesn't appear to be anything special on the outside.  Is the barrel chrome lined and does it shoot heavy ammo without keyholing over 125 yds.  Barrel is definately thin from FSB forward.  

Nice Franken until we know more about the barrel.  If it's chrome lined that's a $50 plus.  Looks like you have something you can sell for a nice profit on the way to building what you want and you can shoot it until you decide.  Many used the Anchor Harvey forge A-2 upper.  Not a Colt but that doesn't matter.  If sight works that's what is important.  Have fun with your new to you weapon.  Gotta be more fun than a Savage 110 but they are pretty accurate for the coins.  Wondering what the seller thought was wrong with the AR?
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 6:34:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Looks just like my cav arms lower:

Cav arms lower by Ry Jones, on Flickr

the front pin does stick out further than the rear pin.
Link Posted: 2/17/2012 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#24]
That lower is a match for BOTH my Cav Arms lowers. The rest is what it is. Nothing wrong with that rifle, especially for what deal the owner seems to have gotten. But then, I am a fan of the Cav Lowers.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top